Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ w/ 5% increase: 1/8 Mile Numbers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC:

Earlier this week, I received the 2019.8.5 update which included the 5% Power increase, so I decided to test out the new update on the track and share the numbers on TMC.

Videos are below along with time slip. For comparison, I also included my January 11th slip, which was slightly higher than the new update. SOC for two January slips are 94% and 90% respectively, SOC for April slip is 94%.

Before update:
V5Xe3Zv.jpg

After update:
3dblXzQ.jpg

Vs. Slightly modded VW Golf:

Vs. Modded Mustang GT:

Vs. Heavily-Modded Porsche w/ Nitrous:

Impressive improvement! Quite a bit still remaining in the launch. Hope to see consistent 1.4s with future performance updates. 1.8 is way too soft and has remained the same since the model launched. Traps are getting there. GL

Reactions: Alketi
Sorry I've never been to the track, so I'm sure I'm reading this wrong, but your better of the two before time is 7.493 seconds for 1/8 of a mile and your after the software update is 7.425, that doesn't seem like any meaningful performance boost at all. Could you guys ELI5 where I'm seeing the boost.

And for us non-cool, poverty stricken folk, I'm curious if the SR+ 0-60 times improved, anyone know?.

Hello TMC:

Earlier this week, I received the 2019.8.5 update which included the 5% Power increase, so I decided to test out the new update on the track and share the numbers on TMC.

Videos are below along with time slip. For comparison, I also included my January 11th slip, which was slightly higher than the new update. SOC for two January slips are 94% and 90% respectively, SOC for April slip is 94%.

Before update:
V5Xe3Zv.jpg

After update:
3dblXzQ.jpg

Vs. Slightly modded VW Golf:

Vs. Modded Mustang GT:

Vs. Heavily-Modded Porsche w/ Nitrous:

So only 1.1 mph in trap speed improvement at 1/8 mile. Probably within the margin of errors though with just one test each.

Sorry I've never been to the track, so I'm sure I'm reading this wrong, but your better of the two before time is 7.493 seconds for 1/8 of a mile and your after the software update is 7.425, that doesn't seem like any meaningful performance boost at all. Could you guys ELI5 where I'm seeing the boost.

And for us non-cool, poverty stricken folk, I'm curious if the SR+ 0-60 times improved, anyone know?.

The power boost was initiated by Tesla as part of a market stratification change when the SR and SR+ were introduced. They bumped everything that was upmarket to the SR+ in order to make room for it. So the SR+ caused the power boost for the other models, it won't be getting one it's self right now as that would defeat the purpose.

You don’t think racing from a stop line is going to net you a ticket? And where it “counts”?! Seriously?

The beautiful thing about the Tesla though is that it would be hard to prove you were racing as long as you didn't stray above the speed limit. No roaring engine. No squealing tires. "No officer, I was not racing that Mustang that was beside me, I was only at half throttle...and I know for a fact I only got up to 45 mph in this 45 mph zone, would you like to see my TeslaCam footage?"