Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D crowd: Competing vs. high-performance ICE from a roll?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We really should petition Chris Harris / Top Gear to redo their stupid M3P vs The Rest clip, with their nerfed . . . . . cold battery M3P that was also at 57% SOC ... especially now with the Nov update ... but it'll likely fall on deaf ears, since it's TG. I really like Harris, but ... he answers to ... :(

... while it's true enough Gs will cause a human to pass it, it's a lot more of them than any production vehicle can produce. Like, a LOT a lot more.

I'm unaware of any production car that even hits 2gs (the really really quick ones are in the 1.x range... the P3D is not... I think the Dodge Demon at 1.8gs holds the current record)

A typical human can handle ~5gs before any concern for consciousness.

How quick is 5 gs? A top-fuel dragster can go from 0-100 MPH (not 60) in about 0.86 second which is just a little over 5gs.

That's comforting, if true. I hate physical body limits. I was just surprised when the acceleration of a P100DL made me dizzy. Never experienced anything like that before, and made me doubt how much further the limits could be pushed.

I don’t think people understand the orders of magnitude it takes to keep getting faster. Going from a 6-second 0-60 to a 5, to a 4, to a 3... all completely different things. Once you get below 3, it starts getting absolutely insane. Diminishing returns and all that.

Also we should take a moment to appreciate the fact that here we are comparing a car that’s been out for ~2 years against seasoned veterans of the industry that have been refined over decades... imagine where we’ll be in 20 years.

Nowhere? Like you said it's harder and harder anything under 3 seconds. PLUS there is a physical limit. I think the physical limit was 1.9 sec for a production car? I remember seeing an analysis.

Nowhere? Like you said it's harder and harder anything under 3 seconds. PLUS there is a physical limit. I think the physical limit was 1.9 sec for a production car? I remember seeing an analysis.
Acceleration to 60 for today’s EVs is a non-issue. I don’t even care past this point - it’s already absurd. I drive the piss out of my 3 and can’t even keep my foot pinned for more than a second or two. There are plenty of other areas to improve on like energy density, weight, longevity, cold weather performance, etc. We’re only just getting started.

Also I remember reading about ~2.9 second “theoretical maximums” around when the Veyron came out. We saw how long that lasted.

We really should petition Chris Harris / Top Gear to redo their stupid M3P vs The Rest clip, with their nerfed . . . . . cold battery M3P that was also at 57% SOC [/MEDIA]
Screw Top Gear. During and After the Clarkson, Hammond, and Mr. Slow period. A bunch of anti-EV bigots.

But I do like that early Top Gear. Like eating cheesecake. A guilty pleasure. And watching Hammond crash a Rimac EV. A sight to behold.

Reactions: MountainPass
I didn't watch the Top Gear segment, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were at least partially biased against EVs, but it is worth noting the limitation of EVs that they have less power as the battery charge level goes down. In the real world, when you find yourself in a situation where you might floor it, it's completely normal that you would only be at 57% state of charge. This is one area where gas cars have a slight advantage, as their power holds full all the way to empty. EVs can overcome this by pressing their other advantages, but it's still a notable factor.

Those videos look familiar?

It's also worth noting the price difference between these two vehicles is close to $45,000.

So for the cost of an AWD M5 you can buy a Model 3 Performance and still have $45,000 to build a car faster than both of the. Or buy and build up two really fast supersport motorcycles.

The m5 is nicer is just about every regard. Theres a reason why it's significantly more expensive. I'm not a fan of bmw much at all, but the M cars are all quite nice.

Those videos look familiar?

It's also worth noting the price difference between these two vehicles is close to $45,000.

So for the cost of an AWD M5 you can buy a Model 3 Performance and still have $45,000 to build a car faster than both of the. Or buy and build up two really fast supersport motorcycles.
The M5 is in an entirely different class in terms of passenger space, cargo space, comfort, refinement, goes to 190, and produces full power no matter if the tank is full or near empty.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter
I didn't watch the Top Gear segment, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were at least partially biased against EVs, but it is worth noting the limitation of EVs that they have less power as the battery charge level goes down. In the real world, when you find yourself in a situation where you might floor it, it's completely normal that you would only be at 57% state of charge. This is one area where gas cars have a slight advantage, as their power holds full all the way to empty. EVs can overcome this by pressing their other advantages, but it's still a notable factor.

True but ICE based vehicles have some power variance as well, especially with forced induction. ICE vehicles have to deal with things like altitude, temperature, heat soak, fuel quality, etc.