Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs McLaren 650S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't see anyone defending Tesla merely pointing out that it's pretty amazing a sedan this size can even keep up for a few seconds. Don't think anyone expected it to beat a $250,000 sports car.

Guys, ease up on defending the Tesla. We know it's a sexy grocery getter that can seat 7 so it's not going to beat every purpose built 2-seater exotic even in a straight line.
Tesla needs no defending. Every other car out there needs defending from tesla.
As far as I can see, P85D was in front of a 650S for some time. That is something no hypercar should afford.
Mere existence of some distance over which a humble family sedan, a 5 seater with trung and frunk and hatch, is faster is humiliation for that hypercar.
Not to mention that particular version of family sedan was not even the fastest version. And it wont stop with P90DL either.
Hypercars are doomed. Their ICE drive-trains are pimped beyond belief and they are already loosing heavily to 10years of development of EV drive train.

What is next? Imho S will start to shed weight. 10% less weight transforms 2.8 into 2.5.

Did anyone catch that P90DL is as fast as rimac' ConceptOne in 0-60? P90DL just matched electric hypercar.

I can see in 10 years Tesla offering their Performance version with a smaller battery pack just for weight and acceleration purposes. A 100kWh pack that weights 400lbs less than today's 85kWh for example (just making the numbers up) but something in that mold. The McLaren is no doubt an amazing car and the best of the best when it comes to ICE supercars. The comparison with the Tesla was more for fun and to show how far the EV powertrain has come.

Last edited:
Guys, ease up on defending the Tesla
6f20c4cd55638d8d14275d2b705027f9.jpg

Yeah they perform equally until you reach the decreasing radius freeway on ramp where the McLaren continues at 60 mph and corners flat because of the hydraulic active suspension and brake steer technology while the model S needs to slow or slide off the left-hand side of the road because of understeer.

Seriously, there are a number of us on this board who are fortunate to own both the P85D and a 12C or 650S. The attraction is the same: insanely fast cars with breakthrough technology coming from engineering driven companies. They are different beasts and there is a place for each one until the McLaren gets passed by (or delivers) a true electric supercar.

Last edited:
Another reason I love the model S! Some people buy it for the practicality and the environment - Some people buy it as a performance sedan. I am a motorsport enthusiast - F1, Moto GP and now Formula E. I own some fast vehicles but the model S amazes me. I love seeing a $300K 2 seat super car barely beating my family car. Comparisons like this show how good the model S really is - plus it is practical. It is hard to believe I own a practical car.

2WD vs. AWD, not a big surprise off the line. What's amazing is that McLaren is doing this with a single inferior outdated ICE powerplant whereas the Tesla has twice the drive wheels and twice the powerplants. That McLaren is going to be downright scary when it goes all electric (and AWD).

2WD vs. AWD, not a big surprise off the line. What's amazing is that McLaren is doing this with a single inferior outdated ICE powerplant whereas the Tesla has twice the drive wheels and twice the powerplants. That McLaren is going to be downright scary when it goes all electric (and AWD).
Don't you mean:
The Roadster is going to be downright scary when it goes AWD.

that's questionable with the pushbacks on the Model X and Model 3....

Long before McLaren builds an EV AWD supercar, Tesla will build the next generation AWD Roadster that will outperform anything on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

no way, otherwise Tesla wouldn't bother making theses fast AWD cars....

not to mention Elon himself says his own McLaren F1 was his target for 0-60 MPH....

Actually, I think the number is 99.99999999% ...:wink:

that's questionable with the pushbacks on the Model X and Model 3....

- - - Updated - - -

no way, otherwise Tesla wouldn't bother making theses fast AWD cars....

not to mention Elon himself says his own McLaren F1 was his target for 0-60 MPH....

Absolutely right. I wasn't in the market for an EV when I came across the MS. I was shopping Nissan GTR or Porsche 911. The Model S is a fantastic car full of high tech, but if it accelerated like a Prius I would not have had the pleasure of buying one.

That's the amazing thing about the Model S. While very expensive it can serve as a dual purpose car. Your 'fun' car and also the family car. Even among people who can afford the car not many car afford to have a $200+k 2 seater sports car for weekend drives.

As impressive as the P85D is, I fail to see how it is anywhere close to the McLaren. The P85D manages to pull ahead for a tiny moment, then the McLaren pulls ahead and disappears on the horizon. This happens in the P85D's core discipline. No attempt to compare high speed or track performance, where the P85D wouldn't be anywhere close.
What's the point of these strange comparisons? Since when do a luxurious sedan and a supercar define themselves by their 0-30 acceleration times?

I think it is an excellent comparison. A model S is almost as fast as a purpose built supercar in 0-60. That is cool because that is where I use my model S - on the street. I don't get to use it in 100+ mph situations very often.

It shows the value of the model S. It is a great grocery getting family car that can stay with supercars on the street. If I lived in Germany I might pick a different vehicle but for the San Francisco Bay Area - it is tough to beat.

And for Thunder Hill or Laguna Seca - I probably would pick something different (faster) than the 650S but I like the comparisons.