Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Loaner Cars! Sweet!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not very pleased.

Dropped off my MS; hoped to get a P85 loaner. Got this instead. :D

aga9yrus.jpg
Sent via Tapatalk.

So, what did you think of the roadster vs. Model S? (Have you had the chance to drive one before??)

We have a Blue P85 loaner that we got yesterday when dropping of ours for some small items and the latch recall. VIN is 11611 (might also be in the recall...) and had 380 miles on it. Can tell the difference on 0-60 from our S85 but outside of that it is a bit noisy compared to ours. Probably due to the 21" wheels/tires, no tint, and no parcel shelf.

I love the concept, but when I took my S in for service recently, the loaner I got looked and drove exactly like a Chevy Malibu. Not exactly the supreme driving experience I was expecting. I absolutely love the idea of "loaning up", but I just wish that the hype didn't precede the actual execution. Maybe next time....

So, what did you think of the roadster vs. Model S? (Have you had the chance to drive one before??)

I actually liked it quite a bit. I was afraid I would have trouble getting in and getting out, but after the first couple of awkward entry/exit experiments, it was pretty seamless for me. Like MichaelS said, when you drive over a bump, manhole cover or something, it feels and sounds like you've run over a small mammal. You feel everything in this car unless the road is absolutely smooth. You can hear a very distinct engine whine when accelerating, and there are all kinds of fans and fluids running around.

The Roadster accelerates like nobody's business! The wheel is very heavy and I liked that quite a bit. I felt like I really had control of the car when turning corners. With the windows down, it wasn't too windy in the cabin. I also feel like the car utilized battery more conservatively than the Model S -- in practical terms, a mile seemed like a mile in the Roadster whereas a mile in the Model S is more like 1.3 miles of battery consumption in the Model S. The Roadster turns a lot of heads -- it really does. It turned more heads than my Model S does around here. Perhaps that's because the Model is can be disguised as other street cars. There's no mistaking the cool oddity of the Roadster.

It was just really fun to drive, and I've never driven one or any type of car like this before.

When I got back my Model S this afternoon, I felt like I was driving a Hummer! It was so high off the ground. The Model S was so much quieter and more comfortable IMHO as well. I was glad to have it back. However, I will definitely try to get a Roadster loaner if I have to take the Model S back for anything!

I am scheduled for a service next week in the Menlo Park CA location.

(1) they said they are closing soon and "moving to Burlingame?" and other stores/service centers are opening in Palo Alto and San Jose

(2) they said they sold off all their P85 loaner cars so they would definitely offer a loaner from Enterprise Rent a Car.

What happened at least to the valet service?

I am surprised it almost seems like a totally different company from the one depicted by all the flashy press releases by Musk on the web site....

- - - Updated - - -

Only they loan out the loaners, so they bring out a VW Passat to trade. I was told I'd get a loaner, too, until I got there. Then it was over to Enterprise. Driving a VW after a Tesla is not what the doctor ordered.

I was greatly irritated, about this and several other issues. Tesla does not have it together yet. Two loaners (a fleet??) don't cover the need, and a management that sends loaners out after telling you he will have one for you makes for a bad experience. They need to move a couple managers on out to the boonies where they can't hurt anyone.

I think it was better before Musk issued the press release talking about the P85 loaners. The head of the service department at the Menlo Park location of Tesla was very nice when I met him last fall after receiving my car. He was apologetic at the time for the Enterprise rentals but was offering great service otherwise. I think the company's executive suite needs to be more careful on what they promise to the community. It's like when an airline highly touts some new seating configuration for their fleet but when most of their planes are still the old model. Setting things up for disappointment....

I am scheduled for a service next week in the Menlo Park CA location.

(1) they said they are closing soon and "moving to Burlingame?" and other stores/service centers are opening in Palo Alto and San Jose

(2) they said they sold off all their P85 loaner cars so they would definitely offer a loaner from Enterprise Rent a Car.

What happened at least to the valet service?

I am surprised it almost seems like a totally different company from the one depicted by all the flashy press releases by Musk on the web site....

- - - Updated - - -

I think it was better before Musk issued the press release talking about the P85 loaners. The head of the service department at the Menlo Park location of Tesla was very nice when I met him last fall after receiving my car. He was apologetic at the time for the Enterprise rentals but was offering great service otherwise. I think the company's executive suite needs to be more careful on what they promise to the community. It's like when an airline highly touts some new seating configuration for their fleet but when most of their planes are still the old model. Setting things up for disappointment....

Yeah, there's a little bit of that, for sure. As an owner, I think that since Elon promised us a fleet of P85/P85+ loaners, Tesla shouldn't sell them to just any Tom, Dick or Harry off the streets. If a current owner wants to swap cars and pay the upgrade, fine: at least there's still a model S in the loaner pool.

OTOH, as a stockholder, I'm thrilled that Tesla has a hard time keeping the loaners. Tesla's in the business of selling cars, after all.

Yes...same thing happened to me. I received a call today from Tesla service and was told that they needed to perform some upgrades and take care of some technical service bulletin items on my Model S. They asked if I had another vehicle to drive while my Model S was in the shop. I asked why I wasn't being offered a loaner Model S and was told that they do not have any in the Houston service center to loan out at this time. I was disappointed and will have to take my truck to get an inspection sticker before Monday so that I can send my car to Houston for service. I find it odd that the loaner program was hyped as a special service to us owners and now loaners are not available. This change in service level seems uncharacteristic of an Elon Musk company... I hope that this lapse in quality service is due to growing pains and is merely an anomaly.

A while after the call I felt as if I had been somewhat betrayed by Tesla. I thought about the extra money that I spent for a Signature Series and now I am going out of my way to facilitate the service of my car. Sheesh.

This sucks, but definitely better than the opposite scenario where the factory is running at full capacity and there are no customers left waiting for cars, so they keep cranking out loaner cars that just pile up at service centers.

Took old #992 in for annual service and got a P85 for two days..............................OMG!!!! No wonder you guys are bonkers over this car! It is a very nice ride.
Presently in the process of making financials to pay off #992 (cant get rid of that) so we can get a brown S with beige interior........... This came from my wife!! She drove the loaner around one afternoon with her Yoga gang, came home and told me her Honda hybrid was too old and we need a new car!!

Go Tesla ...... thats what I call good marketing!

I for one am happy to get any car when dropping off my MS.

Sure, I'd love to have a MS or Roadster, but having Tesla have an arranged rental sitting there and waiting for me is just fine.

Is that what they do for you? At Menlo Park, we have to wait around for the Enterprise guy to show up, drive us two towns over to Enterprise in Redwood City. Then wait in line to complete the paperwork to rent a car. At least we can just leave the rental at the service center when the Tesla is done with service. But not before having to fill-up at a gas station first.

Drove the P85 loaner just now as part of the recall service. Wow! I forgot what that was like as it's been a few months since the test drive. However...I think it reduced power after about 15 miles to work or spirited driving in the searing AZ heat. I got a yellow bar around 240kW and the car was noticeably slower (felt like driving my 40/60). Also, I was anxious to see if the road noise I get from my aftermarket 20" wheels and tires was worse than the stock 21's. I know that mine are worse than the 19's. Well nope! Those 21's had the most god awful drone at 75mph. It was literally louder than an exhaust. I'm going to ask if something is wrong it's so bad.

Returned my P85 loaner after an amazing day of g- force thrill rides ! Each time I floored it , did something like a burnout and got plastered yo the seat and could literally feel my cheeks being pulled sideways ! Just loved it, but as I told the guys at RSC, if I were to have this beast I would lose my license in a jiffy ! Out of the world !

Returned my P85 loaner after an amazing day of g- force thrill rides ! Each time I floored it , did something like a burnout and got plastered yo the seat and could literally feel my cheeks being pulled sideways ! Just loved it, but as I told the guys at RSC, if I were to have this beast I would lose my license in a jiffy ! Out of the world !

That makes it even harder for me to endure the wait until 4 Sept when I will have my test drive here in and around Frankfurt - Tesla told me I would get to drive a P85.

Of course it's a good tactic, letting potential customers drive the top of the line model. That way them selling me a car is far more likely :wink:

Is that what they do for you? At Menlo Park, we have to wait around for the Enterprise guy to show up, drive us two towns over to Enterprise in Redwood City. Then wait in line to complete the paperwork to rent a car. At least we can just leave the rental at the service center when the Tesla is done with service. But not before having to fill-up at a gas station first.

Same thing the two times I had Enterprise rentals from Fremont (days before loaners). Also got lightly hustled to spring for extra insurance protection by Enterprise when he heard I had a $1k deductible... "You got a thousand dollahrs to play around with?!" Bite me... where did you just pick me up from?

The Portland service folks have locked me up as a customer.

We've had my Roadster scheduled for some minor service for Thursday of this week. But with me leaving on Friday morning for BC2BC, neither of us were comfortable with waiting till Thursday to start the service - what if a part is needed and not on hand? End result is I took the Roadster in on Monday to leave with them for whenever time opened up in their schedule, and they sent me on my way in a brown P85. Driving the Model S has certainly made it easy to be parted with the Roadster for a few days, and it's nice to see how the rest of you live :)

This is a service experience so far beyond anything I've had before. I realize that the next time around, all of the loaners might be out with other people at the time, so I don't figure I'm guaranteed an S or Roadster each time. I also figure that Tesla is still figuring out what the demand and sales rate from the loaner and test drive fleet will be, and then getting that number of cars built and distributed (and having room in the build schedule to maintain that fleet). I bet that in a year, and probably more like a few months, loaner S's will be more the norm than the exception.

In the meantime, I am treasuring this experience, and happy to be supporting a company that works this way.

- - - Updated - - -

Same thing the two times I had Enterprise rentals from Fremont (days before loaners). Also got lightly hustled to spring for extra insurance protection by Enterprise when he heard I had a $1k deductible... "You got a thousand dollahrs to play around with?!" Bite me... where did you just pick me up from?

Heh - maybe that $1k deductible is part of the choices and attitude that make it possible to be picked up at the Tesla Service location.

Also got lightly hustled to spring for extra insurance protection by Enterprise when he heard I had a $1k deductible... "You got a thousand dollahrs to play around with?!" Bite me... where did you just pick me up from?

Got similar treatment the first time. But the second time, he left me alone when I declined. Hopefully, the next time, I'll get a loaner and bypass all of this nonsense...