Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ replacing stock brake pads soon, any tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
I have a fair bit of experience doing car repairs but I've never actually done brakes before. Any tips or things to watch out for on the P3D? My stock pads are making a ton of noise, grinding and squeaks. Tesla offered to replace them under warranty but they are backordered because nobody wears out the stock pads. It's a decent chance I messed up the pads on the track anyway so I'm replacing them with the unplugged performance pads front and rear. I'll be headed to the track again next month so I'll do high temp break fluid as well.

I don't have any jacks or stands so I think I'll pick up a set of these. The RennStand by Safe Jack I don't think I'll need to worry about using a jack pad because of how they work.

Dying to get back out there and give track mode a try!

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
This seems the MOST obvious 3rd party Brake Pad to offer.

- high performance brake pads

- CAREFUL - pads or discs for competition on the track have a very different performance profile compared to emergency use.
- competition prolonged use that have min. heat related degradation. Often (always??) require heating up for max. stopping performance.
- street safe = max. stopping performance when COLD - the emergency stop.
- CAN you get both? I'm no expert. You'd hope Bembo has it figured out.

In the early days brake pads slide on the disc - kept rust & dirt & water off of the disc. - but extra friction hurt efficiency slightly.

Electric re-gen helps - instant stopping force with accelerator pedal lift and assisting braking forces.
Which all helps heavier electric vehicles stop in spite of extra weight.

SORRY - no actual pad suggestion. Mountain Performance ??

Brake pads are pretty easy in general, as long as you have the right tools (as with any auto repair). I changed them twice on my last car, and was able to figure it out on my own the first time. I don't think the Performance brakes should be any different than other disc brakes, but I could be wrong.

The pads should just slide right into place, but getting the piston compressed enough to fit around the rotor can be challenging with new pads, especially performance pads.

Tesla offered to replace them under warranty but they are backordered because nobody wears out the stock pads.

Ha, did they say that? Would be funny since they stock the base model rear pads but not the sport for some reason ;) They don't even have a PN for the sport/performance pad replacement kit in the EPC system.

OP mentioned he's got the Unplugged Performance pads, which work great even when cold (i have them)

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
This seems the MOST obvious 3rd party Brake Pad to offer.

- high performance brake pads

- CAREFUL - pads or discs for competition on the track have a very different performance profile compared to emergency use.
- competition prolonged use that have min. heat related degradation. Often (always??) require heating up for max. stopping performance.
- street safe = max. stopping performance when COLD - the emergency stop.
- CAN you get both? I'm no expert. You'd hope Bembo has it figured out.

In the early days brake pads slide on the disc - kept rust & dirt & water off of the disc. - but extra friction hurt efficiency slightly.

Electric re-gen helps - instant stopping force with accelerator pedal lift and assisting braking forces.
Which all helps heavier electric vehicles stop in spite of extra weight.

The pads from unplugged are not full track pads so should still be reasonable on the street. I also figure that most braking is provided by regen so it's not that big a deal either way.

Ha, did they say that? Would be funny since they stock the base model rear pads but not the sport for some reason ;) They don't even have a PN for the sport/performance pad replacement kit in the EPC system.

OP mentioned he's got the Unplugged Performance pads, which work great even when cold (i have them)
They told me that they had none on hand and no ETA as to when they might get them in. It's been over a month since they ordered them.

I've changed both front and back myself. The rear is a pain in the butt because of the integrated parking brake. I can give you the torque spec and rough procedures. You'll need one of these as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-2...iper+spreader&qid=1552600546&s=gateway&sr=8-4

and

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-241...ds=brake+lube&qid=1552600618&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Also, you'll need to transfer the shim on the stock pad onto the UPP pads. A putty knife can separate the shim from stock pad.

• Informative
Reactions: Nocturnal
As Mcbarnet said above the rear parking brake is going to be an issue. Look into a how-to on that before you get started.

On another note, the high level of regen in the Model 3 makes track pads on the street even more sketchy since they literally don't get warmed up at all and then if you need them in an emergency it could be an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Nocturnal
If you are actually hearing grinding, you probably also need rotors.

When at the track, always keep a close eye on your pads throughout the day. You don't want to take them down to the point that they destroy the rotors.
The rotors look fine at a glance with the wheels on and Tesla service stated they were fine. For whatever that's worth.

Tesla does have the PN (8008246-00-A) for sport rear pads. I have tried special order but still no ETA.