Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ @ VIR (Virginia International Raceway) HPDE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my P3D+ to VIR for an HPDE with NASA this past weekend.

Mods:
Model S Front Calipers & Rotors w/ Hawk DTC-70 Track Pads
APEX ARC-8 18x9.5" Wheels & 275/40/18 Nexen N Fera SUR4G Tires
Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid

My fastest lap was a 2:13.790.

This was my first time running at VIR (I have 50+ track days at North-East tracks, moved down to NC last year). I could definitely tidy up my lines and relax on the wheel a bit, but overall I feel I was pushing the car pretty close to its limit on the stock suspension. My next session I was able to stay flat through the esses which cut nearly 1 second off that sector, but couldn't string together a faster full lap.

Again, I am very impressed with the car. I have previously said Camber is it's weak point, but I am getting close to a solution for the front and rear in that regard. The stock dampers and springs are actually pretty good but there is a lot of body roll.

I think with suspension modification sub 2:10 is easily possible.

Enjoy the video!

No, Track Mode eliminates this issue completely. Worst-case it limits about 10-15% of power. I was out there for the full 25 minute sessions.

@MasterC17,

Glad to hear Track Mode is working as well as designed. How many 25 minute sessions/runs did you do? Was going to ask about break fade if any but see your not running the stock pads/lines/fluid.....how’s that S retro working for you?

Ski

Last edited:
@MasterC17,

Glad to hear Track Mode is working as well as designed. How many 25 minute sessions/runs did you do? Was going to ask about break fade if any but see your nit running the stock pads/lines/fluid.....how’s that S retro working for you?

Ski

I ran 6 sessions over 2 days (20-25 minutes each).

Model S Brake Retrofit (see my other thread for details) is working extremely well!

Awesome!! I saw you there and wanted to come find you and chat. I drive a P3D as a daily, but run a Porsche 944 in ST6. That is a fantastic time and takes some fortitude to do that in a car with no cage. I will eagerly seek out your build thread and peruse. Best of luck out there and I hope to see you at Hyperfest.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Wow, that is a VERY solid time, especially on street tires. That's pretty close to what the fast spec Boxsters run.

Awesome!! I saw you there and wanted to come find you and chat. I drive a P3D as a daily, but run a Porsche 944 in ST6. That is a fantastic time and takes some fortitude to do that in a car with no cage. I will eagerly seek out your build thread and peruse. Best of luck out there and I hope to see you at Hyperfest.

Thank you both! I really enjoyed VIR, it reminds me of Watkins Glen in a lot of ways. I'm still figuring out my line and braking points but I got quicker every session I was out!

In the video I was actually tailing a BMW M3 CS on R-Comps. It definitely pulls the P3D in the straights over ~100, but it doesn't brake or handle any better (of course there are driver variations to consider).

I am planning to attend Hyperfest!

Overall, I strongly believe for the money the P3D is an extremely good value. Its on-track prowess as well as its maintenance and "fuel" savings make it much more attractive than a BMW M3 (and I previously owned an F80 M3).

I took my P3D+ to VIR for an HPDE with NASA this past weekend.

Mods:
Model S Front Calipers & Rotors w/ Hawk DTC-70 Track Pads
APEX ARC-8 18x9.5" Wheels & 275/40/18 Nexen N Fera SUR4G Tires
Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid

My fastest lap was a 2:13.790.

This was my first time running at VIR (I have 50+ track days at North-East tracks, moved down to NC last year). I could definitely tidy up my lines and relax on the wheel a bit, but overall I feel I was pushing the car pretty close to its limit on the stock suspension. My next session I was able to stay flat through the esses which cut nearly 1 second off that sector, but couldn't string together a faster full lap.

Again, I am very impressed with the car. I have previously said Camber is it's weak point, but I am getting close to a solution for the front and rear in that regard. The stock dampers and springs are actually pretty good but there is a lot of body roll.

I think with suspension modification sub 2:10 is easily possible.

Enjoy the video!

How are you measuring your lap times?

Whats the difference between HPDE and the VIR Grand Course?

Is there a list similar to this that shows how the performance model 3 stacks up:
Lightning Lap Results 2006 to 2018: Every Car, Every Lap Time

VIR Full is 3.27 Miles, VIR Grand is 4.1 Miles. Sadly, there is not a list to refer to with Full as there is with Grand. Hopefully I can get some sessions on Grand to compare!

Really? That's awesome to hear. I'm headed back to the road course in a few weeks. I can't wait. It was definitely a bummer losing 20% power or so.

I will say it is relative to ambient temperature, Saturday it was pretty cold (50 or so) and I could eek out a couple more full-power laps then than I could Sunday (75). That being said, even with limited power I was still hitting almost 130 on the back straight so it's not a huge difference.

How are you measuring your lap times?

Garmin GLO2 with TrackAddict on Android (Pixel XL2). The GPS is 10Hz so it is very accurate.

Whats the difference between HPDE and the VIR Grand Course?

Is there a list similar to this that shows how the performance model 3 stacks up:
Lightning Lap Results 2006 to 2018: Every Car, Every Lap Time

If you look at that map on Car and Driver, where the Grand Course turns back into the infield in the middle of the back straight (at the corner labeled "bitch"), the normal "full course" just goes straight to roller coaster. So the back straight is actually straight until you hit roller coaster. The Grand Course is longer. The full course is about 3.2 miles.

Ok, so that aligns with the 55% consumption 25min. session I had on Sunday at the Ridge.

So you're getting 150% SOC usage throughout the day. What kind of charging did they have at the track, and how did you get home?

Most tracks around here I'm lucky to get 230V/40A charging.

@MasterC17 I just moved to the area with the P3D- and am looking to get on the track at VIR Sept. 12-13. I would love to know your feedback on charging. The event I am looking at has 4 sessions/day and I think you said you only did 3/day. Did you skip 1 for charging or has the format changed? They said they have power but haven't provided real specs on charge rate yet. Also, I would love to know about more place in the area you are exploring with your car!

@MasterC17 I just moved to the area with the P3D- and am looking to get on the track at VIR Sept. 12-13. I would love to know your feedback on charging. The event I am looking at has 4 sessions/day and I think you said you only did 3/day. Did you skip 1 for charging or has the format changed? They said they have power but haven't provided real specs on charge rate yet. Also, I would love to know about more place in the area you are exploring with your car!

VIR had a Chademo. That's what I was using. It's been broken for almost a year now, and they have no intention to fix it as far as I know.

The good news is that you can use their 40-amp NEMA 14-50 Outlets (there's a ton of them in the paddock) for $30 for the weekend.

The downside is (depending on your driving style), the time to charge between sessions may result in you only getting 2 or 3 of the 4 per day.

VIR had a Chademo. That's what I was using. It's been broken for almost a year now, and they have no intention to fix it as far as I know.

The good news is that you can use their 40-amp NEMA 14-50 Outlets (there's a ton of them in the paddock) for $30 for the weekend.

The downside is (depending on your driving style), the time to charge between sessions may result in you only getting 2 or 3 of the 4 per day.

Awesome thanks for the info! I assumed id be missing at least one session. Maybe this belongs in another thread, but it looks like Summit Point has a Tesla Destination Charger. Do you have any experience with the car there? VIR seems like a pretty fast track that would take more SoC than most if you are driving it like hell.