Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In v2.x Roadsters, the Roadster's speed can be displayed on the LCD near the speedometer. (The analog speedometer is both inaccurate and often difficult to read.) The same trick does not work on v1.5 Roadsters.

It's documented in the Roadster User Guide, available from OpenVehicles.com.
Thank you.

i am unclear, however, from the documentation how I enable it on my Roadster 2.5. In one place I see that the opt-in feature is set to 1; somewhere else that that causes drive logging.

Advice would be appreciated.

It's in Appendix B of the Roadster User Guide.

On the Control/Features screen, item #13 "Opt-In Bits", the features and values are:

1 Digital Speedometer
2 Log Drives
4 Log Charges

Take the values that correspond to the features you want to enable, add them together, and set that value as the "Opt-In Bits." For example:

• Digital speedometer only, set the value to 1
  • Log drives and charges, set the value to 6
  • To enable all, set the value to 7
The logging features require version 2.5.1 or later.

It's in Appendix B of the Roadster User Guide.

On the Control/Features screen, item #13 "Opt-In Bits", the features and values are:

1 Digital Speedometer
2 Log Drives
4 Log Charges

Take the values that correspond to the features you want to enable, add them together, and set that value as the "Opt-In Bits." For example:

• Digital speedometer only, set the value to 1
  • Log drives and charges, set the value to 6
  • To enable all, set the value to 7
The logging features require version 2.5.1 or later.
Tom

thank you. By the way, I love to see data stored in bits not just KB or MB blocks - reminds me of my early days squeezing the most out of limited computers (often in the OS)?

if anyone is planning a new phone app release one day, it would be great to see the speed displayed on the location tab, just as the Model S does.

At least in the iOS app, if you tap on the vehicle in the Location view, it will show you the speed.
I must be doing something wrong: I set the opt-in bits to 1 and there is no change to the orange lit display below the analogue speedometer, nor is there any indication of speed on the iOS location tab.

is there something else I need to do to make it appear? Mine is a 2.5 a Roadster with the latest firmware.

If you close the Features window on the iOS app and bring it back up does it show the Opt-In Bits value of 1? Beyond that, I can't speak to the digital speedometer; our Roadster is a 1.5.

When you tap on the car on the map in the Location view, do you get a little pop-up window? That should show your car's OVMS ID and your speed.

BTW, you can use Reply instead of Reply With Quote to save space on the thread when the context is clear.

is there something else I need to do to make it appear? Mine is a 2.5 a Roadster with the latest firmware.

I think "latest firmware" refers to the firmware in the OVMS module, not necessarily the firmware in the Roadster itself.

From what I understand (I could be completely wrong with this - and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am), the OVMS module does NOT ship with the latest Roadster-specific firmware. The only way to unlock these advanced features is to buy an OVMS module, buy the "OVMS Firmware Upgrade DooDadd", and flash the newest Roadster-specific firmware into the OVMS module.

Habious is right, if you have V2 hardware (black aluminum enclosure) you need the Roadster specific firmware for some features (logging and ACC). You can get your version by going to the vehicle info screen (wait for the connection to go "live", then Settings screen, tap the (i) near the rear wheel, scroll down to view the OVMS Firmware section and look at the Car field). Your version string should be something like 2.6.5/TR/V2. As far as I know, V1 hardware and the generic firmware will do digital speedometer and send the vehicle's speed to the smartphone apps.

See my OVMS Firmware Update Guide page for instructions on updating firmware. For North American owners, if you don't want to deal with the hassle, you can mail your device to me with return postage and I'll update it and ship it back. PM me to arrange details.

simong, what does the iOS app show for your firmware version?

Last edited:
Habious is right, if you have V2 hardware (black aluminum enclosure) you need the Roadster specific firmware for some features (logging and ACC). You can get your version by going to the vehicle info screen (wait for the connection to go "live", then Settings screen, tap the (i) near the rear wheel, scroll down to view the OVMS Firmware section and look at the Car field). Your version string should be something like 2.6.5/TR/V2. As far as I know, V1 hardware and the generic firmware will do digital speedometer and send the vehicle's speed to the smartphone apps.

This confuses me. Mine says...

Car: 2.6.5/TR/V2
App: 3.2.2 (20140628)

Which, according to the research I've done, says I have "the latest, Roadster-specific version". But, I don't. This is how it came out of the box, I have NOT upgraded the firmware in it (I don't have the firmware updater thingy), and the ACC commands are ignored by the OVMS module.

The three parts of the version string mean the following:

2.6.5 is the firmware version. That could be the generic firmware or the Roadster-specific firmware.
TR says you've configured the firmware to expect Roadster messages on the CAN bus.
V2 says you have version 2 hardware

Looking at the code, I don't see any way to tell if you have the Roadster-specific firmware other than trying an ACC command, like ACC STAT. If that doesn't get a response, I would assume you have the generic firmware.

The generic firmware has basic support for the Roadster, including the digital speedometer and reporting the vehicle speed to the smartphone apps, everything that v2.3.2 supported for the Roadster.

Tom:

Thank you for being so helpful and apologies for omitting key information. I have the latest OVMS hardware box (bought 2 months ago) and I blew the Roadster firmware in it before installing (using your excellent instructions!).

OVMS firmware for Car is 2.6.5/TR/V2 and I use the ACC commands for one or two functions.

I didn't realise that I had actually to tap the car on the iOS app to get the speed. It works! That is great.

Can I get it in the car on the display just under the analogue speedo? Or does it appear elsewhere?

There is a speed shown as xx mph in the bottom right hand corner of the little square touch screen on the central console, but it is there whether I have the opt-in bits set to 0 or 1. Yes, when set the value appears if I exit the features screen and then return to it. It is also always exactly a digital version of the analogue speedometer sp for those two reasons I assumed that is not the OVMS created speed.

(The reason I may use Reply with Quote slightly more often than I should is that on an iPad, Reply produces a type in box which only accepts one character before it loses the keyboard, and i have to touch the end of the line to get the keyboard back. This continues until there is a line of two of text after which normal typing is possible. Reply with Quote starts with enough data :) )

There are some notes from when it was first implemented as an experimental feature. Sadly, the YouTube video doesn't seem to be available.

Reading the notes reminds me that you have to enable CAN writing (set #15 CAN Write to 1 on the same screen as the Opt-In Bits), but you must have that enabled if you're using ACC to to do anything interesting.

The speed is supposed to appear on the display just under the analog speedometer. OVMS doesn't mess with anything on the touch screen.

(The iPad bug sounds annoying.)

Should setting the opt-in bits to 1 be enough to enable the digital speedometer or do I also need the SMS command to make it happen? if so, why are both required please?

For firmware >= 2.5.1, you need feature #13 set to 1 (or any odd value, depending on what other opt-in features you want), AND feature #15 to 1. You can set these either by SMS messages or via the App.

If you have to change CANWRITE (feature #15), I recommend resetting the module to make sure the new setting is effective.

Thank you - I do have both set. I will try sending the text command as well and see whether that is needed.

I can verify this works. I just did this (thanks to the recent posts by markwj in this thread).

I had already had Feature #15 set to 1 (so I could do things like lock/unlock the doors). I just sent the "Feature 13 1" command (via SMS). I received "Feature has been set" back from the car and, lo and behold, I now get my speed on the little amber display above the steering wheel! The only negative I see to this little hack is that it still says "amps" next to the number. I very minor complaint, I know.