Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D with P90D battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Debatable..some say the 90 battery is the worst battery made by Tesla.
You should look under the right front fenderwell and get a picture of the battery label.
I wouldn't pay extra for 90 vs 85, but doesn't sound like you would be
Only thing that concerns me is the bumper to bumper warranty is no longer in affect and that Tesla will not release the previous owners service history without their permission. All I have is Carfax which states the vehicle was towed to service center due to mechanical issues. Also, I was only able to test drive the vehicle with 35 miles left on charge so I probably didn’t experience the true power.

2 months ago, I bought a 70D with a 75D battery with 72,000 miles. The previous battery needed repair around the 65,000 mile mark. The original owner took it in and got a "loaner" 75D battery that Tesla ended up just letting him keep. I've only had mine for 2 months, but the original 8 year unlimited mileage power train warranty is still good, as it would be with your deal. My "new" battery charges at 93kW and I have zero reasons to worry. I don't think I'd worry about having a new battery given Tesla's warranty.

-Jim

I test drove a P85D today with 74,000 miles. While inside the vehicle the screen showed P90D. The vehicle is listed for $60k. Is this a good deal?

Sounds like a good deal but not a great deal given the lack of warranty and extra mileage. Tesla had a few CPO P85Ds in the late 60s earlier and prices should come down to the late to mid 60s.

Can you negotiate further on the price due to lack of warranty?

I haven’t negotiated the final price but I think I could get them down to $57k. Plus, I have to check with my state to see if I can get the tax credit as second owner. It does have the + suspension and rear seats. Hopefully I can get the service center to re-badge to P90D since that’s the battery they put in it.

Hopefully I can get the service center to re-badge to P90D since that’s the battery they put in it.

They've done this in the past, sometimes without even mentioning it when they replace the battery. It shouldn't be an issue when you bring it up.

If it makes a difference in the purchase, the 90 battery should be able to output a little more horsepower than the original 85 could; it's not quite up to the original 691 claims that they stated for the P85D early on, but it's closer.

They've done this in the past, sometimes without even mentioning it when they replace the battery. It shouldn't be an issue when you bring it up.

If it makes a difference in the purchase, the 90 battery should be able to output a little more horsepower than the original 85 could; it's not quite up to the original 691 claims that they stated for the P85D early on, but it's closer.

A version 1 of the 90 battery puts out the same power as the 85 battery, at least in Ludicrous (1535 amp) mode when new. Eventually, the V1 90 battery degrades as IR increases and the voltage drops at the same current vs when new and puts out less power than the 85 battery.

If this P90D has the V2 or V3 90 battery, then it's 1600 amps (in Ludicrous mode) and puts out WAY more power than the 85 battery.

If it has V2 or V3, jump at that deal. If V1, then it's not a bad deal but nothing like if it has a newer 90 battery.