Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS not updating temps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

all three temps at the bottom of the screen had been showing 32F but I hadn't really driven it since installing the OVMS. I did today but the temps never budged during the drive or after.

Has anyone seen this? It might be that the car isn't reporting temps through the ODB port correctly or it could be something else configured wrong. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
Paul

image1.png

Ok! I kept searching for info and there were reports that this could be happening when the car is in diagnostic mode. I don't use diagnostic mode but I went to the car, entered diagnostic mode, and then exited it. I turned the car off and now the temps show up!

IMG_2097.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
Interesting! This happened to me a couple of days ago. First time, and I've had the OVMSv3 since release. No idea what triggered it.

I had just picked up the car from service, and all seemed to be working fine with the V3. The car, however, was not happy. The tech apparently didn't attach the PEM fan ducting properly to the bottom of the PEM, and the PEM was running very hot. Yellow on the display, power limited. Limped home. Got it on the charger and watched the temps by using the smartphone app. Somewhere during that charge, the temps - PEM, Motor, and Battery - stopped updating. Looked at the module's Dashboard, and saw the same data, so it's not the smartphone app or the cloud server. The car is not in diagnostic mode (VDS is normal, no temp numbers).

I rebooted the module (OVMS Web Dashboard, Firmware tab, down at the bottom), and waited a while. Temps were zero. I unplugged the car, closed the charge door, and put the car in drive so I could see what the VDS was saying. All fine there. Looked back at the phone app, and now it's numbers were non-zero and looking good.

Been fine since.

No clue what happened, and not sure that putting the car in drive or playing with the VDS to display the temps had anything to do with making the module behave. But, that's what happened.

Reactions: AtAge19
Temperatures should be sent on the CAN bus whenever the car is awake (12v accessory socket live, and little coolant pump in the trunk happily trickling away). That is shown as bright white in OVMS.

If the car is asleep, then temperatures are shown as gray in OVMS.

If the car is awake, OVMS temperatures are gray, and first page shows LIVE connection, then something is wrong.

Temperatures should be sent on the CAN bus whenever the car is awake (12v accessory socket live, and little coolant pump in the trunk happily trickling away). That is shown as bright white in OVMS.

If the car is asleep, then temperatures are shown as gray in OVMS.

If the car is awake, OVMS temperatures are gray, and first page shows LIVE connection, then something is wrong.
Yeah, that's what was odd. The temps were definitely not gray, but were also unchanged. Battery showed 31C, for example, but the pump turned off at the end of the charge, which it shouldn't do if the temp is above 30C. PEM showed in the low 50's, if I recall; Motor also pretty hot. "Live" was clearly active in the upper corner. After fussing with things, all three values returned to sanity, with the battery being in the mid-20's, right about where expected. I forget if the ambient temp value was live or not throughout this "ordeal". Hasn't repeated.

Reactions: AtAge19