Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving Style is exactly what you would expect from somebody who chose a Tesla high performance vehicle over a Porsche or Mercedes AMG. Very legal but very spirited as intended by Ludicrous.

Nothing wrong with that, of course. Or at least there didn't used to be...

Tesla has skated by on lots of stuff, but I think this one is going to have ramifications they did not foresee.

Either counter wins the jackpot whichever one gets there first as was explained to me
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with that, of course. Or at least there didn't used to be...

Tesla has skated by on lots of stuff, but I think this one is going to have ramifications they did not foresee.

If all of this is accurate, then it is going to become a public relations nightmare and a huge point will be made of it by competing manufacturers.

Where's bhzmark?

It's looking like staying out of launch mode might not be enough to avoid this.

Other than tech_guy, is there anyone whose power has been limited?

Mine hasn't. I won't ever use Launch Mode again. It was never worth the finnicky hassle anyway.

Problem solved for me. .....

It might not be.

Last edited:
Just driving the car contributes to the mixture number which will hit a limit at some point during the lifetime of the vehicle. Launch mode, max power, and hard acceleration just move the needle faster.

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

If all of this is accurate, then it is going to become a public relations nightmare and a huge point will be made of it by competing manufacturers.

Where's bhzmark?

It's looking like staying out of launch mode might not be enough to avoid this.[/QUOTE]

• Helpful
Reactions: Tech_Guy
Not sure on the 90s, but at the time of the Ludicrous upgrade announcement, I believe the numbers given were that P85Ds would move from 1300 Amps to 1500 Amps with the L upgrade. I'm not sure what we've seen in real life.

Thanks Andy.

Just driving the car contributes to the mixture number which will hit a limit at some point during the lifetime of the vehicle. Launch mode, max power, and hard acceleration just move the needle faster.

How much of a power cut is forthcoming when the thresholds are reached?

Or did they provide you with this information?

Reading this again:

Service advisor just gave me credible info.

3 counters

One for Launches/WOT over 1500 amps. (I have 92 and have never used launch mode)

This would appear to be "launch mode", or a non launch mode launch in a car capable of "over" 1500 amps without launch mode and/or max battery.

If Andy is correct, then it's impossible to launch at over 1500 amps in a P85DL. How about a V1 P90DL?

http://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-s-just-got-upgraded-to-ludicrous-speed-1718577723

If I'm following right, the first P90Ds were at 1500 amps.

Also if memory serves me, the P85DL retrofitted cars were measuring a very few amps lower than 1500. I recall someone listing a measurement of 1497 or thereabouts awhile back when the first P85D ludicrous upgrades were being done.

And finally, what is the max amperage for the V3 P90DL?

If it's over 1500 Amps, then this particular counter would apply to it,.... and go back to my theory that it was in the crosshairs. But this "could" include the P100D too. However someone has already mentioned different wire bonds in the P100D battery.

But it seems from the info AnonNJ has given us, that this particular counter, this first counter, would only apply to cars capable of launches "over" 1500 amps.

I'm not up on this stuff, so I have to ask here. Does the V3 battery of the P90DL, which makes 510kw, have the same bonds as P85DL, and V1 P90DL batteries which make 450 ish kw?

One for rolling mashes that are hard but under 1500 amps (mine is 134)

Rolling mashes under 1500 amps could involve passing maneuvers.

How hard and how much of a mash, what percentage of pedal position for this second counter, is anyone's guess at this point.

One for "mixture" (mine is 311.6)

So so far, it's looking like as long as you stay below 1500 amps on your launches you won't trigger the first counter.

They are protecting wire bonds.

625 is hard cut for Launches.

Now, is this 625 "Launches" no matter the amperage, .....or is it 625 "launches over 1500 amps"?

Rolling mashes counts towards mixture. Cut is 3068 for Mixture limit.

So if you never launched at "over" 1500 amps, that's IF it takes a 1500+ amp launch to trigger the first counter, you could mash the pedal from a roll, 3,068 times before your power was cut?

Last edited:
I further inquired face-to-face with my service manager. Effectively any further inquiry has been shut down and I am unable to obtain any additional information. I was guided that this should be a warranty issue. If a battery pack was producing 500 kilowatts and now is producing 400 kilowatts then the p90d with Ludicrous not performing to specification therefore it would need remedy under warranty.

The information was good while it lasted.

There is absolutely no reason why every person on this forum cannot contact their service manager and request their three counter stats at any moment.

Last edited:
Well, I guess it will be interesting to hear back from my service advisor on my car. It would confirm how far this might extend, since I am the polar opposite in the P car range from the P90s. If my car is affected, then we can assume all Ps are.

Reactions: smac
In contemplating this whole deal if the lowered output is a warranty issue then the non-performing P85 and P 90 upgrades should also be eligible for remedy to bring them up to specification. I think the best approach is those with power loss need to be extremely vocal and well-documented.

I don't see how the counter protects the wire bonds, I don't expect them to fail from fatigue. However, disabling power output permanently for an owner is going to reduce the statistical failure rate as far as warranty is concerned. So you let the car test at a certain spec, and then reduce performance for a driver that wants to use what he/she paid for.

Considering plan B. Cut losses and sell the car before too many people notice.
Yeap, I've already asked for my trade in value. I plan to get an S60 rwd and never look back again to a Tesla Performance car.
I would sell privately and exit from Tesla world completely but first year's depreciation is huge. Since P90D is already superseded by P100D and equipped with AP1, nobody wants to buy this car at the moment. At least not for the money I'd like. And this fiasco is the final nail in the coffin of my 6 months old baby.

Yeap, I've already asked for my trade in value. I plan to get an S60 rwd and never look back again to a Tesla Performance car.
I would sell privately and exit from Tesla world completely but first year's depreciation is huge. Since P90D is already superseded by P100D and equipped with AP1, nobody wants to buy this car. At least not for the money I'd like.

The tax situation makes it complicated as well. Anyone know how to deal with federal/state tax credits if you do or don't trade to another electric car?

The tax situation makes it complicated as well. Anyone know how to deal with federal/state tax credits if you do or don't trade to another electric car?
Sorry, I dunno. I'm from the UK. It's much simpler here. Every EV gets £4500 grant from list price.(%35 of the list price, maximum 4500). This grant is chased by Tesla, and OTR price is already discounted.

I would sell privately and exit from Tesla world completely but first year's depreciation is huge. Since P90D is already superseded by P100D and equipped with AP1, nobody wants to buy this car at the moment. At least not for the money I'd like. And this fiasco is the final nail in the coffin of my 6 months old baby.

PM Me if you'd consider a swap + cash. (60 RWD classic 18.5k on the clock.)