Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D, 760HP and Performance Tests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
doesn't make a difference from my experience.....
one suggestion I have about your latest video is that Tesla's windows should be rolled up once it start going. The drag of that wide open front windows at high speed must be huge. While the Lambo that you drove has the windows all the way up to reduce drag. That could make a big difference when you are talking about two cars that is only 6/100th of a second difference to the 1/4 mile.

Reactions: Cloxxki
Silly question: would the future introduction of a 2 gear transmission improve high-speed performance and millage?
We have now arrived at 2.5 seconds to 60mph. Surely the gear ratio can be extended a bit now, say 20%? It might impact the 0-60 to become closer to tthrreeee aaggoonniizziinnggllyy ssllooww seconds, but hey, supposedly the highway speed acceleration is ratio-limited. If true, wouldný a longer ratio both reduce heat buildup, increase topspeed and the speed it can maintain without overheating?

In case of the S, it doesn't have towing capability yet. Someone educate me, is 0-60 more important than 60-100 or higher, for this type of car?
Once we get track specific Teslas, I imagine the gearing would need to be increased to not lose out for 2-speed Chevvy Lightnings and Nissan Tree. Around a track, at most you start from standstill once. Slowest corners tend to be 30-50mph? And topping out at 155mph is not cool when the other car just keeps pulling to 170mph despite smaller motor and battery.
1/4 is short but anything longer I'm inclined to believe a longer gear would make the race shorter.

Just to show you the level of achievement done by the Tesla P100DL. 0-60 mph was done in 2.54 second. Bugatti Veryon Super Sport (the fastest version of Bugatti) achieved 2.52 second from 0-60 mph. Tesla is 0.02 second slower, but a few million bucks cheaper. Obviously, higher speed is a different story, and no one knows the performance numbers look like with brand new 1500 hp Bugatti Chiron. But great achievement by a 4900 Ibs family EV nonetheless.

Check 2:58 of the video if you want to know all the stats. Note that this video was made back in 2011, and all time/speed measurement was using Racelogic Vbox.

Does any long term Model S owner have any interest in gears?

I ask this question in all seriousness. I've had the cars going on 3 1/2 years now and can not even imagine having to deal with gears and I'm an original gear head :)
*IF* it was possible to have a "super range" gear that I could use on long sustained trips that could get me some significant extra miles, I might be interested but not for racing no.

Silly question: would the future introduction of a 2 gear transmission improve high-speed performance and millage?

Mileage, I doubt it, but performace yes. There's an RPM related taper of power that would be eliminated. But it's really only useful for people that want max acceleration at very high speeds. Not worth the complexity for a road car, unless that road is the autobahn.

the original roadster had 2 speed transmission they had lots of problems along with the electric motors producing to much torque, they ended up just locking the transmission in 2nd gear...

Rimac is much more powerful than the Roadster and Model S P100D and have two gears.
The torque is no issue as a gearbox in a powerfull Ice car get much more load when using launch control compared to a electric motor that is much more easy to ramp up the power more carefully for the first 0.5 seconds.

The problem was Tesla not able to build a gearbox. Tesla did fail to build a Drive Unit with only 1 gear as we can see on all the drive unit issues, so Tesla or the manufacturer Tesla did use was the problem not the torque ;)

Rimac is much more powerful than the Roadster.
The torque is no issue as a gearbox in a powerfull Ice car get much more load when using launch control compared to a electric motor that is much more easy to ramp up the power more carefully for the first 0.5 seconds.

The problem was Tesla not able to build a gearbox. They dint not manage to build only 1 gear as we can see on all drive unit issues, so Tesla or the manufacturer Tesla did use was the problem ;)
Maybe Rimac has tons of issues too, and it just wasn't leaked to the public. We never know what is really happening or hidden in large corporation, let alone tiny start up.

Yes maybe. But it should be no issue to build a gearbox for a electric motor as is much more easy to adjust how much torque and how fast it does ramp up the power for the first 0.1-0.5 seconds.

What often kill the gears is not the torque, its the start when the drive train have some lash/play and use launch control and release the clutch to fast.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Could someone please point out to me the "problem" of simply extending the fixed ratio Tesla has? It was picked before the 2012 car came out, single motor, weaker battery by a decent margin.
Especially for the German market, could they not offer a longer ratio version for those who think 3-4 seconds is plenty quick, but don't want to get in the way of traffic on the Autobahn? If lower revs help with top end acceleration, possibly heat production and subsequently shorter dotted lines, that's a huge plus for German owners I'm sure. And for those who like to take their limosines to the bendy race track, or a salt lake bed.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Could someone please point out to me the "problem" of simply extending the fixed ratio Tesla has? It was picked before the 2012 car came out, single motor, weaker battery by a decent margin.
Especially for the German market, could they not offer a longer ratio version for those who think 3-4 seconds is plenty quick, but don't want to get in the way of traffic on the Autobahn? If lower revs help with top end acceleration, possibly heat production and subsequently shorter dotted lines, that's a huge plus for German owners I'm sure. And for those who like to take their limosines to the bendy race track, or a salt lake bed.
Probably comes down to basic cost and benefit analysis. Tons of cost to develop a reliable 2-gear transmission (is there a good one that Tesla can just "buy off the shelf" from supplier?), but only benefit tiny portion of consumer (germany for example). Return on investment is well in the negative territory. Tesla got plenty of other higher priority projects for engineering resources.

Tesla needs no stinky gear box.
It only needs a more powerful motor cooling system, problem is such a system would degrade efficiency and thus range.

A clever mind remanded me that Tesla uses water/glycol in their liquid cooling circuit. Such a setup is cheap, reliable and have high viscosity (low drag on rotating rotor) but is limited to relatively low maximum temperature when water starts evaporating.
The first step would thus be to use oil cooling with much higher boiling point, that would allow for longer high-power events, but would impose more drag on the rotor.