Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Ludicrous 1/4 mile time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it was a high 11.3 which I rounded to an 11.4.
Sixty foot times are in line with the P85D.
Trap speeds are very close to the P85D.

All this speaks to a bit more in the over 30 mph range which is what my butt dyno told me on a recent test drive.

From my limited experience, a ten second (even 10.99) street car is a pure animal. Tesla will have really accomplished something if they end up delivering a car that any normal driver can generate a ten second run in.

All this speaks to a bit more in the over 30 mph range which is what my butt dyno told me on a recent test drive.

From my limited experience, a ten second (even 10.99) street car is a pure animal. Tesla will have really accomplished something if they end up delivering a car that any normal driver can generate a ten second run in.

I'm going to try out a P90D​ later in the week. I'll try to bring my performance box and GPS antenna :p

So, whats the best 1/4 mile we have for a P90D so far? 11.3 is the best I've seen I think?

11.384@ 115.89

But for me, this was interesting.

The the car made 7 passes on the drag strip that day. The best pass was the 11.384. But the average of those 7 passes was in the 11.5xx range because there were a couple of 11.5xx, a couple of 11.6xx, and an 11.4xx in the lot.

Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video - Page 5

I then looked up the top 7 quarter mile times that are on record for the P85D. They average out to 11.6xx.

I dont have have my sheet in front of me, but the difference between those two averages was less than 1 tenth.

Edit: Looked at my sheet. The average of the top 7 quarter mile passes in the P85D reported thus far is 11.634 @115.22.

Avg of the only 7 drag strip passes reported in the P90D with Ludicrous thus far is 11.546 @115.47.

The trap speed avg for the top 7 P85D passes, was helped by two instances of 116mph. One at 116.42 the other at 116.01, and three instances of 115mph, one at 115.78, 115.34, 115.18. The final two were 114.95 and 114.61.

The top 7 reported P85D ETs, for those interested are 11.596, 11.599, 11.601, 11.635, 11.637, 11.683, 11.690.

Last edited:
The play car will leave the PD like a scalded mutt over 100 mph but if they found each other cruising down the interstate at 65 mph and both headed to 100, the PD would kill it as the PD is always game.

Try this 3 times and you probably will not get more than 240 kW out of the PD. When accelerating from 100 mph, having been driving at this speed for a couple of minutes, one gets limited almost immediately. Above 100 mph it is best not to even try to bet against a fast ICE. This is not related to the peak hp issue we have been discussing. It is just a current-state-of-technology handicap of the Model S. It was not designed to excel at those speeds.

Agreed. That would be huge.

I think they've gotten the 0-60 thing figured out, as it seems that they've accomplished the 0-60 in 2.8 seconds goal. And yes, I'm counting rollout of course.

But the top end capability, and the necessity of it in order to reach the 10.9 seconds in the quarter , I don't know that they're quite there yet, but granted, it is early.

The weird thing is that Tesla has not been stupid in the past with their 1/4 mile numbers. Just about anyone can pull up to a strip and BETTER their posted number by correctly stabbing the accelerator on previous cars.

They did not just wake up one morning and decide to become morons (which is what you would be to publish a number that people will immediately go verify as they had done on previous models). I also do not buy that Tesla flipped the dishonesty bit and this latest 1/4 mile number is a bold face lie to sell cars. That number came from somewhere and that somewhere needs to be reproducible in the field. I'm still holding out hope on this one.

I couldn't agree more. I remember when I first got the turbos upgraded on my Supra and it dropped into the 10s and I fell in love with the car in a way I've never gotten over to this day. I really do think to gearheads, under 11 seconds is a kind of major milestone.

The weird thing is that Tesla has not been stupid in the past with their 1/4 mile numbers. Just about anyone can pull up to a strip and BETTER their posted number by correctly stabbing the accelerator on previous cars.

They did not just wake up one morning and decide to become morons (which is what you would be to publish a number that people will immediately go verify as they had done on previous models). I also do not buy that Tesla flipped the dishonesty bit and this latest 1/4 mile number is a bold face lie to sell cars. That number came from somewhere and that somewhere needs to be reproducible in the field. I'm still holding out hope on this one.

Perhaps it's doable with a power supply with a voltage sag of less than 5%?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Indeed, the only thing they need to do is communicate. I'm sure there is something we don't currently know they need to share with us. They have not been very good at communicating performance figures since the introduction of the P85D...

I fully agree and I'm also patiently waiting (Maybe 7.0 will be the ticket).

Elon will get a thumbs-up from me as an "honest man" if I go back to PBIR in January with my P90D and lay a 10.9 on that pesky little McLaren that overcame my 60 ft lead to beat my P85 last January.

I'm hoping that there is something in V7 that will increase the performance.

The Aventador weighs considerably less and runs a 10.9 second 1/4. It's way faster than the Tesla. Even the Aventador's owner says the Tesla seems faster to 50. By 7 seconds the Aventador is going over 100. Again, proving my point that it's really the speeds above 90. And we also know the SOC on the Tesla. We also know the RS7 is stock. Because if it's posted on the Internet, it's true!

The point being that after 3.5 seconds, the Aventador already out accelerating the P85D i.e. after 60 MPH (not using 1 ft rollout from 0-60 of course). But you brought up the Lamborghini example. That's why I posted the rolling start of the P85D against the RS7.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm hoping that there is something in V7 that will increase the performance.

We really need REST data for a full 1/4 mile run. Does it hit 450KW and stay there for most of it(after 48 MPH) or is it only there for a few seconds before it tapers back? If it's the latter, then a software update could allow the battery to output 450KW for longer. If it's the former, then I don't see an update improving anything as it's already at the limit of it's 1500 amp fuse. 1500 amps * 303v = 454.5 KW.

This is assuming that the voltage drop of the new cells with silicon in their anodes is similarcompared to the previous cells. If not, and if it's less, than the current 455KW limit might not really be a limit at all for the P90DL.

Who knows what we'll see on the P85D. Really hope an early upgrader will be able post some REST "power" data.

The point being that after 3.5 seconds, the Aventador already out accelerating the P85D i.e. after 60 MPH (not using 1 ft rollout from 0-60 of course). But you brought up the Lamborghini example. That's why I posted the rolling start of the P85D against the RS7.

- - - Updated - - -

We really need REST data for a full 1/4 mile run. Does it hit 450KW and stay there for most of it(after 48 MPH) or is it only there for a few seconds before it tapers back? If it's the latter, then a software update could allow the battery to output 450KW for longer. If it's the former, then I don't see an update improving anything as it's already at the limit of it's 1500 amp fuse. 1500 amps * 303v = 454.5 KW.

This is assuming that the voltage drop of the new cells with silicon in their anodes is similarcompared to the previous cells. If not, and if it's less, than the current 455KW limit might not really be a limit at all for the P90DL.

Who knows what we'll see on the P85D. Really hope an early upgrader will be able post some REST "power" data.

You brought up the M cars and I showed actual numbers to show that the Tesla beats it in 70-90mph sprints. You conveniently ignored that.

You do realize the similarities between the E90 and E92 right? You really think the e92 is that much faster? I only used the E90 because it had concrete data.

First, you published a number without a reference. Secondly, if it's a published 70-90 MPH spec, then it's a top gear roll-on without downshifting first. There's no way the E90 takes 3.1 seconds to go from 70-90 in the optimal gear.

Thirdly, you quoted a the P85D's 70-90 as 2.5 seconds. You probably got that from here:

0-60/30-50/50-70 comparitive times for 70D/85D/P85D - Page 6

Which also quotes the P85D's 50-70 at 1.65 seconds yet the fastest I've ever seen is 1.9 seconds. My best 70-90 is 3.1 seconds. Both on 90% charge. These are runs passing through these ranges. For example, the 50-70 was done by starting at 40 MPH and punching it all the way through 80 MPH. The 50-70 is the time it took to pass through it. So it's a lot faster than if I started at 50 MPH and then punched it from that point to 90 MPH.

0-60/30-50/50-70 comparitive times for 70D/85D/P85D - Page 10

So at best, at best, the P85D accelerates from 70-90 as fast as the E90 if you leave the E90 in top gear.

Note: my data is collected using a vbox sport sampled at 20Hz and an external roof mounted antenna.