Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D vs AWD from ~35mph to ~70mph ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the time I ordered it was $11,000...(between AWD and P3D-...a + was a $16,000 difference)... they've jacked AWD up 2k since then (and other things as well like the destination fee, some paint colors, etc). That's why I quoted that number... and why the AWD was such a better deal than the P at the time.

Honestly, even at $8750 I don't think I'd have bitten- the quicker 0-60 I'd use very close to never since very little of my driving involves being at a stoplight with someone else next to me. A previous car has near-P 0-60 times and even when I did live someplace with more common stoplights on multi-lane roads situations I genuinely needed that extra quickness maybe a time or two a month. That's a ton of $ for something I'd use almost never.

And that's basically the only difference between the P- and my car.

The + made even less sense since it was another 5k on top and only gave me wheels and brakes I explicitly wouldn't want or get any benefit from (just the opposite in fact) and a spoiler I also don't want... and pedals I could buy for like $50 on ebay if I did want.... (oh, and technically 10 mph more top speed I'd never use)

As I've mentioned- if they'd offered actual performance upgrades besides some 0-60 quickness... like a much upgraded suspension, I'd have happily paid 8750, or even the 11k, for it... My last car I had to special order to get the sport suspension on (Lexus) and wait months extra to get it so I'd be happy to do that here...but not so much as far as offerings from Tesla in that regard.

I should’ve mention the Performance Upgrade was included in the $8,750 difference.

But I get your point. Different strokes for different folks. I just wanted exactly what I test drove and so I bought it. I’ve also heard people test drove AWD and P3D+ and it was a huge difference and was glad to get P3D+.

Reactions: skrtskrt
I should’ve mention the Performance Upgrade was included in the $8,750 difference.

Eh?

AWD model 3 is $55,000 base price.

It's $9000 more for a P-

It's $14,000 more for a P+

That's as of right this moment looking at the configurator.

(that 9k and 14k were 11k and 16k when I bought mine)

How'd you turn $14000 in to $8750 just by guessing the AWD guy misses $3750 of the tax credit (which I don't think is a fact at this point)

I I’ve also heard people test drove AWD and P3D+ and it was a huge difference and was glad to get P3D+.

I was the opposite... I didn't observe hardly any difference at all other than the extra stomach drop launching from 0/low speed.

Eh?

It's $9000 more for a P-

(that 9k and 14k were 11k and 16k when I bought mine)

How'd you turn $14000 in to $8750 just by guessing the AWD guy misses $3750 of the tax credit (which I don't think is a fact at this point)

I was the opposite... I didn't observe hardly any difference at all other than the extra stomach drop launching from 0/low speed.

As I stated earlier that’s for the AWD that missess the deadline. Again that could not be the case but that’s a huge gamble by all means if anyone wants to do that go for it, especially those that live in the midwest and east coast.

Again that’s your opinion and your experience. I’ve heard from a lot of other people’s experience tell otherwise.

Reactions: skrtskrt
Unless you are a very special driver, the 30-50 and 50-70 passing speeds on the AWD will be far more than enough. It's what I like most about the car. When I want to pass someone who does not want to be passed, it's over before they can even react. It's awesome to be able to easily pass jerks who will speed up solely for the purpose of blocking you.

If money is no issue, get a P3D. Otherwise, you will be very satisfied with the AWD. The acceleration is an amazing experience.
I am in a very interesting predicament, I have another reservation and currently on a LR RWD and debating to get the AWD or should I just get the RWD again? I will sell my current car so I can take advantage of the tax rebate before tomorrow night and get $7500 per car. I currently have white and love it but thinking to go Red. I would love to get the Performance but cannot justify spending that much more. Is the AWD really that much of a difference compared to the RWD speed and performance wise?

I also felt the newer gen seats are softer, am I the only one?

As I stated earlier that’s for the AWD that missess the deadline. Again that could not be the case but that’s a huge gamble by all means if anyone wants to do that go for it, especially those that live in the midwest and east coast.

Again that’s your opinion and your experience. I’ve heard from a lot of other people’s experience tell otherwise.

It's $9000 more for a P-

You claimed the difference was $8750 between AWD and P+ if you miss half the credit on AWD but get it full on P+

How does a difference of $14,000 become $8750 if you miss out on a $3750 tax credit?

Your math does not work- even if we assume AWD ordered today misses the full credit (which is by no means certain)

It's $9000 more for a P-

You claimed the difference was $8750 between AWD and P+ if you miss half the credit on AWD but get it full on P+

How does a difference of $14,000 become $8750 if you miss out on a $3750 tax credit?

Your math does not work- even if we assume AWD ordered today misses the full credit (which is by no means certain)

In your case you’re correct. I totally forgot that the options I was planning to chose for AWD was $1500 more for the 19” Sport Wheels because that was what I was going to get if I were getting AWD.

$10,250 - $1,500 = $8750

But that number is soley for me only (or anyone planning to get the 19” wheels and didn’t want aero wheels). Carry on!