Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100d (2016/2017) Range experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a used p100d and my range bar on the left side (if switched to miles instead of %) shows only 273 miles (437km) on a full charge. The car was built in March 2017 and it has 41.000 miles (65.500km) on it.
Can some of you share your experience? I don’t know how many miles it showed brandnew and how much battery degradation is normal. Is there a graph with “normal” degradation or something?

Thanks and greetings from Switzerland

There are graphs for sure. I don't have a link.
You usually have about 5% 1st year and 1% annually.
I have a 2015 with 90k miles and 9% degradation.

Now - range on full charge as displayed varies much more. There is a process called balancing which involves running the battery close to 0 and then all the way to 100% and letting it sit there for a while (how long is unclear). This gives more accurate display information but is stressful to the battery. So most would say, don't worry about what it says. But I think balancing for a new owner is a good idea.

A quick google shows 315 new for your car. By my degradation rule, you should be 290 or so. That variance is within the range of balancing. It is also in the range of software updates that change the algorithm over time.

Also a cold battery can store less energy than a warm battery. So balancing in the summer my give you a 290 number.

Reactions: AMPd
I have a p100d 2018 with arachnid wheels. When I first got my car it showed 315 miles at 100%.
I have done 39,600 miles and when I charge the car to 100% now it shows 279 miles.
i also have free supercharging for life and use the supercharger network a lot as a have a supercharger just a few miles from where I live. The reason I mention this is that I understand that supercharging a lot reduces the max range quicker.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: eight
2017 P100D here, bought used last June. When I picked it up it sure did show me the 315 miles range at 100% but in less than a year and 13k miles I am at 282 @100%SOC. The car did have 45k miles on it when I got it so it is currently pushing almost 60k miles now overall. I have come to realize that it is a number that can be manipulated and not worry about it too much and just drive the car!

Reactions: El joe
Honestly, how much stock does everyone put into estimated range mileage? I tend to leave mine in percent cause when I left it on mileage, I’d almost always fail to come anywhere near the displayed estimate. Asking cause OP may not have too much to be worried about with the displayed estimate.

One more data point, 2016 p100d bought used from tesla a year ago with 32k miles. 37k miles now. 292mi on 100% charge, no change in the last year. I also stopped putting it in mileage in favor of percentage soon after getting it since I felt much less range anxiety with it set on percentage. Arachnids, and occasional supercharging but no idea usage history prior to purchasing.

FWIW my S 100D bought March last year showed 585Km at 100% a year ago and 606Km in February this year after one of the updates. I've never driven it anywhere near zero so have no idea what the real world range would be, though.
However, my actual, achieved, energy usage as averaged, is 7.05 Whrs/Km less than the car estimates before a trip. I average about 165 Wh/Km real world which co-incidentally works out to....606Km range! (c 379 miles).

One more data point, 2016 p100d bought used from tesla a year ago with 32k miles. 37k miles now. 292mi on 100% charge, no change in the last year. I also stopped putting it in mileage in favor of percentage soon after getting it since I felt much less range anxiety with it set on percentage. Arachnids, and occasional supercharging but no idea usage history prior to purchasing.

to get Charging history (how much Level 2 vs. Supercharging/FastDC Charging, you use the ScanMyTesla android app and the appropriate cable (acquired from a few internet sites). This will show you the KwH you've charged for each.

2017 P100D here, bought used last June. When I picked it up it sure did show me the 315 miles range at 100% but in less than a year and 13k miles I am at 282 @100%SOC. The car did have 45k miles on it when I got it so it is currently pushing almost 60k miles now overall. I have come to realize that it is a number that can be manipulated and not worry about it too much and just drive the car!
Wow it showed no degradation after 45k miles? That’s fishy

Reactions: byeLT4
Thanks for all the answers. I put mine in % as well now and I enjoy it much more this way! My average Wh/km is around 250-300 for now but I guess thats because I am so amazed and excited each time I push the pedal to metal 😀😀
Does anyone know if using the ludicrous acceleration a lot harms the car and/or battery?

Reactions: ccook
Honestly, how much stock does everyone put into estimated range mileage? I tend to leave mine in percent cause when I left it on mileage, I’d almost always fail to come anywhere near the displayed estimate. Asking cause OP may not have too much to be worried about with the displayed estimate.
Not much, it's always higher than what you can actually get. But the thing is it's an accurate measurement of how much energy is in your battery. The miles shown is a constant miles/Wh times Wh reported by the BMS. It's a good way of measuring degradation.

Thanks for all the answers. I put mine in % as well now and I enjoy it much more this way! My average Wh/km is around 250-300 for now but I guess thats because I am so amazed and excited each time I push the pedal to metal 😀😀
Does anyone know if using the ludicrous acceleration a lot harms the car and/or battery?
The Ludicrous mode doesn't directly harm the battery if you're not accelerating that hard, but constant launches can degrade it a bit faster.

Reactions: El joe
another data point for you
2017 P100D 37K miles 90% is 258; therefore presumably 100% is 286 miles; 9% degradation
avg 400wh/mi ; used in Ludicrous mode (occasional L+)
tires staggered 21s Mich PSS - appx 20K miles per change
- yeah i know :)

btw - as confirmed to me by a tech at an SC, I dont believe balancing has any effect since 85KWH days; but an occasional discharge to low single digit % then a charge to 100% will result in a more accurate range estimate