Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D / P90D range compared to 85D/90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Original specification show P85D/P90D has less range than their non Performance (85D/90D) couterpart. Did Tesla later send an update to Performance cars to improve the range (miles per change) similar to that of 85D/90D? Ex. P85D increased to 265miles?

Not sure why Tesla.com used inventory show range for 85 and 90 same.
P85D = 253 miles vs 85D = 265 miles
P90D = 253 miles vs 90D = 265 miles

I have seen many errors on Tesla's used inventory and new inventory pages. I have actually reported two errors recently (related to S100D and SP100D on Canadian New Inventory page) and they corrected it a few weeks later.

Here is what I recommend. Check out the mileage of the car and find out the corresponding battery percentage left here. For example, at 50,000 miles, battery capacity is 95% on average.

Now check out my range table here and multiply the numbers in blue cells by that percentage. For example, SP90D with 19" has 242 mi at 75 mph when new. That means 0.95*242= 230 miles range at 75 mph at 50,000 miles. In comparison, the SP85D with 19" will have 0.95*225= 214 miles at 75 mph at 50,000 miles.

If Model 3 P might be an option too, check out my message here.

Last edited:
Reactions: evalst2018
Interesting mileage numbers that you posted. I’ve had my P90D, new since June 2016, and not had any updates which have effected the range. I started out new with 275 miles of range and at just over 21000 miles, at 100% SOC, I’m right round 270.

For the first few months after P90D was released it was just a “6% range upgrade” option for the P85D. Meaning Tesla considered it the same car and stuck with the 253 mile EPA estimate for P85D. Once the P90D was formally tested, Tesla started advertising it as having 270 miles of range.

Same for the 90D. It was initially just a “6% range upgrade” for the 85D which had a 270 mile EPA rating. After formal testing, Tesla advertised it as 294 mile EPA.

Last edited:
Now check out my range table here and multiply the numbers in blue cells by that percentage. For example, SP90D with 19" has 242 mi at 75 mph when new. That means 0.95*242= 230 miles range at 75 mph at 50,000 miles. In comparison, the SP85D with 19" will have 0.95*225= 214 miles at 75 mph at 50,000 miles.

Question: Are the numbers in this table for "ideal" driving (eg. Highway driving with No Heat or A/C)
I can get close to this for my P90D when on hwy, but my daily commute is much lower.

Question: Are the numbers in this table for "ideal" driving (eg. Highway driving with No Heat or A/C)
Yes.

In another message, I saw that you mentioned 255 mi rated range instead of 270 mi at 100%. That's 94.4% capacity left. If you want to compare this to other Teslas, check out the chart here.

If your battery capacity has never dropped below 10% and over 90% in the last few months, this can cause inaccuracy in displayed range because the car has difficulty calculating how much energy the battery holds. Therefore it's a good idea to go below 10% and over 90% once every two months. However, it's important not to leave the car sitting below 10% or over 90%. Said that, there is a known degradation issue with some 90 kWh packs. As far as I know, older 90 kWh packs have more degradation.

However, if your numbers are close to the numbers in the blue cells here, that means range display inaccuracy is more likely the issue than degradation. However, it's difficult to test in winter because even if you don't use A/C, just the cold alone will reduce battery capacity.

I can get close to this for my P90D when on hwy, but my daily commute is much lower.

The Model S P90D scored 272 mi in EPA highway range test and 249 mi in EPA city range test. This is typical with the Model S. The Model 3 is the other way around. City test scores are higher for Model 3. When calculating the range numbers in the blue cells, I have only used EPA highway scores.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. By reading the replies I got some sense on how the range work and degradation.

Lets say if pack did not degrade (new pack), after all the software updates, 85D range and P85D range is similar now or are they different as P model is not as efficient as non-P? (Or did Tesla made P-cars efficient as non P cars later with software updates and settings like range mode?)