Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Highway Passing Speed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um, ya...it's used for highway driving. Collisions at 80 matter more than collisions at 5

Yes. As I said, I would say that the Model 3 is starting to have that covered now, fortunately. It beeps (specifically if traffic is coming up and you would be cutting them off, based on my single experience), and apparently intervenes in the steering (never experienced).

Blind spots are typically due to mirror adjustment. Your car shouldn't be seen in your side mirrors. If it is, then thats what is creating the blind spots.

The problem is more due to the lack of rear visibility. Sure, you may be able to adjust mirrors to avoid blind spots near your car. But with properly adjusted mirrors (by this metric), it actually can be very difficult to anticipate people coming up fast behind you in adjacent lanes, due to compromised visibility (through the small cross section rear window and the high rear deck). It's a tradeoff between being able to see far behind vs. being able to see what is in your actual blind spot. Obviously there are existing features which are being continuously improved, to help deal with this problem. But from a peace of mind standpoint, all else being equal, I would prefer to be able to see people coming AND have no blind spot in the traditional sense. Not a big enough problem to bother me, but I have been surprised at people behind me on a couple of occasions.

The taller you are, the easier it is to max out the side mirror adjustment. I'm close to maxed out, but would be in better shape if I sat closer like I do at autocross. But I'm only 5'9". So shouldn't really be an issue for me.

Last edited:
Totally not necessary now that we have blind spot monitoring.

I am always reluctant to trust the driver aids too much, at least until they've been released for a year or so and I've had a chance to really check them out. I was happy on the one occasion it has warned me; it seemed appropriate, though I was aware of the vehicle, it encouraged me to speed up to avoid cutting him off.

The question is whether it will work every time. Not really a concern I have with the Highlander blind spot system, as it seems quite deterministic. I never know with the neural nets... It definitely seems like this is a feature where they could set the threshold for a warning quite low so hopefully false negatives are quite unlikely.

The taller you are, the easier it is to max out the side mirror adjustment. I'm close to maxed out, but would be in better shape if I sat closer like I do at autocross. But I'm only 5'9". So shouldn't really be an issue for me.

I'm 6'-04" and neither of our Model 3 mirrors are maxed out, I have them adjusted so I can't see the sides of my car. I also don't feel like I need to use "extreme vigilance" when I drive. I've been driving 40 years and I just apply the normal vigilance I've used my entire life. If anything, the Model 3 is the easiest car to drive safely of ALL the cars I've ever driven.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I am always reluctant to trust the driver aids too much, at least until they've been released for a year or so and I've had a chance to really check them out. I was happy on the one occasion it has warned me; it seemed appropriate, though I was aware of the vehicle, it encouraged me to speed up to avoid cutting him off.

The question is whether it will work every time. Not really a concern I have with the Highlander blind spot system, as it seems quite deterministic. I never know with the neural nets... It definitely seems like this is a feature where they could set the threshold for a warning quite low so hopefully false negatives are quite unlikely.
I still use my neck. I also find keeping the rear camera on helps a ton.

I'm 6'-04" and neither of our Model 3 mirrors are maxed out, I have them adjusted so I can't see the sides of my car.

It all depends on how far you sit from the wheel and how far you like to push those mirrors out (what your preference is for what you want to see).

The key is just to use that passing speed prior to changing lanes, then you don't have to worry about anyone in the blind spot.

Trust your neck or you may end up backing into a pole. Take my word for it. This car has huge blind spots and very poor rear visibility. The technology doesn't always warn you either...........

Wow! Did you back right into a stationary post?

That's very bad situational awareness. But you can blame it on "poor rear visibility" if it makes you feel like a more competent driver.

That's very bad situational awareness. But you can blame it on "poor rear visibility" if it makes you feel like a more competent driver.
LOL. I think the M3 is by far the hardest car to wreck at low speed I've owned. Between the ultrasonic sensors and the backup cam you really have to work to run into something.

Not sure why you're being dick. Yeah, I did back up into a pole lol. The windshield wiper blades came on full blast the moment I started backing up (with no rain in site) and flustered me. Now, the pole was in a blind spot, which are indeed huge on these cars which didn't help. There were no beeps or warning either. My fault but a one-two whammy of shitty technology definitely helped it along.

Already checked the logs with tesla and they are reimbursing me for my deductible x2, which is super nice of them but it's still a long, drawn out process to get repairs done on these so far.

LOL. I think the M3 is by far the hardest car to wreck at low speed I've owned. Between the ultrasonic sensors and the backup cam you really have to work to run into something.

Heh, I'm oldschool and don't trust those cams. I've caught a few pedestrians walking towards my sides when I was focused on the cam when backing out of my driveway. It's a pretty high foot traffic area and I find it easier to just turn my head so that I'm confident I'm seeing everything, and in a much smaller time window. I seem to have the biggest issuse when I find myself fighting between looking at the rear cam and turning my head. Rear cam is great for that moment when you are backing out into a street and can't see around the parked cars on either side though.

As for sensors, those didn't work in this scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: chickensworth
Not sure why you're being dick. Yeah, I did back up into a pole lol. The windshield wiper blades came on full blast the moment I started backing up (without no rain in site) and the pole was in a weird spot. There were no beeps or warning either. Definitely my fault but a one-two whammy of shitty technology definitely helped it along.

Already checked the logs with tesla and they are reimbursing me for my deductible x2.

I'm not sure why he is being that way either.
The arrogance of people thinking the nannies are always going to tell you something bad is going to happen is kind of ridiculous here. These people will eventually get their comeuppance, though I actually honestly hope they do not. It just is unfortunately inevitable in life if you approach it with the wrong assumptions (and sometimes even when you don't).

Guess we're derailing this thread though...I'm just suggesting that everyone can make mistakes and encounter situations where bad things can happen through human error.

Reactions: Drizzle
I'm not sure why he is being that way either.
The arrogance of people thinking the nannies are always going to tell you something bad is going to happen is kind of ridiculous here. These people will eventually get their comeuppance, though I actually honestly hope they do not. It just is unfortunately inevitable in life if you approach it with the wrong assumptions (and sometimes even when you don't).

The main lesson I took away from this experience is to trust yourself more than the technology at this point.