Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D is just a software upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of a P3D and the sticker in the back had the AWD specs and price. Think its pretty evident its either just an uncork/Software.

However was listening to the RTL podcast and he mentioned that Elon said the P models had bin sorted parts that were used specifically for the P that were resilent to high speeds.

So either they put them on all AWD cars(unlikely) or they decided it wasnt needed or they just said screw it lets just get that cheddar.

I guess once more issues or teardowns happen we will see how this plays out in the years to come.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Just took delivery of a P3D and the sticker in the back had the AWD specs and price. Think its pretty evident its either just an uncork/Software.

However was listening to the RTL podcast and he mentioned that Elon said the P models had bin sorted parts that were used specifically for the P that were resilent to high speeds.

So either they put them on all AWD cars(unlikely) or they decided it wasnt needed or they just said screw it lets just get that cheddar.

I guess once more issues or teardowns happen we will see how this plays out in the years to come.
Plenty of discussion on this here:
I ordered a Performance 3. The car at delivery was an AWD.

P3D+ here and mine is a performance Monroney sticker.
Tesla Monroney (removed VIN).png

Reactions: Sg911
Elon said the P models had bin sorted parts that were used specifically for the P that were resilent to high speeds.

The real question you have to ask yourself after the initial revelation that track mode was only going to be for those who got the performance upgrade package, is if the P3D- cars are actually getting the bin sorted motors in the first place...

Reactions: cityberty
The real question you have to ask yourself after the initial revelation that track mode was only going to be for those who got the performance upgrade package, is if the P3D- cars are actually getting the bin sorted motors in the first place...
That is indeed the question. I would guess, either no, or they figured out it doesn’t matter. Either way I’m happy with my P3D-. If my motor burns out it’s under warranty.

No, the real question is if bin sorting actually matters.

The answer from all the AWD-flashed-to-P folks seems to be...nope.

Which likely means all AWD motors meet P standards, and the only thing bin sort does is maybe very marginally reduce Tesla warranty costs (and sound like good marketing I guess)

Which likely means all AWD motors meet P standards, and the only thing bin sort does is maybe very marginally reduce Tesla warranty costs (and sound like good marketing I guess)

This is my guess as well. However, I'd say the bin sorting puts the top motors in the P3D+ cars, while the P3D- cars are getting the other motors.

P3D- users are not likely to take the car to the track (especially since it won't have track mode), so those motors won't be abused to the degree that the P3D+ motors might. Putting the binned motors in the cars that will take the most abuse makes sense from a warranty cost reduction perspective.

@JeffK that's really weird - I have a P3D- and my monroney sticker (which was emailed to me as a PDF and never received in print form) is almost exactly the same as yours, except at the top left where yours says Performance in bold, mine says "Long Range AWD". However, in the right-hand column where it lists charges, it lists Performance Dual Motor All Wheel Drive. Weird.

Sidenote, I can't understand why no one can imagine that it's quite possible that Tesla IS binning and using the top-performing parts for performance cars, AND occasionally installs the wrong (AWD) software on these performance models. Just because they can flip a switch to uncork those cars doesn't mean those cars didn't also have superior hardware to begin with.

Last note, why is this such a big deal? If you bought the performance, your car is faster, whether it's software or not. Who gives a *sugar* otherwise? Ugh what a waste of time, can't believe I typed this much even

Sidenote, I can't understand why no one can imagine that it's quite possible that Tesla IS binning and using the top-performing parts for performance cars, AND occasionally installs the wrong (AWD) software on these performance models. Just because they can flip a switch to uncork those cars doesn't mean those cars didn't also have superior hardware to begin with.

Probably because nobody has presented any evidence of it- and there's a fair bit of evidence against it... (the fact the RWD and P rear motors have identical ratings- and the AWD and P front motors have the same ratings... the fact the motors are identical in AWD and P per the VIN.... the fact nobody seems to have any evidence the drive units between P and non-P have different part numbers.... and the fact at least one person who ordered AWD ended up with P software on it.... (in addition to the folks who got AWD cars at delivery despite ordering Ps and then just got it software configed into a P)

Not to say the highest scoring ones aren't by default put into Ps... they might well be for the marginal warranty cost reductions... but there's no evidence any motors aren't sufficiently good enough to meet P standards.

Last note, why is this such a big deal? If you bought the performance, your car is faster, whether it's software or not. Who gives a *sugar* otherwise? Ugh what a waste of time, can't believe I typed this much even

Got me.

Nobody complains about paying 5k for EAP, and that's pretty obviously all software.

It's pretty rare for any car to get to add the amount of performance either RWD->AWD or AWD->P get you for the amount they charge in the model 3, regardless of how much of either is HW vs SW.

Reactions: Mike521 and nwdiver
Then again if the motors are sorted, more likely would be perhaps $6k for the 1 second 0-60, but no possibility of track mode in the AWD. Sorting the motors for 0-60 is probably unlikely since it is really only a few seconds of burst acceleration, hardly enough time to overheat the drive unit. It is the extended run time at top speeds of track racing that would really benefit from a sorted/binned drive unit.

The problem is that Tesla realized that probably very few would pay up for track mode, and a much larger pool would pay for 0-60 improvement.

Now Tesla has the problem that P buyers would scream if AWD got the 0-60 at a discount (even if they do not have a track mode option) most claiming they will never take it to the track. If they are truely sorted then adding track mode to the AWD could cost Tesla in warranty claims.

@JeffK that's really weird - I have a P3D- and my monroney sticker (which was emailed to me as a PDF and never received in print form) is almost exactly the same as yours, except at the top left where yours says Performance in bold, mine says "Long Range AWD". However, in the right-hand column where it lists charges, it lists Performance Dual Motor All Wheel Drive. Weird.

My window sticker was the same as yours- AWD with performance in the right hand column, P3D- purchased.

Reactions: Mike521
I think the P is just a software unlock for launch control. AWD to me feels the same as a P from 60 to 90mph. I am very interested to see a test from 60 to 100 in a P vs a AWD.

I really think the P just dumps more energy from 0mph to get thr faster 0-60 and once around 60mph is reached the AWD and P is about the same.

Btw, AWD from 60mph+ is way faster than the RWD. RWD feels like a turtle now when I punch it.