Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D is... slow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC!

I am 6 weeks in with my P3D and I'm just curious if anyone else has felt this same feeling! My wife has a LRRWD and I have the P3D. When I drive my P3D, I feel it is not as fun on turns like the LR is (I guess a history of 10+ RWD vehicles had me loving them). In addition, the first few weeks it felt fast and now it just feels mediocre. Maybe I'm just getting used to it...

I hope to take it to the track soon and find out what it can do. FWIW, there was another thread that asked if we would pay additional for an extra half a second 0-60 and I absolutely will. Also - it would be nice if the 0-10 was quicker.

You don't know how fast a 3P is until:

1 - You sit as a passenger with no steering wheel to hold on to.

2 - You sit in a Volt and get burned bad by a Model X. You sit in a Model X and get burned bad by a 3PD.

3 - All the M3s, AMGs drive aggressive around you. UNTIL they see red calipers. They drive like Corollas after that. Though of course 3P- doesn't telegraph that aspect hah.

Believe me the 3P is fast, you just don't feel it due to the effects of time dilation and relativity. ;)

I do think the initial hit is the biggest difference as compared to the Model S and I think that all comes back to the rear motor not being induction (or software tuning). I also wonder if that hit delta can be felt when you are "at speed" already (i.e. is it always the first 0.5 seconds or so regardless of starting speed: 0, 30, 50, 70, etc.) as compared to the rear induction motor cars?

Reactions: Drizzle
You don't know how fast a 3P is until:

1 - You sit as a passenger with no steering wheel to hold on to.

2 - You sit in a Volt and get burned bad by a Model X. You sit in a Model X and get burned bad by a 3PD.

3 - All the M3s, AMGs drive aggressive around you. UNTIL they see red calipers. They drive like Corollas after that. Though of course 3P- doesn't telegraph that aspect hah.

Believe me the 3P is fast, you just don't feel it due to the effects of time dilation and relativity. ;)

Agreed. I'll try the "jump on the passenger side" to see how it goes, lol.

Turnpike SB to 595 EB...... They are few and far between....

Sorry to hijack this thread with the exciting news from FL regarding our turn situation.

I wore the middle out of the rear tire on my Triumph Street Triple when I lived in South Florida, in relatively short order. US75 isn't exactly a thrilling drive.

However, I once had to stop to allow an alligator to cross the road on State Rd. 84 (Snake Road) once...that was somewhat exciting.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18 and Dre78
Not a coincidence Im finding other supermoto guys in to Tesla's, we love our thrills. The AWD Model 3 is more the auto equivalent of my 787cc sport bike. Sport bike riders are use to incredible pulls like the Tesla delivers, most people have never experienced pulls like that in a car.

Reactions: Drizzle
Bring it.... This will never happen when you're alongside me.

He probably meant X75D or X100D vs P3D

Of course, P100D is unstoppable.

I was referring to my own Model X 75D getting crushed by a 3P. Same Model X 75D that would have crushed my Volt. My Volt on Sport Mode probably crushes a lot of Ice cars. Point is that the 3P is insanely fast compared to almost anything you would run into. Faster than 999/1000 cars most likely if not more.

Though not sure if anyone has dragged a X P100D vs a 3P? On paper the P100D is faster but I imagine you'd need to have preheating for ludicrious and a almost full SOC to hit the published numbers? 3P launch is effortless.

• Love
Reactions: Maximilien