Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D vs RWD / P3D vs AWD (handling, suspension, and balance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the same tires, yes. The performance add-on with the 20” wheels includes superior summer tires (= better handing and breaking), but you can add those tires (Pilot Sport 4S) to the 18” wheels for $800-1000.

Most of the 1 second difference is in the acceleration from 0-30, so the P3D feels much, much quicker from a stop than the AWD.

The difference in P3D vs RWD is huge in terms of handling, suspension and balance but is there a huge difference in those terms between the P3D vs the AWD Dual Motor?

There's no difference at all between P3D- and RWD in terms of suspension other than the stabilizer bars (and it's unclear how they're different, just that they are)- there's a video of a guy under one pointing out the shocks/springs/etc are otherwise identical to RWD.

The P3D+ is 0.39 inches lower than the other 3s, but it's unclear if that's just from the different control arms needed to fix the geometry of the 20" wheels or not- so that's functionally the same suspension too if that's the only change.

As far as anyone knows at this point the only difference between P3D- and AWD is the AWD is software limited to have slower acceleration (especially 0-30)- but by the end of the 1/4 mile they're running pretty close in trap speed (unlike the single-motor RWD that's ~10 mph behind the AWD)

• Informative
Reactions: Crispix
I can't wait for Koni to come out with a set of Yellows for the 3 as the stock shocks are very much under-damped for my taste. I should not feel the car bouncing when it becomes unsettled in a corner. Nothing else to indicate the shocks are bad as the ride is very refined on Seattle's pockmarked city streets.

Reactions: cab
I meant to say P3D+ in the title and in the text. Whoops. Let me rephrase.

I've heard it's night and day between RWD vs AWD and RWD vs P3D+ but is it night and day for AWD vs P3D+ outside of acceleration? Is the ride quality the same?

Has anyone gathered cornering information into an easily digestible table?

Lateral acceleration, measured in the number of g's the car and hold in a corner is objective information we can really use.

I'd like to know how my 3 compares to other models and ICE cars.

Reactions: eHaw