Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can verify this works. I just did this (thanks to the recent posts by markwj in this thread).

I had already had Feature #15 set to 1 (so I could do things like lock/unlock the doors). I just sent the "Feature 13 1" command (via SMS). I received "Feature has been set" back from the car and, lo and behold, I now get my speed on the little amber display above the steering wheel! The only negative I see to this little hack is that it still says "amps" next to the number. I very minor complaint, I know.

A good test to see if it works is to sit in the car with the ignition on, aircon on, but car in park. You should see about 1 to 3 Amps shown on that display.

Then, SMS "FEATURE 13 1", and the amps should go to zero. After all, you're going 0mph.

The feature is far from perfect, but pretty usable. Nothing we can do about the word 'Amps'. You may find the display flickers every now and again (changing to a weird value, not your speed) - again nothing we can do about that as once in a while the car will win and display the real Amps (as opposed to our faked speed). Watch the video for more information on why that is.

I'm new to the OVMS installation and currently going through the installation guide. I have the module and and antenna. I just need to get a SIM card.
Can anyone tell me if the first post (with all the info) on this thread is still valid. Especially the AT&T information about the SIM card and password. The first post hasn't been updated since 2013 and just want to make sure nothing major has changed.

I'm new to the OVMS installation and currently going through the installation guide. I have the module and and antenna. I just need to get a SIM card.
Can anyone tell me if the first post (with all the info) on this thread is still valid. Especially the AT&T information about the SIM card and password. The first post hasn't been updated since 2013 and just want to make sure nothing major has changed.

A lot of us moved over to h2owireless. SIM cards at Amazon are at $0.01 and the service every 90 days is $10... Search for that in the thread...

My experience with H2O Wireless was a little different. This was about 5 months ago. I got a penny sim card from Amazon, but the H2O wireless site would not let me activate it without some info I didn't have. I did an online chat and the chat told me I needed to buy an activation pack at a retailer. Going to Target, they didn't have anything other then the more costly plan activation kits. But, the sim card came from some online company which had a website with a form for activation. That took about a day to work. I think they just had the activation packets and did it for me from the information I put on the form. Pretty horrible. On the plus side, after that was done, I can refill directly on the H2O site.
I think I got my sim and activation from U.S ANYSIM (they sold the sim through amazon.) Then http://www.h2owirelessnow.com
I agree about not giving any of these sites any critical information. I use a unique password for them and my credit card company has a way to get unique card numbers for online payments. That's the way to go. Those online card numbers can have repeat charges, but the repeat charges have to come from the same name making them hard to steal.

A good test to see if it works is to sit in the car with the ignition on, aircon on, but car in park. You should see about 1 to 3 Amps shown on that display.

Then, SMS "FEATURE 13 1", and the amps should go to zero. After all, you're going 0mph.

The feature is far from perfect, but pretty usable. Nothing we can do about the word 'Amps'. You may find the display flickers every now and again (changing to a weird value, not your speed) - again nothing we can do about that as once in a while the car will win and display the real Amps (as opposed to our faked speed). Watch the video for more information on why that is.
This helped me: mine was working all along. I had not realised that the word Amps was fixed and so assumed the digital speedo hadn't taken. Sorry for the misunderstanding and thank you for the patience.

I finally installed my OVMS with an H2o card and while texts seem to work fine the android app and GPRS does not seem to be working. The module is giving me 2 green flashes (GSM ready). When I send the text GPRS I get back

GPRS:
APN:att.mvno
User:
Password:
GSM:AT&T
GSM/GPRS: Not connected (0x0042)

I assume the GSM/GPRS: Not connected is an issue. I chatted with H2o wireless and he said their cards are for phones only and he was not able to help.

By any chance do you know what I may be doing wrong?

PS it shows my car is on Palo Alto area, far away from Tennessee.

I also received a message:
US0255 (my car id)
vehicle authentication failed (166.192.92.209)

I assume it is due to the GPRS issue.

Thank you

Last edited:
I had an annoying issue with the OVMS last night. The car detected a BMS isolation fault an issue that hits me 2-4 times a year and then goes away after a day or so. But the OVMS sent me over 50 text messages, one like every 10 seconds. I finally had to go down to the car and unplug the module? Is there a way to send a command to stop sending texts and/or to set it so it does not send so many duplicate messages? Thank you

I had an annoying issue with the OVMS last night. The car detected a BMS isolation fault an issue that hits me 2-4 times a year and then goes away after a day or so. But the OVMS sent me over 50 text messages, one like every 10 seconds. I finally had to go down to the car and unplug the module? Is there a way to send a command to stop sending texts and/or to set it so it does not send so many duplicate messages? Thank you

This happens if the car is flapping the alert message (e.g. alert "something wrong", ok all fine now, oh! alert "something wrong", ok all fine now, etc.).

You can suppress these vehicle alert messages by setting FEATURE_CARBITS (#14) to 8. Either SMS "FEATURE 14 8" or use the App.

I seem to remember there was a separate document that comprehensively described how the ACC features worked. I printed it out about a year ago, but I've lost the printout and now I can't find it online either.

Can someone please point me to the link?