Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Second Track Day - thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been monitoring temps and working on this problem. It's not a straight-forward problem to solve as the ideal solution requires integration with the vehicle's electronics - unless you add a supplemental refrigeration system!

Our goal is to do some testing to see if there are any viable products that make a meaningful improvement. No doubt we can change parts - but we're not going to pursue anything unless we can prove it will gain at least 1 extra lap before overheating.
So, I take it that just increasing the radiator size and/or airflow won't help?
Any idea how the power is distributed between the front and rear motors? It seems like it would be best for both handling and cooling for the rear motor to be prioritized. That's probably not viable for the aftermarket though.

The car is a blast to drive on the track overall. I'm finding that the traction control really makes it hard to lose control even when driving at the edge. In my class there aren't any cars that can beat me on the straights and not so many that do better on the curves (with my stock tires and bad driver mod at least).

Heat is the main issue. A ton of power is held back once the car get's too hot. Lap 1-2 are always great, 3 is a little tight, but 4 and 5 wind up seeing what I feel is a 25% power reduction. Cars that I easily passed in early laps would be able to pass me. For a comparison, on the longest straight at Heartland Motorsports in Topeka I was hitting about 107 on most fresh-ish laps. On the laps where the car was overheating that speed dropped to the low 90s.

I'm optimistic about track mode helping but I'd be surprised if software only could resolve this problem. I think we will need some sort of aftermarket cooling solution to be really competitive. Anybody want to help design a system that sprays CO2 onto the coolant radiators when they get past a certain temp? ;)

Bonus round. At the end of the day I plugged in to get some extra juice for the drive home and my charger decided to not work. I've been seeing intermittent "charging reduced" errors but haven't taken it in yet. At the SC now and they are replacing the onboard charger. I also routed on back roads on the way home and hit a patch with giant potholes. Turns out I have two bent rims. $1400 down the drain. :(
you can probably fix the rims... find a place like RIM DOCTORS ti fix them, about $100 per wheel, Ive fix my model s rims 3 times due to pot ho;les, and this is on the 19's!

Any recommendations on basic mods to prepare for HDPE or Autocross; tire pressures, brake pads, etc? This is for a P3D+ with stock wheels and tires.
Nope. Only preparations are for you. Helmet, track insurance, etc. I didn't bother with tire pressure as I couldn't find an exact recommendation.

you can probably fix the rims... find a place like RIM DOCTORS ti fix them, about $100 per wheel, Ive fix my model s rims 3 times due to pot ho;les, and this is on the 19's!
They are giving me the rims so I'll take them in for a possible repair after the fact and sell them or keep as spares.

Any recommendations on basic mods to prepare for HDPE or Autocross; tire pressures, brake pads, etc? This is for a P3D+ with stock wheels and tires.
Bring your charging cable and adaptors! And snacks.

Actually that does remind me. I rented an RV outlet from the track for the day. It was 30 bucks, check into that. They had the 14-50, 10/15 amp, and 10-30. They claimed it was 50 amp but I only ever pulled 28. I charged between sessions to top off and hopefully cool the car better (I don't think it helped) and also planned on being able to top off to get home. Unfortunately my on board charger failed so I had to drive home at like 60mph in order to make it. Let me tell you, driving at 60 after driving whatever speed you wanted to all day was a nightmare. (and bent 2 rims on the back road I took to save miles)

• Informative
Reactions: TrumpetTitan
The onboard charger is limited to 48 Amps. However, Tesla has stated that racing or track usage voids the warranty so don't be surprised if Tesla doesn't say that the charging profile indicates track usage and send you the bill for the replacement charger.

However, Tesla has stated that racing or track usage voids the warranty so don't be surprised if Tesla doesn't say that the charging profile indicates track usage and send you the bill for the replacement charger.

Sure, but honestly they state quite a few things in that warranty - it's really all up to their discretion if they want to play that game i suppose.

upload_2018-10-15_22-2-39.png

• Informative
Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I think the included model 3 charger is Max 32 amps. I use my old model S charger to get 40 Amps from the 50A service.
I'd have to go back and look at what I normally get but at home on my 14-50 I hit 28 or so mph gain, I was getting 20 which is what I had on my 10-30 dryer outlet.

The onboard charger is limited to 48 Amps. However, Tesla has stated that racing or track usage voids the warranty so don't be surprised if Tesla doesn't say that the charging profile indicates track usage and send you the bill for the replacement charger.
It doesn't void the warranty. If I blew up a motor on the track, then that part would be voided. Nothing about the track impacts the onboard charger.

And if this car can't handle a few laps then we all need to offload them and buy Chevys.

So, I take it that just increasing the radiator size and/or airflow won't help?
Any idea how the power is distributed between the front and rear motors? It seems like it would be best for both handling and cooling for the rear motor to be prioritized. That's probably not viable for the aftermarket though.
Sure, but honestly they state quite a few things in that warranty - it's really all up to their discretion if they want to play that game i suppose.

View attachment 344274

I don't believe it is a radiator problem, no. Although I'm sure more airflow would help, I don't think it would be the total solution.

I believe the rear motor still runs at approx the same power as the LR, so about 60% rear motor power, give or take.

I don't believe it is a radiator problem, no. Although I'm sure more airflow would help, I don't think it would be the total solution.

I believe the rear motor still runs at approx the same power as the LR, so about 60% rear motor power, give or take.
I was wondering how it distributes power at part throttle. Does it give any priority to the rear motor (i.e. use a higher percentage of rear motor at part throttle vs. full throttle)? It seems like using the front motor as little as possible would be ideal since it's less efficient (more waste heat) and harder to cool.

I was wondering how it distributes power at part throttle. Does it give any priority to the rear motor (i.e. use a higher percentage of rear motor at part throttle vs. full throttle)? It seems like using the front motor as little as possible would be ideal since it's less efficient (more waste heat) and harder to cool.
I wonder if linked dynos could show this.

Tesla should have used high discharge rated cells for the performance model. There is very little you can do about cooling. its the internal resistance of the cells used by Tesla, when we draw more amps from the battery the internal resistance causes the battery to heat up. if they were made of lower internal resistance cells it wouldn't heat up as much and we get continued performance. Well the ones with low internal resistance are usually heavier and larger which could have an impact on range weight etc.

Tesla should have used high discharge rated cells for the performance model. There is very little you can do about cooling. its the internal resistance of the cells used by Tesla, when we draw more amps from the battery the internal resistance causes the battery to heat up. if they were made of lower internal resistance cells it wouldn't heat up as much and we get continued performance. Well the ones with low internal resistance are usually heavier and larger which could have an impact on range weight etc.
I can't believe that we can't find reasonable options for passive or active cooling unless I'm vastly underestimating the heat energy the batteries produce.

If the limitation is the coolant getting too warm, then it could be as simple as a larger reservoir, radiator etc. If the batteries just can't get enough coolant flow through them after a certain point then we might need to look at ways to cool the battery pack directly. I'm positive Tesla is working on this with their racing project.

I used regular. Supposedly track mode will have a "high" option.
I would think charging the battery while tracking, would generate more heat and be harder on the batteries. Granted you will use up and maybe overwhelm your brakes if you dont use regen?

If it is not a heat soak issue, it could also be that the battery is simply weaker for the last laps? I notice quite a difference in acceleration in the morning off a fresh charge, than when I get home at night with less than 1/2 battery.

I would think charging the battery while tracking, would generate more heat and be harder on the batteries. Granted you will use up and maybe overwhelm your brakes if you dont use regen?

If it is not a heat soak issue, it could also be that the battery is simply weaker for the last laps? I notice quite a difference in acceleration in the morning off a fresh charge, than when I get home at night with less than 1/2 battery.
Hard to say. I don't think we know yet if limp mode is due to battery or motor overheating.