Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the procedure:
  1. You need V2 of the OVMS hardware. V1 is a whiteish plastic box with a built-in cable, V2 is a black metal box with a separate DB9 connected cable.
  2. You need the Tesla-specific firmware. The best place to get the latest version is: http://www.idleloop.com/tesla/ovms/. Note this site also has pictures of the boxes and instructions for upgrading the firmware.
  3. Once you have the box up and running in your car, and can communicate to it via SMS (Text message) and your smartphone (although smartphone isn't technically necessary), you can program Geo-fenced Homelink via ACC (Advanced Charge Control), which can only be done via SMS.
  4. If you only want the Geo-fenced Homelink feature, the following sequence will work:
    • Park the car near the garage or gate you want automatically opened.
    • Send this text message (just what's inside the quotes) to the car: "ACC HERE"
    • You should get a text message back from the car telling you what ACC slot you just created. I'm going to assume it's ACC slot #2 for example purposes, but you'll probably get back slot #1. At this point you can move the car if you want.
    • Assuming you want the car's first slot for Homelink to be activated, send this text message to the car: "ACC PARAMS 2 HOMELINK 1"
    • You should get a text message back from the car identifying the ACC slot and the parameters set. For instance: "ACC #2 39.123456 -125.98765 Disabled Homelink #1"
    • Send this text message to the car: "ACC ENABLE 2"
    • You should get a text message back: "ACC enabled"
    • If you want to confirm everything send "ACC STAT" to the car
    Remember in the above examples we were using ACC slot #2, but you're probably going to use ACC slot #1. I used that to differentiate between ACC slots in OVMS versus HOMELINK slots in the car.

And you'll need to program HOMELINK in the car normally via the Roadster's VDS. You should be sure that works manually before trying OVMS's geo-fenced features.
  5. Now drive away from your house - say a block or more, then come back home and viola! gate/garage will open!

finally got V2 of the box installed and going to play with this feature. Quick question. Is the ACC HERE command mark a particular location or distance? The reason I am asking is that I can approach my garage thru an alley from two directions. So if it's by distance I should be ok, but position, I would have to set ACC HERE for those two positions correct?

finally got V2 of the box installed and going to play with this feature. Quick question. Is the ACC HERE command mark a particular location or distance? The reason I am asking is that I can approach my garage thru an alley from two directions. So if it's by distance I should be ok, but position, I would have to set ACC HERE for those two positions correct?
There's an ACC RADIUS command that controls the distance. So you just set ACC HERE and the destination and the radius handles the distance for you.

There's an ACC RADIUS command that controls the distance. So you just set ACC HERE and the destination and the radius handles the distance for you.

thanks...I'm having a bit of a problem. When I text ACC HERE, I don't get a response. I am on the latest OVMS firmware. Is there another setting I need to turn on to get the ACC functions to work?

Also didn't see the radius command in the manual. So you are saying I can set ACC HERE and ACC RADIUS combined to get it to work correct?

ok...I'm an idiot. So even though I bought the new V2 box, and it has the newest firmware (2.6.5) it's not the roadster specific one so I have to install that....
Don't feel too bad. When I went to upgrade the firmware, I really carefully followed the very good and detailed instructions for doing so yet the unit failed to work at all after I uploaded the new firmware. Really failed to work, no red light light lighting, no nothing. Tried to upload the firmware again. Same thing. Thought I killed it dead. Then I tried a third time thinking about the saying about insanity and only then did I realize that I was uploading the wrong .hex file from my hard drive. I was not even uploading an OVMS .hex file. So stupid. But it worked great when I uploaded the correct firmware file. It is a great little box!

Ok...

Did the swap out of a working AT&T SIM to an h2owirelessnow.com one.

Followed the steps laid out by tomsax. Since OVMS was already set up, before the AT&T credit ran out and before I swapped SIM cards, I sent the GPRS - - command BEFORE I deinstalled the OVMS to replace the SIM.

Got the following as a response - GPRS: APN:att.mvno User: Password: GSM:AT&T GSM/GPRS: Not connected (0x0042AT+CIPSHUT

Replaced the SIM card. Plugged it in the car. And it works!

On the $10/90 day plan and 5 cents per minute for text.

So, hope that works out. Even if it's double for every 90 days, that's still a savings over the $100 a year on AT&T directly.

I gave up trying to get the OVMS to work a few weeks ago. Removed it and went back to the Tattler. Today i tried to get it set up again and got the same problem. When I run thru the setup steps in the manuel I have the module query answering correctly, the server query answering correctly but the Stat query gives me;

NOT CHARGING
SOC: 0%.

Well actually I'm at about 60% and the GPS query still puts me in the UK somewhere…………
my green light is blinking one time, there is no red.

I did read the Q&A section of the website but must have missed something because the OVMS is still not reading the information from the car. The iPhone app is all "0" also. Some setting needs to be changed because the OVMS is not getting any information from the diagnostic port. If I reattach the Tesla Tattler I get communication so there is a signal from the diag port but my OVMS is not reading it.

What am I missing?

I set feature 15 to '1' and got confirmation that "feature has been set" but when I request LOCK <pin> I get the response "Vehicle lock requested" but the car does not lock.

My phone number starts with 44 which is the country code for UK so maybe thats why the GPS thinks I'm in the UK???
Naaa….my GPS isn't looking for a country code to give me a location……just makes me think the car and OVMS are not on the same page

4Hours later:
Well by making some changes that dsm363 suggested earlier in the thread I now have iPhone connectivity to the app. Still have no data on the status page or Car page but now I know that the GPS Location is in Whales off of A482 around Pumsaint…….. NOT!

confused

Last edited:
Yea I did all of that and settings are good. I can talk to the OVMS via text but it can't seem to read or affect the car. Feature 15=1 and Parameter 14=TR. I have two thoughts; 1) the SIM card which I originally get for the Tesla Tattler is not compatible for OVMS ……. going to AT&T to check that out this morning, 2) the connecting cable from the OVMS and the data port is not functioning properly……. don't really think thats it, but ……….

I'm betting on an incompatible SIM card…..:cursing:

Sent a series of screen shots to:
Support @openvehicles.com

Last edited:
Success!!!!

Thank you Mark for your help. The system appears to be working fine with just the change in one letter ……… the letter "r" or was that "R".
I figured it was some oversight on my part or Sim not set for GPRS availability. Thanks for saving me a trip to the AT&T store ….. which can always be an adventure!

Time to rake leaves ……. thanks again

Great to hear. For others in the same situation, the issue was the vehicle type set as 'tr' not 'TR'.

Just installed the OVMS with success. Amazing device!

However, on the iPhone app my "#14: Vehicle Type" shows "T" (and not "TR") whereas I received during the procedure of installing an SMS with "VehicleType:TR". Have I done something wrong or is the "T" as vehicle type in the app normal? Does it make any difference that I flashed the TR specific firmware after setting up the OVMS?

Just installed the OVMS with success. Amazing device!

However, on the iPhone app my "#14: Vehicle Type" shows "T" (and not "TR") whereas I received during the procedure of installing an SMS with "VehicleType:TR". Have I done something wrong or is the "T" as vehicle type in the app normal? Does it make any difference that I flashed the TR specific firmware after setting up the OVMS?

eMail support your vehicle id, and we'll check the server logs to make sure everything looks ok. It should show TR.

We decided to try H20 Wireless.

Six months in and it's working very well. The service has been reliable and it's costing just $10 every 90 days, so just over $40/year. Today I checked the balance: $6.91 with 4 days to go before the current expiration date, so I had plenty of bandwidth left over for more data and text messages. As an experiment, I recharged it early and was pleased to see the new expiration date (2/19/2015) is 90 days after the old expiration date (11/21/2014), not 90 days after the recharge. It's good to know I don't have to wait until the last minute to recharge.