Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Max Power Mode??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Google the following article "Internal Resistance of lithium battery modules with FreedomCar model" published in World Electric Vehicle Journal, and read through section 5 for more details on this.

You're right, it does indeed say that. Oddly, pretty much every other source I googled says just the opposite:

http://www.sersc.org/journals/IJUNESST/vol7_no4/27.pdf

"On-line Measurement of Internal Resistance of Lithium Ion Batteryfor EV and its Application Research"

3.2 "At the same SOC, the static internal resistance of thebattery decreases with the increase of temperature. "

Not trying to start a heated discussion(no pun intended) but just trying to understand it more.

I rebuilt a Honda Insight pack last year and measured the IR of each stick at full charge at difference temperatures and at 1C, 2C, and 3C, the IR dropped at higher temperatures, but those were NiMH batteries.

Ahh. Could it be that in the section you referenced since it's the section an "battery aging and temperature" that they mean that exposure to temperature over time increases IR which is true.

You're right, it does indeed say that. Oddly, pretty much every other source I googled says just the opposite:

"On-line Measurement of Internal Resistance of Lithium Ion Batteryfor EV and its Application Research"

3.2 "At the same SOC, the static internal resistance of thebattery decreases with the increase of temperature. "

Not trying to start a heated discussion(no pun intended) but just trying to understand it more.

I rebuilt a Honda Insight pack last year and measured the IR of each stick at full charge at difference temperatures and at 1C, 2C, and 3C, the IR dropped at higher temperatures, but those were NiMH batteries.

Ahh. Could it be that in the section you referenced since it's the section an "battery aging and temperature" that they mean that exposure to temperature over time increases IR which is true.

Its the same for most if not all batteries, and especially for LiPo batteries, the internal resistance is lower when the battery is warm. The original poster even gave the reason for this, the "speedier chemical reaction".

Yep, that's about how long it took for my P85D Insane. It now says, "Max Ready".

If you launch or floor it a number of times it will be ready sooner. It's about temperature so you can make it happen faster.

I'd like to think the max power upgrade is a precursor to the Ludicrous update.

I think they just know people want to have max power sooner so they gave everyone an option to get it to optimal temperature without using a lot of power to do so.

If you launch or floor it a number of times it will be ready sooner. It's about temperature so you can make it happen faster.

I think they just know people want to have max power sooner so they gave everyone an option to get it to optimal temperature without using a lot of power to do so.
Or maybe they are just super nerdy Simpson's fans...
tumblr_lpkxfbPkun1qf6a5to1_400.gif

I believe part of this may be due to FreedomCar model being used and also them testing as part of a module. There could be conductive elements that increase in resistance from heat.

You're the man fiksegts. Thanks.

Not a lot of difference at all. I had figured as much because from the early reports, it had not made much difference in the P90D Ludicrous performance numbers either.

Published on Oct 15, 2015
The latest software version 7 has a new option for Insane mode which allows you to condition the battery for Max Power. This test was done with Max Power in the ready state. There appears to be no notable difference in the acceleration numbers when comparing version 7 to version 6.2. 0-60 MPH was 3.08, 0-100 MPH was 8.31 and 1/4 mile was 11.63 @ 114.9 MPH"

Well, given that there's no tangible benefit from this and also that it adds a bit to battery degradation, I'd not be using this ever for sure.

If someone desperately wants to do an Insane launch straight out of the garage in a cold clime, it'd make sense to have the option in the mobile app; it's kinda silly to have to go to the car 20-some minutes before actually leaving, to turn it on. It's all moot, for me anyway.

Well, given that there's no tangible benefit from this and also that it adds a bit to battery degradation, I'd not be using this ever for sure.

If someone desperately wants to do an Insane launch straight out of the garage in a cold clime, it'd make sense to have the option in the mobile app; it's kinda silly to have to go to the car 20-some minutes before actually leaving, to turn it on. It's all moot, for me anyway.
Mine charged while I was driving. Not sure you have to be parked for it to gear up. That said, I noticed only a marginal difference. I suspect its more about preventing loss of performance in sub-optimal conditions.

Tesla gives us this, but still doesn't give us an option to heat the traction pack on shore power to avoid having a regen limit. Which option would help more people more often?