Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Ludicrous upgrade??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. I think the P85DL owners, especially the + ones, are in a very nice spot. If they wanted to go practically current, they could upgrade to refreshed fascia, LED headlights, color match the rocker panels, call it a day and still be able to brag about the unavailable + suspension their cars received. Not to mention, AP1 FTW too.

I'm on the 8 year plan with a 300K mile target. After that, I'll target upgrading to a 2 year old P100D provided I can find a way to retrofit the nose cone front back onto to it. I can't stand the squish duck bill look of the refresh.

• Funny
Reactions: Mickie
I have a 800HP , big block chevy in garage.
Unless you plan on going to drag strip, why? Do you want it? Put bragging rights into a nice vacation for family :)
I have been in about 50 drags, not been beat yet.
Really, no one's ever going to beat any P, much less a P100D?
Let me know who beats you?

I tried asking my service advisor too but she never responded :) I guess my idea of trying to call every service center and casually asking for it until one agrees won't work then?

From what I'm told by a reliable (non-Tesla) source, the P85DL firmware to enable Ludicrous mode is no longer available in the service center's computers to enable the feature. So even if they could do the hardware upgrade component (pyro fuse, contactors, etc), the firmware is not longer available to update the cars.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
I have a 800HP , big block chevy in garage.
Unless you plan on going to drag strip, why? Do you want it? Put bragging rights into a nice vacation for family :)
I have been in about 50 drags, not been beat yet.
Really, no one's ever going to beat any P, much less a P100D?
Let me know who beats you?
I don’t think it’s the feasibility factor, but more the simple fact that the power’s on tap if needed or wanted, that brings daily enjoyment or contentment.

Reactions: Russell
I don’t think it’s the feasibility factor, but more the simple fact that the power’s on tap if needed or wanted, that brings daily enjoyment or contentment.

From 0-30mph, P85D Insane and P85D Ludicrous are about the same. The difference is beyond 30mph, the Insane starts to let up while the Ludicrous keeps going. Really great for passing and getting out of trouble (or into trouble for some people) at highway speeds.

From 0-30mph, P85D Insane and P85D Ludicrous are about the same. The difference is beyond 30mph, the Insane starts to let up while the Ludicrous keeps going. Really great for passing and getting out of trouble (or into trouble for some people) at highway speeds.

I don't know about everyone else, but on the highway in SPORT not INSANE, when I want to pass or get out of a situation I find my self very quickly in triple digits with my right foot off the pedal and subsequently brake lights automatically on. I thought I needed L but HELLLLL NO. I'm good. Plus I'm pretty sure its less wear and tear this way. I plan on keeping this one as it belonged to the creator of Google Photos before me and makes it kinda special to me.

I don't know about everyone else, but on the highway in SPORT not INSANE, when I want to pass or get out of a situation I find my self very quickly in triple digits with my right foot off the pedal and subsequently brake lights automatically on. I thought I needed L but HELLLLL NO. I'm good. Plus I'm pretty sure its less wear and tear this way. I plan on keeping this one as it belonged to the creator of Google Photos before me and makes it kinda special to me.

Lol. True. It’s all relative. My previous EV was a Tesla-powered 2013 RAV4 EV with 0-60mph of 6.8 seconds in sport mode. Even then, I had no issues passing anything on the highway.

There is no difference in power output between Sport and Insane after 45 MPH.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
But I don't own a P90D nor a P100D.

But you have a P85D so you can see for yourself that above 45 MPH there is no difference in power between Sport and Insane. It's the same for all non Ludicrous P90Ds. Different for P90DL based on which version of the battery as it is for the P100D which has he highest speed before the two settings make no difference.

From what I'm told by a reliable (non-Tesla) source, the P85DL firmware to enable Ludicrous mode is no longer available in the service center's computers to enable the feature. So even if they could do the hardware upgrade component (pyro fuse, contactors, etc), the firmware is not longer available to update the cars.

So I finally spoke to my SA, and it seems it still is possible to actually upgrade so long as you had put down a deposit from way back when. At least that was what I was told. But if no deposit, there is no means possible to do it. It was basically expressed to me that if I did have a deposit down before, I could still do it...

I have no idea how the computer systems work, so maybe the firmware is no longer available unless you are already in the systems with a deposit or something? Just speculating.