Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100Ds with and without Ludicrous - So many questions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like he did get his $20K off, because he bought the car. He's just asking/curious/hoping they might neglect to remove it.
And how to tell if they did.

Yup, they removed the 20K from my purchase price. Just went and signed a bunch of paperwork. They of course messed up my loan documents, like everything else in this process so it took forever to re-do them before I could sign.

My car will be picked up by a 3rd party shipping service in a few days, so hopefully it'll get registered to my account then and I can see if it still has Ludicrous or not. Not counting on it, but it would be great. They did screw up everything else in the purchase process so hopefully they make one last screw-up and forget to remove Ludicrous and the gray wheels.

Wait, isn't there a Ludicrous+ (Plus) option now as well? I wonder what the 0-60 time is on that?

I thought the 2.7 time was for ludicrous and the 2.4 sec time was for ludicrous plus? (when you hold down the ludicrous button and get the "Yes, bring it on" message) or maybe luda+ with launch control?

Im only a 75D owner so no sure but I did have a overnight loan of a 2018 P100D and that was my understanding?

I thought the 2.7 time was for ludicrous and the 2.4 sec time was for ludicrous plus? (when you hold down the ludicrous button and get the "Yes, bring it on" message) or maybe luda+ with launch control?

Im only a 75D owner so no sure but I did have a overnight loan of a 2018 P100D and that was my understanding?
I am in the same boat as you, yet somewhere on Youtube there are videos of Ludicrous (+ or not?) P100D's doing instrument-measured 2.28 sec 0-60's...dang, will have to go look now.

Here’s the latest update for ludicrous cars in software update 2019.8.3. Ludicrous plus has been moved to the driving settings page. When you select ludicrous+ the max battery power warning pops up.

Attachments

• C69AEBA5-9509-46B8-936A-EB3A99010816.jpeg
    C69AEBA5-9509-46B8-936A-EB3A99010816.jpeg
    569.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 876A989D-E6B7-4170-841B-5EC964895AF7.jpeg
    876A989D-E6B7-4170-841B-5EC964895AF7.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 50D65106-C490-40B5-9A9B-796B6D9A8EBB.jpeg
    50D65106-C490-40B5-9A9B-796B6D9A8EBB.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Vitaman and mrbulk
I had my S P100D Ludicrous serviced yesterday and was given a P100D non ludicrous (insane mode).

Lucricrous Plus Mode will give you in the 2.3-2.4 seconds 0-60

Ludicrous is a mode that can be always enabled even for normal driving. 0-60 in 2.7 seconds and amazing passing capability

The non ludicrous P100D has a maximum of Insane mode. I would say it had low 3 second 0-60 and definitely not the same gut wrenching performance as my Ludicrous. Not on the same level, but plenty fast if you've never experienced Ludicrous or Ludicrous Plus.

Half a second incrementals for 0-60 is an exponential feeling as you get closer towards sub 2 second 0-60. I imagine the new roadster makes Ludicrous plus feel gentle ;)

Until recently, all P100D officially had Ludicrous. Tesla had been offering an off the menu option to remove it in software for a $10,000 deduction on CPO cars and possibly inventory too, but it officially always came with Ludicrous. The recent change makes it optional, so cars without may not come with the hardware upgrades needed for Ludicrous.

Ludicrous increases acceleration at launch and passing power substantially, by increasing battery power output to 1760 amps. A P100D without Ludicrous is still a very fast vehicle, but not as fast.

I think the performance cars come with the hardware for Ludicrous. I picked up my new 2019 Model S on the 20th of this month and while I paid for ludicrous it was not active, yesterday I had the car at the Tampa service center and they activated ludicrous and yes, it's a major difference in the seat of the pants acceleration.

To enable L+, you have to have max battery enabled and use launch mode which gets you the maximum 1760 amps.
Without that, L gets you 2.7 seconds 0-60 compared to a P85DL which is 2.85 (3.1 without Ludicrous).

Does anyone have a CANBUS log from a P100DL max amps without using launch mode and L+?

Is there still a launch mode?

i think now instead of having to hit up up down down left right left right b a..... the option for ludicious+ is part of drive mode.
I havent had time to really check on the 2019.8.3 update.

So since now its a slider, i would think you would have to do the regular launch mode route which is just slam on the accelerator.

But honestly i rarely used ludi+ because i am not a patient person, hence why i have a p100d, and that screen where it always says i had to wait for my battery to warm up, sort of killed it for me.

If i had to wait for my battery to warm up, even a prius would beat me at the red light. :confused:

i think now instead of having to hit up up down down left right left right b a..... the option for ludicious+ is part of drive mode.
I havent had time to really check on the 2019.8.3 update.

So since now its a slider, i would think you would have to do the regular launch mode route which is just slam on the accelerator.

But honestly i rarely used ludi+ because i am not a patient person, hence why i have a p100d, and that screen where it always says i had to wait for my battery to warm up, sort of killed it for me.

If i had to wait for my battery to warm up, even a prius would beat me at the red light. :confused:

It just means you need to wait for the battery to warm up to produce as much power as possible. The warmer the battery, the lower the voltage drop will be (assuming same SOC in both warm and cold comparison).

But you'll still get the maximum amps.

The big killer, and I don't know if they've changed this back, is that when the P100D was first introduced, you'd get 1760 amps while doing a passing maneuver. Then they changed it so you only get that doing a launch with launch mode and max battery engaged. Hopefully they changed it back at some point after the outrage but I haven't personally read confirmation of this.

Please keep us updated. I’m curious to know if they’ll disable ludicrous before delivery or if after, what that looks like. Is it a stand-alone software update? How long does it say it will take? Or does the car have to be taken to a service center for them to remove?

I think there used to be a launch mode warning about excess wear. Is that gone now?

The warning is very much still there. The difference in the interface is that you can more easily enable Max Battery. Ludicrous+ now shows up right next to Ludicrous in the standard menu. If you want the interface changes, you still have to use the Easter Egg which still has the warning.

No idea if power levels are different between either of these options or if you have to use Launch Mode to get maximum amperage.