Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Loaner Cars! Sweet!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a regular brown 85kWh loaner today from Freemont SC. It has 79 miles on it. It has the pano roof, navigation, air susp ... pretty much everything but no leather and no power trunk lift gate. So I cant figure out if it has Tech Package or not?
The good part is that I dont have an ICE as a rental. However, it took them over an 1.5 hours to find the loaner and then lost the keys to the loaner. First they couldnt find it, something about not being able to track cars via GPS after 50 miles. Then after they found it and started charging to give me miles to get home, someone misplaced the keys. Just as the Enterprise guy showed up to get me, they found the keys (thank goodness).

Your issue with the keys was my fault. I apologize for the delay. The vehicle we gave you was not yet set up for loaner use. But it all worked out. And yes, much better to drive than an ICE.

Mike

Welcome, Mike, to the forums! Always good to have a Tesla employee post here. Be seeing you at the Fremont SC in the near future!
Yes, thanks Mike for responding. I will say that with all the hiccups in the beginnings of this new car company, Tesla always seems to do the "right" thing in the end. I do appreciate that. I know you guys work crazy hours and so I would also like to say that the guy helping me today (apologize for forgetting his name) did an outstanding job. I do hope his efforts are noticed :smile:

I was just thinking.....

What if John (who owns a white Tesla Model S) and his friend Peter (who does not own a Tesla Model S) both went together to a Tesla Service Center for the annual service of John's white Tesla Model S. There they leave behind John's white Tesla Model S, and they get a brand new P85 black Tesla Model S loaner for a few days.

They (John and Peter) drive away in the brand new P85 black Tesla Model S loaner. They decide to go for a long drive, and Peter gets to drive the car as well. Both men like the car. John is happy with his own white Tesla Model S. Peter says that he actually would like to buy this car. He is happy with the color and all the options.

Will it be possible for Peter to buy the brand new P85 black Tesla Model S loaner?
I'm disappointed. I thought this example was going to end with coining of the word "cloaner".

cloaner (n): Vehicle made by doing physics jujitsu on a Tesla loaner fleet vehicle to turn it into twins.

Prospective service done on my 12V battery today. Got an S85 loaner in Costa Mesa. Noticed that off the line acceleration was a little slower than my P85, but acceleration from 45-75 was almost identical. Very impressed with the S85 power, overall, compared to the P85. Loaner was otherwise fully loaded. Recommended that they have the alloy gators installed on their loaner vehicles, as many come back with rim rash that costs over $200 per wheel to repair, plus potential tire damage. Service tech saw mine and noted that to be a good idea. I hope they take the advice. Service tech told me that the P85+ would be placed in service as loaner models soon. Costa Mesa says they are getting more loaner models within the next week or so. Great service overall!

Any one get a loaner from Menlo Park recently?

Car was in service at Menlo Park for two days a few weeks ago, and I got a crappy rental because they only have two loaners and they were already given away. I'm now scheduled to bring the car back in next Monday and would really, really, really want a loaner instead... Life is horrible without a Tesla...

my car is in for service and a black P85 loaner was delivered to my house last night. It's beautiful, has a tighter feel likely from being about 6,000 cars further down the production line. the odd bummer for me is that the service P85's don't have active air suspension and thus are not adjustable. I can't park it in my garage without lifting the suspension because of the steep grade, so I can't charge the loaner except at 110V/12A, which is limiting. It seems odd to me that they created a version without active air. anyone know why they did this?

my car is in for service and a black P85 loaner was delivered to my house last night. It's beautiful, has a tighter feel likely from being about 6,000 cars further down the production line. the odd bummer for me is that the service P85's don't have active air suspension and thus are not adjustable. I can't park it in my garage without lifting the suspension because of the steep grade, so I can't charge the loaner except at 110V/12A, which is limiting. It seems odd to me that they created a version without active air. anyone know why they did this?
Damn. If I would have known this, I would have waited to buy a loaner. I wanted a P85, but the air suspension was a dealbreaker.

@ken830 I was given a roadster as a loaner last week at Menlo Park. What a fun car with a cool sound. I think they made a point to get me a Tesla since I had been in for minor service the prior week. My loaner the prior week from Enterprise was a Ford Explorer. Now that was a crappy drive.

what don't you like about active air? I do have to say that the standard suspension corners remarkably well with little body roll, at least that I could tell on the back roads here.
Active air suspensions have a very high rate of failure usually after the warranty expires. I live and drive on gravel roads quite a bit(sometimes with lots of snow and mud), and that isn't the best environment for air suspensions. I plan to keep this car for a long time, so my decision was pretty much a no brainer.

Thanks. The last time I was in, the guy in front of me got the last loaner (Roadster)... I really hope I get one... The last rental was a Sonata Hybrid, which probably is a good-enough car if I have never driven a Tesla...

@ken830 I was given a roadster as a loaner last week at Menlo Park. What a fun car with a cool sound. I think they made a point to get me a Tesla since I had been in for minor service the prior week. My loaner the prior week from Enterprise was a Ford Explorer. Now that was a crappy drive.

That is really wierd, why would they make their loaner cars in configurations that couldn't be ordered?

Any one get a loaner from Menlo Park recently?

ken830, I am taking my car in for its first scheduled Tesla service end of this week at Menlo Park and was told I would be getting a loaner. They were supposed to get in a fleet of Model S loaners this week or last. I'll let you know what happens after I drop the car off. Keeping my fingers crossed it is a P85+, so I can compare it to my P85.

ken830, I am taking my car in for its first scheduled Tesla service end of this week at Menlo Park and was told I would be getting a loaner. They were supposed to get in a fleet of Model S loaners this week or last. I'll let you know what happens after I drop the car off. Keeping my fingers crossed it is a P85+, so I can compare it to my P85.

Only they loan out the loaners, so they bring out a VW Passat to trade. I was told I'd get a loaner, too, until I got there. Then it was over to Enterprise. Driving a VW after a Tesla is not what the doctor ordered.

I was greatly irritated, about this and several other issues. Tesla does not have it together yet. Two loaners (a fleet??) don't cover the need, and a management that sends loaners out after telling you he will have one for you makes for a bad experience. They need to move a couple managers on out to the boonies where they can't hurt anyone.