Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service Manager placed my VIN into his laptop and pulled results. My car was in the parking lot being dropped off.
That's interesting. Did the SC indicate it was realtime data or perhaps data they had stored from previous visits?

Also, this is a general question, but how does service access the diagnostic interface now? Previously they entered a code on the console screen, but I'm pretty sure this has changed (could they access it wirelessly if connected to the same local network?)

This is one of the questions I pushed back to Tesla last week.
Does a battery replacement reset everything so there are no limits or are there still other restrictions that will carry over and still be in place with a battery swap?
For me - this is THE issue. If Tesla tells me that replacing the battery will reset the counters, and remove the power reduction? AND, if normal spirited driving allows me to drive the car until I need a new battery, without hitting the power reduction? Let's say to be fair, the car at least makes 6 years of spirited driving? That would be a similar enough penalty to ICE wear and tear... that I would be OK with the implementation. Tesla reduces risk to the drive train, and still allows the owner to enjoy the car "within reason" ( which is totally subjective - for me 6 years minimum ). Until a new battery is required to reset the counters.. rinse and repeat.

This is one of the questions I pushed back to Tesla last week.
Does a battery replacement reset everything so there are no limits or are there still other restrictions that will carry over and still be in place with a battery swap?

Can you disclose an estimate of the number of Launch Mode events that your car has engaged in? That would be a really useful bit of data to share.
Thanks in advance.

• Helpful
Reactions: Walta
For me - this is THE issue. If Tesla tells me that replacing the battery will reset the counters, and remove the power reduction? AND, if normal spirited driving allows me to drive the car until I need a new battery, without hitting the power reduction? Let's say to be fair, the car at least makes 6 years of spirited driving? That would be a similar enough penalty to ICE wear and tear... that I would be OK with the implementation. Tesla reduces risk to the drive train, and still allows the owner to enjoy the car "within reason" ( which is totally subjective - for me 6 years minimum ). Until a new battery is required to reset the counters.. rinse and repeat.

As I've said many times: if maintenance is needed, then Tesla needs to instate a maintenance regime. Maintaining performance is certainly one of the reasons for maintenance regimes.

If battery swap is what is needed, tell us how often (i.e. what the counters are and how they increment) and provide this information to buyers beforehand.

The worst thing about the current implementation is the alleged permanence and happening in silence - no fix stated and no knowledge of how to maintain this feature of the car or how long, that is the biggest problem.

All cars have parts that wear and tear. Let us know, implement a maintenance regime. And disclose before purchase. Don't maintain an illusion of a mostly maintenance-free car if that is not the case...

I'll trust that driving in valet mode won't increase the counters.

If based on throttle position sensor % it will be worse :p

These two short posts demonstrate a huge part of the problem with this whole issue: we need more information from Tesla, and we are unlikely to get it.

Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon

no word back from tesla yet on the counters. The car is going in for service on the 24th and i will ask during the drop off about the counters.

Keep us posted. The response I got from NA Support is that "there is no counter"...so I then reached out to my SC and when I asked wether my car was on the VIN list, their answer is that they don't have data available. Ahem.

I am going in on the 23rd for something else and am planning on bringing a screenshot of the service invoice posted on this thread showing that a specific car was checked against a VIN list at the owner's request.

Reactions: davidc18
Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon

Thank you.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Hi everyone,

--Jon

Thanks for listening and taking your customers' concerns into account. I'm sure it's not an easy task to get policy changed.

Too bad you weren't around here during the P85D 691 HP issue times. Of course, it's never too late... :)

Thank you.
What he said. This had all the earmarks of blowing up to something quite bad for Tesla. The pain may be just drawn out if the L cars exhibit a lot of early failure. Will Tesla offer a new upgraded pack at reduced cost or an offer to purchase a new car with a generous trade in? Only time will tell. They may have dodged a very costly PR mistake just in time and right before the model 3 roll out. As for me I will continue to step on the accelerator when taking on the Ferraris and Lambos in my car club and singing the praises of Tesla. I just don't do it with the wife in the car as she yells and punches my arm.

Hi everyone,

--Jon

Jon,

Thank you!

Bill

• Love
Reactions: GSP and Tech_Guy