Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh That was fast, Fred has already posted a new article. Thanks. Tesla listens to customers and walks back all software performance reductions tied to frequent use of max power

That looks like solved everything for now, but I think Tesla should be more open about this problem.
Under warranty repairs are good, but what will happen after 4 years or 8 years warranty. Are all risky parts covered under 8 year warranty? After 8 years, what kind of repair bill is waiting for the owner? After 8 years, can owner voluntarily ask Tesla to reduce the power in order not to face huge repair bills?
8 years would have to be the coverage unless the customer agreed to the Ludicrous+ disclaimer. I think if you are planning on keeping it longer you might want to start with a lighter touch or with Sport mode. ;)

Reactions: smac
Jon you made my day. I immediately phoned my friends that my faith in Tesla was restored and I will not have my power cut in the future. I can again boast of the virtues of all electric and especially the performance.

And Jon if you are reading this please make the upgrade for my P85DL to a P100DL possible. I would be willing to pay the $20,000 for the new battery. Remember that Elon stated in announcing the P90DL that he advised owners of the P85D to wait for a larger benefit in battery size rather than upgrading then. But currently no upgrade is possible for P85DL.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon

Thank you! Tesla's responsiveness is second to none ;)

Reactions: hostman
Thx to Tesla for making the right decision.

The engineering defect is still present in the cars though. I'm going to guess techguy with his restored power will soon find what goes wrong with the pack if his driving style remains the same.

If AnonNJ is right then his babied car (never launched) is still likely to hit the threshold at 30,000-40,000 miles. My guess is all P90DL batteries are going to need to be replaced at some point given the typical life of the cars.

Resale for P85D/P90D will likely still take a hit. Need to factor in a battery swap at some point.

Would be nice to know when approaching the already disclosed threshold values. Probably a good time to offload the car.

The engineering defect is still present in the cars though. I'm going to guess techguy with his restored power will soon find what goes wrong with the pack if his driving style remains the same.

I think that is an over-simplification, and also doesn't take into account what @JonMc said about being proactive in attempting to prevent problems.

The counters did not represent the point at which massive failure occurs 100% of the time. The counters were in place to allow Tesla to reduce the power, and thus, hopefully, prevent massive failure entirely.

I am optimistic about this resolution, and believe Tesla will be able to proactively monitor and replace / repair parts as necessary.

Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon

I'm glad that this decision was made Jon.

And Jon if you are reading this please make the upgrade for my P85DL to a P100DL possible. I would be willing to pay the $20,000 for the new battery. Remember that Elon stated in announcing the P90DL that he advised owners of the P85D to wait for a larger benefit in battery size rather than upgrading then. But currently no upgrade is possible for P85DL.
I'll second that. Plus the pack upgrade would fix the problem, reducing Tesla's warranty liability and making the owner happier in one fell swoop. ;)

Reactions: AWDtsla

If you can afford that, why not just upgrade your whole car to P100DL and help the world train up AP2?

• Funny