Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ 1/8 Mile tested: with and w/o Track Mode (Bonus Video vs. Dual Motor AWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC!

On a previous thread, I discussed how I personally felt that Track Mode would likely improve Track times. I know when it is on, it definitely feels faster. Today, the wife and I put this to the test. We drove down to the track and and did a few runs (SoC was at 95% and after 5 runs, 90%).

Tesla P3D+: Both runs is the result on the LEFT:
Top slip: Track Mode Off.
Bottom Slip: Track Mode On.

RGYlqgC.jpg

Bonus Video: My wife on the right lane racing a Model 3. I know the other TM3 was an AWD Dual Motor, not sure if it was P3D- or just Dual Motor, but she did mention it was a DM:

Track mode doesn't change power output or acceleration.
Track Mode On doesn't change power output but Track Mode Off does alter power output depending on your launch. Enabling Track Mode does give it an advantage for slightly quicker time. Given that there are no gears, the advantage of track mode isn't realized as significant as it would on say a Corvette, however it does show it is slightly quicker on the immediate launch.

Track Mode On doesn't change power output but Track Mode Off does alter power output depending on your launch. Enabling Track Mode does give it an advantage for slightly quicker time. Given that there are no gears, the advantage of track mode isn't realized as significant as it would on say a Corvette, however it does show it is slightly quicker on the immediate launch.
I don’t see how Track Mode can make it faster in a straight line. From everything we’ve seen, Track Mode is about traction control in corners, on a track. It seems to allow much bigger slip angles.
No extra power. It might actually let you car break traction in a drag race, making for slower times. Might be what we see up here, where Track Mode is slower. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: kbecks13
I don’t see how Track Mode can make it faster in a straight line. From everything we’ve seen, Track Mode is about traction control in corners, on a track. It seems to allow much bigger slip angles.
No extra power. It might actually let you car break traction in a drag race, making for slower times. Might be what we see up here, where Track Mode is slower. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Track Mode is the quicker slip...

• Love
Reactions: BillO
Track Mode is the quicker slip...

I really doubt it's very significant for starting from a standstill as that's not really what track mode was designed for. It's designed to allow increased tire slip angle when cornering, but that is basically irrelevant for accelerating in a straight line.

Also, you have power consumption from running your AC compressor in overdrive which would theoretically reduce power available for the motors, but that trade-off is totally acceptable for track sessions where you would otherwise overheat.

Also, i'm fairly confident you get better power output from your battery pack when it is slightly warm and not cold. This is why the P100D actually warms the battery if you turn on ludicrous mode. Track Mode chills your battery to provide more cooling for long track sessions, so this is fighting the goal of sudden power output for a drag race.

Reactions: gavine
I've never taken a car to a drag facility. Do those slips mean reaction time was over a second? If so, seems like an eternity.

Also, the bottom slip was run first so in theory a higher state of charge unless you charged between runs.

I mistyped originally. It was late in the night and I am unable to edit the original post.

The top slip is Track Mode: On, which is the quicker slip. It was also with a lower SoC, since it was later in the night and still yielded a quicker run.
The bottom slip is Track Mode: Off, which is the slower slip, earlier in the day and higher SoC.

Lastly, yes, my reaction time sucks, I don't visit the track all that often.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW