Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D, 760HP and Performance Tests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it shows on the dash on either end of the energy gauge but no dashed lines on the energy gauge indicating a limit... if you keep pushing it though you do eventually get those again, it takes quite a bit to get them to show I've only managed to get them once on the acceleration side in my 6000 miles of Ludicrous driving...

I blame the motorcycle rider he just couldn't get enough :rolleyes: so of course I was obligated to keep him in the rear view

The limit is very often the motors if the battery is not very hot from supercharging or using battery max power.

To be more specific its the stator that does overheat. And that is the reason dual motor can be driven fast for longer than the rwd model S before power limit.

Here is from 100 kph to 250 kph on a P85D. (62mph to 155mph)

Battery temp did only raise 4 degrees Celsius from 30 to 34 degrees. But Stator did go from 48 to 115 degrees in no time and I got power limit to only 200 kW.

How do you get to this diag screen?

82D23F5D-E7F7-4C36-9CF9-BE866D92925F.jpeg
C4D93BDE-85BA-4BED-888C-0460F639792B.png
Wasn’t sure where to post this. Here goes, just posted on Twitter the following:

SrsTennisBehavior on Twitter

@elonmusk my S P100D is a beast! TY. My 17 vs another 17 in Max Battery Power KWh output in Ludicrous + 561kwh for mine 581kwh for the other at 100% SOC The #s fall apart more as the SOC drops (I’m missing 27HP) I’ve asked SC to look at it many times with no avail. Help please!

Was hoping to get some insight from everyone regarding the drastic KWh/HP differences.
Thank you!

20x1.341 = 27 hp. But if you want hp at the motor then you need to deduct about 10% which is 24.

Regardless, it's about a 3.5% difference which is less than typical ICE variation at that power level.

Cell binning will more than account for the difference. I'm surprised it isn't more as once you account for mileage and other factors like temperature the difference could have easily been far greater and it would still be normal.

Reactions: UkrHog and MP3Mike
20x1.341 = 27 hp. But if you want hp at the motor then you need to deduct about 10% which is 24.

Regardless, it's about a 3.5% difference which is less than typical ICE variation at that power level.

Cell binning will more than account for the difference. I'm surprised it isn't more as once you account for mileage and other factors like temperature the difference could have easily been far greater and it would still be normal.
Got it. Thank you for your explantion! That’s been more informative than anyone at Tesla! Thanks again! It’s a bit disappointing as it does effect the Performance times that I’ve tested with the VBOX on both cars.

If you've done a number of Ludicrus Plus launches with your P100D, the equipment has probably degraded. That much current is hard on the parts.

Specifically the one thing that will cause a reduction in power that is a degradation is to the battery itself. The motors or inverters won't produce less power due to repeated launching, but the battery will *especially* if you expose it to high temperatures through "max battery" which you are by using L+ mode. By doing this, internal resistance will increase which will cause a larger voltage drop at the same current vs before degradation and after which will result in less power. It also decreases range.

Just curious, what do both cars show for range when charged to the same amount say 90% with range mode off?

You might also rule out a software difference or an intentional software reduction in power by logging the current pulled from the battery. You can use something like TM-SPY with a CANBUS cable and Elm327 dongle to log amps.

• Informative
Reactions: UkrHog