Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ovo UK - New EV Charge tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone got much experience of this yet connected to a Tesla (not a wall charger).

I enabled it last week and while it does seem to work it seems to have some odd behaviours...

- When it works it seems to do lots of charges through the night (at 10amps instead of 32?!) as confirmed by Teslafi.
- Yesterday I wanted to trickle charge the car up to 100% during the morning for a long journey, which I started via the Tesla app - the charge kept getting stopped but there is no way of telling how or why this was happening (It was a clean stop, there was no error from the car saying charge interrupted etc). I'm assuming that the OVO app was doing this but there are no logs or indications about this at all.
- Last night the OVO app was set to charge the car to 70% overnight, however the car itself had a charge limit of only 50% set, and indeed the OVO app only charged the car to 50%.

It's slightly frustrating behaviour, which I am happy to deal with as the savings are meaningful, I just feel like if it gave some logs or information about what it was doing (or tried to do and couldn't) then it would certainly help with learning how to work with the app in the most efficient way.

There is also what seems to be a crazy loophole, which I noticed when I was testing the app initially - if you need an "urgent" charge then simply set the departure time to be 1 hour from now instead of using the "urgent" button and it will merrily charge using the savings mode straight away! I would have thought it would make sense to not allow the departure to be set within 6 hours of the current time.

I sent them an email at their recommended email address yesterday morning but so far have had no reply.

Has anyone got much experience of this yet connected to a Tesla (not a wall charger).

I enabled it last week and while it does seem to work it seems to have some odd behaviours...

- When it works it seems to do lots of charges through the night (at 10amps instead of 32?!) as confirmed by Teslafi.
- Yesterday I wanted to trickle charge the car up to 100% during the morning for a long journey, which I started via the Tesla app - the charge kept getting stopped but there is no way of telling how or why this was happening (It was a clean stop, there was no error from the car saying charge interrupted etc). I'm assuming that the OVO app was doing this but there are no logs or indications about this at all.
- Last night the OVO app was set to charge the car to 70% overnight, however the car itself had a charge limit of only 50% set, and indeed the OVO app only charged the car to 50%.

It's slightly frustrating behaviour, which I am happy to deal with as the savings are meaningful, I just feel like if it gave some logs or information about what it was doing (or tried to do and couldn't) then it would certainly help with learning how to work with the app in the most efficient way.

There is also what seems to be a crazy loophole, which I noticed when I was testing the app initially - if you need an "urgent" charge then simply set the departure time to be 1 hour from now instead of using the "urgent" button and it will merrily charge using the savings mode straight away! I would have thought it would make sense to not allow the departure to be set within 6 hours of the current time.

I sent them an email at their recommended email address yesterday morning but so far have had no reply.

The tariff will only connect direct to car, it only wants/needs to know the charge status to work out the Kwh used (and therefore amount to credit) the wall charger becomes pretty much dumb.

The car will charge to a the lowest limit either set by the car app or the charging app - to prevent what's occurred to you I have the car limit @ 84% but the Charge Anytime app @ 85% - this way I always get a charge to the desired 84%

Reactions: p3k4y and Pete UK

Yes about a month in of using it.

You do have to remember to set the car charge to be the same or higher than you set in the ovo app, as @AndyWarrington says. And vice versa.

The OVO App seems to set the charge limit, but it will never go above the max set in the Tesla app/car.

I’ve been setting to 80% in both - but usually car is on 79% when I wake up and have a look.

Probably because the car finished charging hours before the ready time.

you could leave the car limit at 100% all the time and just set what you need on the OVO app, that way you only have to change one thing in one app.

Thanks @AndyWarrington and @Pete UK - I'll make sure to set the car higher than my 70% app limit.

Do you know this from deduction or is it documented anywhere?

Still doesn't explain though why the app is (presumably) stopping charges during the daytime that I am initiating via the Tesla app itself!
Only 'car ready time' stipulates when the charge will end, this in turn will decide when the charge starts. Each time you use Tesla app to tell it to charge you'll likely be charged the full price....

These are from how I understood the procedures & deductions.... 👍

I suggest only using the Tesla app to stipulate the charge level you want, nothing else. To get the benefit of the credit use the Anytime App to do the timings

Thanks @AndyWarrington and @Pete UK - I'll make sure to set the car higher than my 70% app limit.

Do you know this from deduction or is it documented anywhere?

Still doesn't explain though why the app is (presumably) stopping charges during the daytime that I am initiating via the Tesla app itself!

Deduction but also by trial and error. I haven’t found ANY instructions for the OVO app !
(I want to know how to remove the app’s controls, if I ever move supplier for example !). I know this can be done by changing the Tesla account password, but this isn’t the same thing as removing the OVO API trying to access my car with the wrong password randomly
In the future !

So for example the other day, I was away, wife wanted 100% charge. So she set that in the Tesla app the night before. BUT, the OVO app was set to 80%, ready by 0800 as normal. So in the morning car was only at 80% (actually 79%), so she calls me to ask why it didn’t charge to 100% and why starting the charge in the Tesla app keeps stopping, she really needs 100% like ASAP. I have a look (only one person seems to be able to log into our OVO anytime account! Can’t seem to log her in. It just doesn’t work! So it’s only on my phone 🤦🏻‍♂️)
I hit “urgent charge”, it starts but keeps stopping. Then I change the level on the OVO app to 100% and then the car will charge to 100% (the level set in the car).

Another time, I set 100% in the Tesla app but 95% in the OVO app to test it. And in the morning car is 95% charged. As expected.

So the OVO app trumps what you set in the car/app - (sort of, mostly). Unless you set a lower charge in the Tesla app, then you’ll get less ! The car then trumps the OVO app !

Is this the behaviour you experienced?

It’s a bit odd at first but once you figure it out it’s ok. Instructions should be supplied though !

Like I said if you set the Tesla app to 100% and just use the OVO app, changing it from 70%/80% to 100% on the few occasions you need, you can make it work like that.

Reactions: p3k4y
Deduction but also by trial and error. I haven’t found ANY instructions for the OVO app !
(I want to know how to remove the app’s controls, if I ever move supplier for example !). I know this can be done by changing the Tesla account password, but this isn’t the same thing as removing the OVO API trying to access my car with the wrong password randomly
In the future !

So for example the other day, I was away, wife wanted 100% charge. So she set that in the Tesla app the night before. BUT, the OVO app was set to 80%, ready by 0800 as normal. So in the morning car was only at 80% (actually 79%), so she calls me to ask why it didn’t charge to 100% and why starting the charge in the Tesla app keeps stopping, she really needs 100% like ASAP. I have a look (only one person seems to be able to log into our OVO anytime account! Can’t seem to log her in. It just doesn’t work! So it’s only on my phone 🤦🏻‍♂️)
I hit “urgent charge”, it starts but keeps stopping. Then I change the level on the OVO app to 100% and then the car will charge to 100% (the level set in the car).

Another time, I set 100% in the Tesla app but 95% in the OVO app to test it. And in the morning car is 95% charged. As expected.

So the OVO app trumps what you set in the car/app - (sort of, mostly). Unless you set a lower charge in the Tesla app, then you’ll get less ! The car then trumps the OVO app !

Is this the behaviour you experienced?

It’s a bit odd at first but once you figure it out it’s ok. Instructions should be supplied though !

Like I said if you set the Tesla app to 100% and just use the OVO app, changing it from 70%/80% to 100% on the few occasions you need, you can make it work like that.
Yes, you now have 2 limits (the Tesla app and the OVO app). You will get a charge to whichever is lower.

Agree with a couple of improvements:

- Allow multiple concurrent app installs and logins to allow all drivers of the car to make changes.
- sync the 2 limits with Tesla, so changing in one app will change the other limit to keep in sync. (Both limits are needed as not all integrated devices or cars will have their oven limit)

It may be worth posting those on the OVO forum if people agree?

(I do not expect that the dev team will be monitoring this forum 😀)

Reactions: AndyWarrington
- Allow multiple concurrent app installs and logins to allow all drivers of the car to make changes.

I gave up trying to login a second device - just wouldn’t work. But I did install the app on my wife’s phone and add the car a second time! 😬
So we have 2 app’s with 2 different logins and 2 different account numbers now! Now sure if the new one has taken over the control or if both work !(?). Or it’s messed the whole thing up 😂

I am away now but will have a test when home in a few days to see what’s controlling what.

Anyone else having real trouble getting accounts setup with Ovo?

I signed up on 4th April, created account online (works for App and via browser logons) which showed progress of stages. On the 11th April i got email to say switch was successful and to provide meter readings. Provided meter readings and both the app and browser logins showed green ticks for all stages saying switch completed, sit back and relax, account is being setup.

Yet 3 weeks later and no progress, existing supplier says no record of change request and same screens when logging into Ovo account with no confirmation of account number.

First 4 attempts at chat resulted in either being disconnected or advisor saying they needed account number to look into. I managed to get my account number recently but no update on progress. Rang today to ask what is going on and put on hold for 2 mins then it cut off.

Anyone else having real trouble getting accounts setup with Ovo?

I signed up on 4th April, created account online (works for App and via browser logons) which showed progress of stages. On the 11th April i got email to say switch was successful and to provide meter readings. Provided meter readings and both the app and browser logins showed green ticks for all stages saying switch completed, sit back and relax, account is being setup.

Yet 3 weeks later and no progress, existing supplier says no record of change request and same screens when logging into Ovo account with no confirmation of account number.

First 4 attempts at chat resulted in either being disconnected or advisor saying they needed account number to look into. I managed to get my account number recently but no update on progress. Rang today to ask what is going on and put on hold for 2 mins then it cut off.
I would recommend asking this on the Ovo forums. It took a fair while for everything to get setup for me due to the smart meter (about 2 months in total before everything showed in the account), but that was about 5 years ago.

Reactions: jimmyca69
Working out that this new tariff could save me £20 a month going to OVO instead of staying with Octopus IO. How do I sign up to this? I've gone via their website but I need some sort of code to actually do it? Do I need to be referred?

Working out that this new tariff could save me £20 a month going to OVO instead of staying with Octopus IO. How do I sign up to this? I've gone via their website but I need some sort of code to actually do it? Do I need to be referred?
what is an on-peak rate?

currently IO is 7.5p so is lower than OVO (10p).. i could not find the on-peak rate..

do I miss something?