Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ownership Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shocking discovery! I arranged to fly out to California and drive my used model 3 back to Utah. Contacted support as i know ownership transfer takes some time. I was told by chat support I can't request ownership until I have vehicle in possession and the process takes 3-5 days. So on the way from California i will only be able to use destination chargers no supercharger access. There is no way around that this could be a long trip....

Why can’t you use superchargers?

I don’t think the vehicle knows it’s been sold...
How is he going to associate his credit card with the car if it's not in his tesla account?

exactly there is no way to just pay at superchargers with a card you have to have an account.Talked to multiple Tesla reps about getting a temporary account and they all said that wouldn't be possible.

When I sold my first S, it had transferable Supercharging so I didn't have to worry about ownership transfer and the new owner was able to Supercharge for free. When we sold our first 3, we just made a deal to cover Supercharging for the new owner until the ownership transfer was complete.

Try contacting the previous owner and see if you can make a deal. Maybe he'll cover the charges or you can offer to reimburse him.

BTW, not only do you need the vehicle but you need the title too. When selling the S, it took a couple weeks to get the title for the S from the bank so we had to wait weeks before officially transferring ownership.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Lolz! Pay for supercharging?! Noobs.

In all seriousness I completely forgot they charged for this. Even still, I think my original response is still correct. How would the vehicle know it has been sold?

Technically, it wouldn't until the ownership transfer was formally processed. The OP was likely concerned about his M3 being in limbo without a valid form of payment to bill for supercharging. Based on my experience, Tesla actually allows a limited number of charging sessions without a valid form of payment before cutting off access. In any case, I am happy to hear all is well and that you'll get to enjoy your Model 3 worry-free.

Happy driving!