Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85+ in the real world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my P85+ this afternoon. Big tesla grin. I want to spend more time with the car before drawing too many conclusions. Having said that, I went to a large open parking lot tonight and ... Well, broke in the brakes and tires. It's a large car, and you can feel the weight in turns. I did not get any sense of "floating" while doing high speed lane maneuvers.

More to come.
jumuvaqy.jpg

The more I see the red, the more I like it. Look forward to the full report!

Can we get a pic from the rear, low enough to see if the tires "LOOK" wider? Thx!

- - - Updated - - -

I picked up my P85+ this afternoon. Big tesla grin. I want to spend more time with the car before drawing too many conclusions. Having said that, I went to a large open parking lot tonight and ... Well, broke in the brakes and tires. It's a large car, and you can feel the weight in turns. I did not get any sense of "floating" while doing high speed lane maneuvers.

More to come.
jumuvaqy.jpg

Congrats!

The tires are 1/2" taller, and I am surprised that I can see the difference, but there is a little more of a raised angle to the rear, or am I imagining the difference?

The rear wheels are wider, not taller. I did an eyeball comparison at the service center with a p85 and couldn't see the difference. It's 20mm wider.

A

I was out of town in CA so was very late in getting pictures. I have 2 albums set up on teslasix.imgur.com. The first album are iphone pictures of a Red P85+ at the Menlo Park Tesla store. And in that album are also pictures of a Blue P85 at the Tesla store to offer as some comparison.

The second album contains suspension pictures of my P85+ on a lift. The pictures are fairly (very) random, duplicative, and I expect others will have better more organized photos soon but hopefully this will give you something until then.

http://teslasix.imgur.com/

245 35 21's diameter 27.75 inches

265 35 21 's diameter 28.30 inches

Tire Tech Information - Tire Size Guide

Why would the diameter be different?

P225/50R16 91S

The 225 indicates this tire is 225 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the 225mm can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).

225mm / 25.4 = 8.86"

Wow you are an angel Six. Thanks so much. I love how the P+ rear wheels fill up the wheel well so much more than the P. That was my sole aesthetic complaint about the MS. I even asked the Tesla guy if you could add spacers to fix that (he didn't know)!

I was out of town in CA so was very late in getting pictures. I have 2 albums set up on teslasix.imgur.com. The first album are iphone pictures of a Red P85+ at the Menlo Park Tesla store. And in that album are also pictures of a Blue P85 at the Tesla store to offer as some comparison.

The second album contains suspension pictures of my P85+ on a lift. The pictures are fairly (very) random, duplicative, and I expect others will have better more organized photos soon but hopefully this will give you something until then.

http://teslasix.imgur.com/

Awesome! Thanks Six......Now how do I buy the rear rims and tires?

Pardon the basics of the question, but what do they mean by "staggered" tires?

On-topic: I'm going to wait a year for Tesla to add some more features (hopefully redesigned A/C vents including some for the third-row, ACC, parking sensors, and so on), and then trade in my P for a P+. The P+ option is $6.5K when buying a new car, but the partial upgrade to P+ on an existing P is $13K, and I see the $6.5K difference as partly offsetting the loss of value in my older car when traded in or sold. :)

Ah, thanks. I was wondering if it meant something sophisticated and weird like modifying the suspension to make one tire touch the ground some small distance further ahead of the other, or some such. Then I figured I was reading too much into it, and should just ask. :-D

Just a quick thought on that P+ retrofit price.....
The parts plus labor could easily add up to $6500 even if the P+ parts are sold for the exact same price as the standard parts. Both have bushings so there is no cost upper for the P+ parts to Tesla (well, maybe a very small one as numbers are lower and they are adding extra part numbers to their system). The upper control arms are $220 so it would be easy to get to $3250 or more for uppers, lowers, torque links and toe links (H. Mees' indication that "all the arms are changed"). If Tesla does the P+ retrofit, they have to do the tires as that is how the package is certified/tested.

Now if I do the work, I am under no obligation to change my perfectly good 21s with Pilots. This could well bring the P+ upgrade down to a much more sensible $4,000ish number plus a few hours changing out parts followed by a trip the the alignment rack. Measure the position of the toe link with respect to the chassis and toe will even be close when it all goes back together again. Food for thought.