Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+/P3D- Owners: Do You Ever Use Chill Mode?

Do You Use Chill Mode?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious to know who uses Chill Mode. I've had my P3D+ for a little over 2 weeks and I've only tried Chill Mode once. I know the benefits of it, especially if you're taking a trip, but I just can't see myself using it unless I really need to be cognizant about range. Anyone else feel this way? Seems like a crime to not have power available in these cars at all times.

I use it occasionally to reset myself. Its real easy to get used to the speed we have. A day with Chill mode on will get you back in line. But yeah other than that theres no real use for it. Just press less. Has anyone ever checked to see if it increases efficiency?

I use chill mode on longer trips over rough pavement. Sport mode can be too twitchy on a bumpy road where the bumps in the road translate to micromovements in my foot resulting in jerkiness. However, chill mode is too laggy as depressing the pedal to the floor only receives like 50% power at a very delayed rate. My ideal chill mode would smoothly transition to sport mode depressing the go pedal more than 1/4 of the way

My wife has her profile set to chill and low regen, she doesn’t like the power and regen. So chill and low make it drivable on the rare occasion she drives. I have a wife’s mad profile for me too which sets chill and low regen for when she’s extra cranky and I’m driving. Aside from those scenarios it’s sport all the way

ok....i fess up i voted yes BUT to be fair my average wh/mi or whatever is like 400 (im still in my honeymoon phase with my car)...

Now if i left it on sport i dont think i could afford my insurance. i guess on reflection i might need a prius

• Funny
Reactions: ZappCatt
They should probably change Chill Mode to Accelerator Sensitivity and program three levels of it. It should never really reduce any power, it should just change how linear the power delivery is based on the percentage the accelerator is applied.

On some other cars I have owned the throttle sensitivity has been tied to a particular drive mode, such as comfort, sport and track. Each mode would alter the sensitivity a bit. In comfort the first 25% of the throttle feels kind of flat or dead, you still have full power if you plant your foot, sport would liven up that initial 25% and track would make it even more sensitive to help with blipping the throttle for heal/toe shifting.

Reactions: mswlogo
Do we had data that backs up the increased efficiency some folks here are stating? Especially when in non stop and go type
Roads.

I do make an occasional trip to the mountains and back that I need every bit of my LR AWDs range to get back and with my ever dropping max range I doubt I’d even make it this summer.( still crossing fingers it’s a display/algorithm issue)

Do we had data that backs up the increased efficiency some folks here are stating? Especially when in non stop and go type
Roads.

I do make an occasional trip to the mountains and back that I need every bit of my LR AWDs range to get back and with my ever dropping max range I doubt I’d even make it this summer.( still crossing fingers it’s a display/algorithm issue)

The way I see it, the advantage is that it makes it more difficult to "get on it" and decrease efficiency. Someone nitpicked my original post and said there was no benefit of it but I disagree. While I don't know of any official efficiency from the mode itself (i.e. Tesla made it somehow more efficient through software), better efficiency should be inherent with it since you lose so much power with it and you use less energy since you don't have the rapid acceleration. That being said, I have only used it once and it was for like 20 seconds.

Since I can’t edit my last post:

In other words, Chill Mode makes the acceleration so slow that you get better mileage. Maybe “efficiency” is the wrong word.

Not really, or at least not if you accelerate at the same rate in both modes. Takes the same amount of energy to accelerate the car’s mass at a given rate.

Now, if you accept slower acceleration in Chill mode and don’t/won’t adjust your pedal pressure in Sport mode to equal Chill mode’s acceleration, THEN Chill could save some energy.