Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D with Performance Upgrade and Black Interior status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Big day came and went yesterday. Was excited to pick up my car as you can all imagine. There was a twin right next to it, VIN only a few before mine. Waited around a bit for the paperwork, which took about 10 minutes. I signed everything but the delivery acceptance as I wanted to go over it beforehand. Not that it would have really mattered, I’m sure they would have cancelled that and all the other paperwork in case I rejected delivery.... which I did unfortunately :(

The car had dirt inside the on the wood dash, also had several dirt smudges on the lining. Center console had several scratches/smudges. There was a 3 inch pen mark on the driver’s side door and in general did not look like someone had taken the time to properly prepare the car for delivery. On the exterior, most of the panel gaps were OK, the charging port stuck out a bit as has been the case for many. The rear bumper had several spots where the paint was raised and painted over, not sure how to describe it, but a bunch of several small pimples throughout. Hard to see from 10 feet away, but noticeable up close. The trunk was also raised higher on one side than the other. Several small scuffs all over the clearcoat as well.

I would have accepted the car at this point, the rims were fine, no curb rash, just some smudges on them. Overall from afar, the car looked solid. 9 miles on the odometer, though I did notice 400+ Wh/mile.... some spirited driving in its short lifespan I’m assuming. Wasn’t too happy about that number, but it could also have been done by the factory to make sure the car was up to snuff?

Then, I saw it, the one flaw I would not accept for a brand new car, no matter the price. As I looked over the trunk misalignment, it caught my eye, right on the passenger side rear glass, a crack!! :eek::mad:

I had gotten a voicemail from one of the delivery people earlier in the week stating that my car had passed inspection with flying colors and I could take delivery 3 days before my scheduled date. When I called him back, he pushed pretty hard to push up my delivery date by a few days due to the lack of space at their facility. Initially I told him I couldn’t, but a day later it turned out that I could in fact take delivery sooner. The tone of his request made it seem like he was upset at me when I initially said I couldn’t move up my delivery date, as if it was my fault my undelivered car was taking up valuable space. I understand they want to push out cars and space is indeed an issue, but this isn’t the way.

Seems the bar for “flying colors” is set pretty low. Anyone that cared to give the car a once-over would have spotted the things I did, took me less than 5 minutes. There was also a bunch of flakes on the driver side rear quarter panel that were there due to their detailing process (buffing?). It was honestly embarrassing (as a customer and shareholder) to see people coming out with spray bottles and cleaner to clean the very obvious scuffs/dirt present on the car.

They apologized profusely of course and I kept my cool, I went in expecting the worst (to reject delivery) and unfortunately it came down to that. The crack itself wasn’t huge, maybe over an inch, but it would mean they would have to replace it, which would mean I’d be without the car for at least a couple weeks and then I’d have to worry about possible leaks and fitting, as the glass is a major part of his car.

I opted to wait for a new VIN, mine was 72xxx, as most DBM P3D’s w/ black interior have been (1st batch at least). I was able to get a loaner through them, though I had to fight for that as well. I’m thankful they did of course, but even that was a struggle. I realize they are not obligated to, so I happily took their gas-guzzling SUV as it was better than nothing. I waited 2.5 years, so what’s (hopefully) another 3-5 weeks. :(

Good luck to the rest of you all! Back to waiting I go.
That's terrible. Sorry to hear that :( Hopefully you will be able to get a new and better car soon!

They are really pushing hard at the end of the quarter

6/30: Ordered P-
9/6: First ever communication is email saying I can schedule for end of Sept or early Oct. Still had edit. Also found out about Track Mode only on P+
9/10: Edit disappeared for a day or so but came back, so changed to P+. Edit wasn't available anymore after that.
9/13: Got text asking to schedule delivery in 2-3 days.

The only communication I got prior to this surprise delivery notice was the same email that a lot of people got about scheduling delivery later in the month. I still need to talk to them about changing financing and other things. I did call the main Tesla number earlier, but they said I would need to wait to talk to an ISA or IDA so I had no one to communicate my changes to, and you can't do it online because once you select cash, you can't edit any of it. I'm not scrambling to get final docs from Tesla to complete finnacing. I wish they would give more warning than a couple of days or let me make a note in my account that I need to make some changes to the info I uploaded.

I'm sure that's a major factor. Let's hope they make the date!
Picked up the car today. A few days earlier than scheduled. They had so many cars to deliver that even the grass parking lot next to the Austin Ponds Spring location was overflowing.
The 3PD+ is a blast. Had lots of fun. My high school age kids commented that I was behaving like their classmates. Love the car. I am sure the wh/mile is in the 500’s but that is why you get the “P”

Hi, all. I am finally joining you guys! :D

After long long consideration and switching in design studio, I bought P3D+

Performance Model 3
Red Multi-coat
Performance Package (mainly aesthetic beauty of red brake calipers with silver wheel)
Black Premium Interior
Free Unlimited Supercharging

Debated EAP or PUP but ended up choosing PUP as I have a choice to upgrade in the future. Didn't want to have buyer's remorse.
Also what catalyzed my purchase were both 7.5K tax credit and Free unlimited supercharging (FUSC). I believe this is the last train to FUSC as all new Model S/X are also losing the privilege, except for the 1st year.

I will give you guys update.

Owner of Model S & Model X
Invited to Configure 12/21/2017
Ordered 9/3/2018
More to come...

Here is the update.

Invited to Configure 12/21/2017
Ordered 9/3/2018
Changed the color from Red to Silver Metallic. 9/11/2018 (panic happened when Silver Metallic is going away!)
Edit button gone 9/13
Ready to pick up 9/20
But I called to defer to 9/30 because we are out of state.

Can you believe it?

In other words, from the change of configuration, it only takes 9 days!!!

So I asked whether I am getting the car from the already built car refused by someone's delivery. No, they said it is being built right now.
:eek:

Picked up the car today. A few days earlier than scheduled. They had so many cars to deliver that even the grass parking lot next to the Austin Ponds Spring location was overflowing.
The 3PD+ is a blast. Had lots of fun. My high school age kids commented that I was behaving like their classmates. Love the car. I am sure the wh/mile is in the 500’s but that is why you get the “P”
Awesome, congrats! :) Did they rush you out or did you have plenty of time to inspect the car before leaving? Any build quality issues?

T minus 10 hours to my delivery... I am absolutely terrified of the rash of people posting about quality and delivery issues..... Maybe I'm just paying more attention to them now that I'm at that stage. The unknown will be known soon though. This thread will soon run its course for all of us. It's been a fun ride.

Reactions: PessimiStick
T minus 10 hours to my delivery... I am absolutely terrified of the rash of people posting about quality and delivery issues..... Maybe I'm just paying more attention to them now that I'm at that stage. The unknown will be known soon though. This thread will soon run its course for all of us. It's been a fun ride.
Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about your delivery experience! :D

Good luck.

I am scheduled for 9/30 @ 8PM. That's probably the last delivery of the quarter!

• Funny
Reactions: Jedi2155
Picked up my P3D+ yesterday. Was hoping it would be a great experience after they sent my first car to Hawaii but unfortunately it wasn't.

My original appointment was at 8am but they pushed it back to 12pm after the car arrived that morning, a day late. Everyone was nice and paperwork took 5 minutes. Then they took me to the car and had a quick intro and setup of my phone. My DS said take it for a ride and I say I needed to look around the car first. After being told they had looked over the car and it was perfect I found three problems in a quick walk around. First, the diver's door was unaligned but fixable. Second, the passenger side rear facing camera assembly was popped out from the sided of the car, broken clip I was later told. Third, the trunk lid was misaligned and had a small dent. After seeing the dent I stopped looking and went back in to get my DS. He took it back to get it checked out and told me it will take a few hours to aligned the door and replace the camera. I was expecting a few issues and was eager to get the car but I went home to wait for a call.

The DS called me about 45 minutes later and told me the door was fixed and they had to order a new version C side camera but installed a version B until it could be replaced. For the small dent in the trunk they said it would be easily fixed at a future appointment. They offered to deliver it to my home and hesitantly I accepted. I should have went back to the DS and complete my inspection before accepting but my desire to get it now and drive was to much to resist.

It was delivered and I plugged in my wall charger for the first time, worked perfect! My DS said if I find anything else just let them know as they just started a new policy to fix any issue found within three days of taking delivery. He said it was to relieve the pressure of finding all issues before accepting delivery. It worked for me and I accepted the car. Car drove great just like the test drive and autopilot was close to flawless. My wife preferred it to my driving which I didn't expect would happen.

I arrived a friends home to show off and that is when I started noticing more issues. The trunk was much worse then I had previously noticed. Every corner of it was misaligned and I could slightly see into the trunk while it was closed on the drivers side. I decided to head home and take a much closer look. On the way home I turned off the music and listened. There was a lot of wind noise coming from the roof above me. Also a clicking sound from the area of the driver side A pillar started about halfway home the has continued ever since, its driving me crazy.

At home I found many issues. The glass above the driver was a different curve than the other roof windows and the front corners were higher then the windshield and the molding was incorrect. The front bumper was misaligned and the gap between it and the hood was about double the correct size. The driver door that was realigned was still bad with the bottom of the door coming within about a millimeter or two of hitting the rocker panel. The back passenger door hang about a quarter inch low and make a horrible metal on metal sound when closing which was hard to do. This door also had the trim at the bottom of the window sticking out and not aligned with the other trim. Inspecting the broken camera that needed to be replaced I noticed that the metal behind it where it clipped in was bent back. This is probably the reason why the clip couldn't latch on and broke.

Today I drove to work and the clicking sound was still happening, so annoying. Then turning on the music I noticed a lot of vibrations coming from the same general area of the clicking. After work I took the car to my detailer and started noticing the front motor making a loud winding noise on acceleration and regeneration. At this point I may be just hearing things as I'm feeling like the car is a lemon. My detailer has the same P3D+ as me but with white interior. We compared our cars and he was surprised how many issues my car had considering his was build 2 months ago and mine about a week ago. He told me it looks like all of my panels are misaligned like the first one put on was incorrect and the rest misaligned like they were all based off the alignment of the first panel.

I have called Tesla service and told them about all the issues I found. Going in on Monday for a service appointment to get everything checked out. I was hoping Tesla had solved most of the body alignment issues but with my car being manufacture this month, 9/18, looks like it is still a work in progress. Don't be like me and let your excitement to finally get your car after years of waiting stop you from taking a hard long look at every angle of your car before accepting delivery.

Awesome, congrats! :) Did they rush you out or did you have plenty of time to inspect the car before leaving? Any build quality issues?
Tesla has a brand new policy. If you do not love the car or find any defects return it in 2 days no question asked. Yes they did not clean the “new car.” There was visible dirt on the dash etc.... but overall minor issue.
I am getting a full Xpell wrap n tint; and They want 7 days for that- will miss the car - she goes in today. I will put the car in valet mode, so cool. Also the car got an over the air update last night.

Reactions: CrazyCoconut
Tesla has a brand new policy. If you do not love the car or find any defects return it in 2 days no question asked. Yes they did not clean the “new car.” There was visible dirt on the dash etc.... but overall minor issue.
I am getting a full Xpell wrap n tint; and They want 7 days for that- will miss the car - she goes in today. I will put the car in valet mode, so cool. Also the car got an over the air update last night.

I believe Valet mode locks access to the frunk. If you’re getting a wrap they will most probably need to open and close it.

I believe Valet mode locks access to the frunk. If you’re getting a wrap they will most probably need to open and close it.

That is a good point I didn't even consider. I'm having my front end done and was planning on using valet mode for piece of mind. The shop I'm using typically does cars many times more expensive than my P3D+ so I'm sure they are professional enough they they won't be joyriding around, but.....

In any case, I think I would want to look over it thoroughly myself anyway. Good to hear you didn't have any major issues though! I plan to do some of the easier PPF install areas myself, then have my installer do the more difficult parts. Probably will do tint at XPEL though. You'll have to let me know how that goes. I've had PPF done at XPEL before, but not tint. They do a good job :)