Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 need front brake pads after 180k miles, need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well it took 180k miles finally for my front driver side brake pad to get low. its just starting to squeal so I need to replace front disc pads. Its a 2013 P85. the rear pads still look brand new lol.

is there anything special about the brake pads for the MS? can I take it anywhere to get it done? I know some folks here replace them themselves. I've never done this, and if it involves needing to flush brake fluid or whatever I wouldn't even want to attempt it. But I have a floor jack and breaker bar and torque wrench and swap/switch tires all the time, just never tried brake pads yet. If its just a matter of unbolting and rebolting without touching fluid or needing any other special equipment then I could probably do it myself. looking for advice... :)

With that many miles, you don't want to just compress the calipers and push the old fluid in caliper back into system. That is a common reason for later abs unit failure (small particulate gets into valves). If you do not flush/ bleed, you should at least open bleed screw when you are compressing piston in caliper.

It takes nearly no effort to flush, recommend you do it just do to mileage and it will keep you out of trouble.

well it took 180k miles finally for my front driver side brake pad to get low. its just starting to squeal so I need to replace front disc pads. Its a 2013 P85. the rear pads still look brand new lol.

is there anything special about the brake pads for the MS? can I take it anywhere to get it done? I know some folks here replace them themselves. I've never done this, and if it involves needing to flush brake fluid or whatever I wouldn't even want to attempt it. But I have a floor jack and breaker bar and torque wrench and swap/switch tires all the time, just never tried brake pads yet. If its just a matter of unbolting and rebolting without touching fluid or needing any other special equipment then I could probably do it myself. looking for advice... :)

These pads are ridiculously easy to change, but a brake job is not as simple as dropping in new pads. I don't think a Tesla is the car to start learning how to do brakes, so I would recommend you follow your own advice from your second post.

But I bet you your rear pads are going to need replacing too; you are only looking at the outside ones and the inside ones are the ones that seize up and wear out first. And sounds like you have never had them serviced? I am surprised you got this far with them being in New York. :eek:

Reactions: 2012MS85
Any ASE certified shop should be able to do the brakes and a flush - I would go to someone that specializes in higher-end cars however and make sure they have the right jack pads to lift the car. Could have them check the rears also ...

well, i went to a local shop that I've been going to for tires for years and they said that they cannot get the brake pads for my P85 from any distributor anywhere, that I'd only be able to get them from Tesla directly because they are a special order brake pad. never heard of this before. have a hard time believing thats true at all when I've seen others say its the same as on a vette and you can get them from tire rack, etc. I should probably just have it done at Tesla. I havent had a service in he last 120k miles anyway. problem is closest service center is about 5 hours away. grrrr

• Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85
Get a brake fluid moister tester and some copper testing strips. If you've got less than 1% moisture and less than 200 ppm copper, then your fluid is fine.

Most manufacturers have moved away from specific mileage and or time and now recommend "inspection" and replace when needed.

well, i went to a local shop that I've been going to for tires for years and they said that they cannot get the brake pads for my P85 from any distributor anywhere, that I'd only be able to get them from Tesla directly because they are a special order brake pad. never heard of this before. have a hard time believing thats true at all when I've seen others say its the same as on a vette and you can get them from tire rack, etc. I should probably just have it done at Tesla. I havent had a service in he last 120k miles anyway. problem is closest service center is about 5 hours away. grrrr

This is true, shops can't just get parts from tesla, you would have to do it with your vin.
BUT, the tesla calipers and pads are the same as a 2004 - 2007 generation Cts-v, 4 piston brembo brake package.
They are exact match I have purchased and used them for my Tesla before.
I also used the newer 6 piston version from the cts-v as a diy big brake upgrade

Link to the conversion and more info on our brakes: DIY...Big Brake Kit for Under 2k

Also if you need new rotors, centric makes direct replacements. I went with r1 concepts geomet rotors for the rear because I wanted them slotted and love them would do it again especially the slots. They help clean the pads from infrequent use

Last edited:
Get a brake fluid moister tester and some copper testing strips. If you've got less than 1% moisture and less than 200 ppm copper, then your fluid is fine.

Most manufacturers have moved away from specific mileage and or time and now recommend "inspection" and replace when needed.
I'd question whether the moisture content at the reservoir is the same as that at the furthest caliper.

I'd question whether the moisture content at the reservoir is the same as that at the furthest caliper.

You could be you'd be wrong. I've tested brake fluid from a bleeding and in the reservoir and the moisture content was the same. There's a reason why brake moisture testers exist and why they, along with copper content, are the standard in the industry for determining brake fluid life.

FYI, if anyone wants to do their own brake bleeding, I've used "speed bleeders" for years. It turns a two person job or a one person with an expensive bleeding machine in to a one person job without an expensive machine.