TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P85D Ludicrous upgrade??

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Brewcitpizza, Mar 26, 2017.

1. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

Whether it's worth it or not is a totally personal thing. My two cents:
    - For what you get it's a super cheap performance upgrade compared to any other similar upgrade on an ICE car
    - If you got a P85D to begin with, you like the power. You'll probably like more power!

I enjoy it and don't regret shelling out the $5K.

• Like x 1
  2. P85DEE

P85DEE Active Member

Bragging rights are fleeting. Especially with a car like the Tesla. So if you're upgrading solely for bragging rights, well then it's wasted money if not right off the bat, well then soon off the bat.

I thought about trading up to another Ludicrous car, but have decided against it as I already have a Ludicrous car.

I'm looking at buying a second Tesla, possibly without Ludicrous as I already have a Ludicrous car and don't need nor want a second one nor one to replace this one.

And so the $5K upgrade in terms of passing power and launch capabilities over the P85D Insane, is more than worth it to me, because I recognize that bragging rights, cannot be kept for very long unless you're willing to spend money far in excess of 5 large.

In short, and this is just me, YMMV, I'd rather have two Teslas. One with Ludicrous, one without, than to have just one top dog Tesla which won't be top dog for very long anyway.

The 5K I spent upgrading to Ludicrous back in April of 2016, has been worth every penny.

• Like x 1
  3. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I'm glad to hear that you liked it. I still consider it once in a while, but I've decided that I'm going to a 100D in December. So there wouldn't be much gain in doing an upgrade now. And I don't think Tesla gives you any more on a trade, for having it. If I understand correctly, all of the P85Ds that go through CPO have the L removed, presumably to deal with some longevity issues.

4. P85DEE

P85DEE Active Member

I could be wrong, but I think P90Ds too.

5. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Member

L upgrade has been well worth the 5k for me. :cool:

6. sillydriver

sillydriver Member

Begin cynicism ...

I assume they remove the L with a software change, leaving the hardware upgrades in place. Then they can sell the new buyer an L upgrade for $5k, which being a software restoration has zero cost and 100% margin for Tesla.

... end cynicism.

• Funny x 1
  7. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

:) I doubt that L will ever be offered for these P85Ds, except for the original owner.

8. snd92

snd92 Member

That will result in better deals when selling P85Ds privately ;)

For the seller of course

• Like x 1
  9. Mickie

Mickie Member

I believe it was confirmed through Tesla by an owner selling his insane car that non- original owners can upgrade to ludicrous. And that it was tied to the date the car was either made or delivered and not to owners.

• Informative x 1
  10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

YMMV and my math might have been bad, but comparing the Tesla trade-in quote before and after Ludicrous upgrade (accounting for the addition of miles and age) I definitely felt like I got at least the $5,000 back in trade-in value (maybe the "$10,000 retail price"). FYI.

• Like x 1
  11. byeLT4

byeLT4 Member

This may be true although it seems like pulling teeth trying to find out. I almost bought a previous CPO that was sold without ludicrous but the current owner added it so I know it has been done.

• Like x 1
  12. playoutside

playoutside Member

Hmmm... just I picked up a CPO 04/2015 P85D. I asked my service rep but she said the Ludicrous upgrade is only available to the initial buyer. If anyone was able to upgrade their used/CPO P85D to Ludicrous, please let me know which service center did it. Thanks!

13. Chelaw

Chelaw New Member

I purchased a CPO 03/2015 P85D with Ludicrous in October.

14. Chelaw

Chelaw New Member

Meant in August.

15. playoutside

playoutside Member

Did it come with Ludicrous or did you add it?

16. Chelaw

Chelaw New Member

Came with it. It wasn’t advertised that way, but when I went to check the vehicle out, it had the badge on the back/showed in the display, and I was able to toggle it in the settings.

• Like x 3
  17. murph335

murph335 Member

I just called the service center for a quote on a 14 P85D I am looking to buy. They said I cant buy it or add it. Right now the only car I can add on L is a P100D. :(

18. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

Makes it harder for Tesla to sell new $150k+ 2.5 second cars if there's a lot of used $70k 2.9 second cars on the market. So I can see why they're not offering the retrofits to second owners.

19. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

You can't add L to the P100D either since it never came without it.

They stopped offering the L update on the P85D. I don't think that many ended up upgrading. Glad I did.

20. Mickie

Mickie Member

Agreed. I think the P85DL owners, especially the + ones, are in a very nice spot. If they wanted to go practically current, they could upgrade to refreshed fascia, LED headlights, color match the rocker panels, call it a day and still be able to brag about the unavailable + suspension their cars received. Not to mention, AP1 FTW too.

• Like x 3