Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to bring back a dead horse, but has anyone seen any evidence of Tesla reducing power on used P90D cars? I'm about to turn my lease in and attempt to buy it back when it is listed as a used car. If they wanted to reduce warranty costs, they would remove ludicrous or reduce power output on all P90Ds that get resold through them. But, hopefully they would indicate that somehow and not just do it silently.... That would be a problem. I would hate to buy back my own car and get it back slower then when I turned it in.

Why not add a clause to the purchase indicating that the current configuration including Ludicrous must remain the same when purchased? Then, if they start stuttering you will know.

He can't put a condition on a lease turn-in. And once it is turned in he no longer owns it. So by the time it is made available to purchase as a CPO, or used, car Tesla could have already nerfed it. So leaving the configuration the same wouldn't be a problem.

He is gambling that he will be able to buy his car back from Tesla cheaper than the residual value of the lease. Tesla could send the car to auction, use it as a loaner, or any number of other things. (Someone may be working with an OA that is looking for that exact configuration and they might get first dibs since they were looking first.)

Reactions: davidc18
He can't put a condition on a lease turn-in. And once it is turned in he no longer owns it. So by the time it is made available to purchase as a CPO, or used, car Tesla could have already nerfed it. So leaving the configuration the same wouldn't be a problem.

He is gambling that he will be able to buy his car back from Tesla cheaper than the residual value of the lease. Tesla could send the car to auction, use it as a loaner, or any number of other things. (Someone may be working with an OA that is looking for that exact configuration and they might get first dibs since they were looking first.)

Yeah, I won't be too upset if I don't get it. I have a P3D on order for $74k - tax credit, which would be nearly as good as the P90D in most ways, and the P90D will cost even best case about $14k more.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Not to bring back a dead horse, but has anyone seen any evidence of Tesla reducing power on used P90D cars? I'm about to turn my lease in and attempt to buy it back when it is listed as a used car. If they wanted to reduce warranty costs, they would remove ludicrous or reduce power output on all P90Ds that get resold through them. But, hopefully they would indicate that somehow and not just do it silently.... That would be a problem. I would hate to buy back my own car and get it back slower then when I turned it in.

As near as I can tell they have not done any reductions.
Been a while since I went to the track though.

Also, performance cars that are running their max current will see some power reduction over time as internal resistance increases as the battery ages. It shouldn't be a lot but it will be there.

It's more complicated for non performance cars because they don't crank out power at maximum battery fuse amps so in theory they could compensate with software as the battery ages to pull more current to make up for voltage drop.

Already started looking at the Porsche 911 Turbo S to replace my S when my lease is up. Should be as fast as the P100D.

As explained Porsche has counter limits too, and if you got a Lamborghini instead, turns out they have counter limits as well — they limit launch mode to just 250. Lamborghini Will Disable Huracan’s Launch Control After Just 250 Uses: Report

No other performance car in the world does such things.

read bhzmark's posts carefully.
The poster is either trying to wind people up or she/he actually believes that what has been done "in software" is an acceptable practice. If that belief is real, my plan is to understand that point of view as best I possibly can as it likely mirrors the same type of thinking going on within the Tesla brain trust.

Any car that can't at least double it's warranteed mileage while retaining most of it's original characteristics I think almost anyone would regard as garbage. i

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy and GWord
I hear the same arguments made in politics today by tribal followers - "but the other side does it......"
Just because it is done does not make it right. Being up front and disclosing how the system is programmed might be a good first step.

The reason this thread and others have gone silent is that most have simply moved on. Tesla is another me too manufacturer that could, and now has, pulled these shenanigans.

Reactions: hiroshiy
The reason this thread and others have gone silent is that most have simply moved on. Tesla is another me too manufacturer that could, and now has, pulled these shenanigans.

The thread went silent because they removed the counters and the power was restored! Tesla has stopped with the shenanigans, at least for now. They have instead replaced any P90D packs that failed from lots of launches.

I confirmed this with my car a while ago...