Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Ludicrous 1/4 mile time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fingers still crossed for a ten.

Same here. But in my heart of hearts, I know that from what we've seen so far, it is unlikely.

Couple that with the fact that it really doesn't count unless it's actually done on a drag strip, and I'm regretfully even more pessimistic.

I hope that the "promise" of 10.9 for this setup, doesn't turn out to be a feat which is not met for Tesla. It would be even more ammunition for those who do not want to see the company do well

yes, within a few 1/100th's of my time on a level road... 1 more MPH though on his run....

Isnt that more or less 1:1 with the results from fiksegts/dragtimes?

are you still at high altitude?

- - - Updated - - -

my 60-130 time in the P90DL was 12.1 seconds...

fiksegts, with your Vbox, what did you get for 60-130mph in the P85D?

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

or 11.34.... rounds both ways..

It should be slightly less. My experience with the Pbox is that it rounds up so 11.3 should be in the 11.2s, and I think the best otherwise was 11.3X

All of my runs were at 6000 feet above sea level, and have been recorded with a Racelogic Performance Box with an external antenna.

My track time has all been on road courses (in cars other than the Tesla), so I have no personal experience regarding an expected variation between street times and drag strip times for the quarter mile. I will say that discernible, albeit mild front tire traction loss is evident upon launch through approximately 30 mph, but it's nothing compared to my previous car which was a Switzer Ultimate Street Edition Nissan GTR that would spin all 4 tires wildly through 70 mph until I invested in an Ecutek system with advanced traction control programming. It's pretty dry and dusty in New Mexico, and I wonder if the car could be faster on roads that were occasionally cleaned by a rare meteorological phenomenon known as rain.

I intend to rent the local drag strip with a handful of my car pals in the next few weeks for a drag race extravaganza! Naturally, video footage and time slips will be promptly forthcoming.

Here is my pal's 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S PDK driven by me on the same stretch of road wherein I recently ran my Tesla.

2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S. PDK. Quarter Mile - YouTube

And here is the 60-130 mph, on the same slightly downhill segment upon which I recently ran my Tesla.

2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S. PDK. 60-130 mph - YouTube

Thanks for the update Burt.

119.1 mph over a quarter mile vs 125.7mph over the same distance.

60-130 in 10.5 seconds vs 60-130 in 8.5 seconds.

Well,......

It doesn't take too much imagination to see that would get ugly, and in a short time.

the 60-130 in any PxxD is quite slow compared to other high performance ICE. Which is why there are so many threads on "passing power" or lack of.. Just watch any of the 1/4 mile races on you tube, the latter half of the race is where an ICE is catching up very quickly and ready to zoom past the tesla but the 1/4 mile ends. If it was a real race with more distance, an ICE would have zoom past the tesla at 130+mph.

the 60-130 in any PxxD is quite slow compared to other high performance ICE. Which is why there are so many threads on "passing power" or lack of.. Just watch any of the 1/4 mile races on you tube, the latter half of the race is where an ICE is catching up very quickly and ready to zoom past the tesla but the 1/4 mile ends. If it was a real race with more distance, an ICE would have zoom past the tesla at 130+mph.

Yes, I agree and see your point.

Ludicrous was, at least in part, apparently intended to address some of the passing capability concerns that some P85D owners had.

How far it goes toward doing that over and above the current P85D is part of what I'm trying to find out through these and other results

Thanks for the update Burt.

119.1 mph over a quarter mile vs 125.7mph over the same distance.

60-130 in 10.5 seconds vs 60-130 in 8.5 seconds.

Well,......

It doesn't take too much imagination to see that would get ugly, and in a short time.

I'll see about getting a side-by-side run to see how quickly it gets ugly. It'll look great in the 0-60 mph! It should still look ok at 0-100 mph. But much past that it's certainly gonna get really ugly really fast!

the 60-130 in any PxxD is quite slow compared to other high performance ICE. Which is why there are so many threads on "passing power" or lack of..

Right, so what those of us who don't really care much about 1/4 mile trap speeds are looking for is the highway passing power. I think quarters get distracting, even if Tesla has us getting the microscopes out, all over again.

Have we put together and compared roll-on times? Again, if the car "takes a dump" past 110mph, many of the P85D upgraders probably won't care. Right now, the proxy is P90D 0-100, at what, 7.5-7.7 seconds, and we're looking for slips/Vbox of P85D 0-100, right? Thanks, guys. I trust P85D won't do any better than P90D, but if P90D is only ~.4 quicker to 100, that might settle it for more who are trying to decide based upon highway improvement.

When placing a critical eye on highway performance, please remember that my P85D will point and squirt into a hole in the lane over long before a supercar will have downshifted and built boost to accelerate.

WRT a "real race", those happen every day from traffic lights around the country. It has been years since I kept my foot in it over 100 mph and that was mostly on bikes. I can not imagine letting something get near, let alone well beyond, 100 mph in a run with my ICE (even though that ICE will pull hard well beyond).

I think this is why a normally critical person like me has had no problem accepting the lack of 100 mph plus acceleration in BeVs and the sub high horsepower ICE acceleration above 60 mph.

I'll see about getting a side-by-side run to see how quickly it gets ugly. It'll look great in the 0-60 mph! It should still look ok at 0-100 mph. But much past that it's certainly gonna get really ugly really fast!

Burt, I forgot to ask, but are you doing the preconditioning or Max Battery thing for these last few videos?

I recall you and Pete chiming in a few days ago, and indicating that it didn't seem to make much difference, and that got me thinking. Why did they put it in there? There has to be a reason or a use for it.

When placing a critical eye on highway performance, please remember that my P85D will point and squirt into a hole in the lane over long before a supercar will have downshifted and built boost to accelerate.

I've driven a 2008 M3 and a 2010 M5. Even the M5's single SMG downshifted in the blink of an eye resulting in instant acceleration that was clearly harder at freeway speed than the P85D. The M3's DCT was even quicker. Both those cars accelerate faster at highway speeds than the P85D does.

Neither of those are super cars.

Honestly, the P85Ds highway acceleration is just not that impressive.

I've driven a 2008 M3 and a 2010 M5. Even the M5's single SMG downshifted in the blink of an eye resulting in instant acceleration that was clearly harder at freeway speed than the P85D. The M3's DCT was even quicker. Both those cars accelerate faster at highway speeds than the P85D does.

Neither of those are super cars.

Honestly, the P85Ds highway acceleration is just not that impressive.

Shifted in the blink of an eye? I'm calling BS. I've driven and owned lots of performance vehicles. Rolling at highway speed and simultaneously punch the accelerator and the Tesla will be gone before the ICE engine even begins to rev, let alone downshift. Going from 3 honks, where the ICE driver gets to time it, that would be different. But the instantaneous torque of the Tesla is unrivaled in any vehicle I've owned or driven. Once they get going, at higher speeds, ICE has the advantage and the Tesla isn't as impressive as it should be. But let's not lose our heads.

Shifted in the blink of an eye? I'm calling BS. I've driven and owned lots of performance vehicles. Rolling at highway speed and simultaneously punch the accelerator and the Tesla will be gone before the ICE engine even begins to rev, let alone downshift. Going from 3 honks, where the ICE driver gets to time it, that would be different. But the instantaneous torque of the Tesla is unrivaled in any vehicle I've owned or driven. Once they get going, at higher speeds, ICE has the advantage and the Tesla isn't as impressive as it should be. But let's not lose our heads.

You can call BS all you like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_time

The E92 is 80 ms. That's 0.08 seconds. It's faster than the blink of an eye.
The E60 is 250 ms. That 0.25 seconds. Slower than the M3 and only in about the blink of an eye.

From my perspective, the M3 had no delay. You press the pedal and in auto mode down shift occurs with no delay at all.