Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint advice please - bare spots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry another "paint" post but hopefully a pragmatic one. We picked up a black M3 P from Stockport a week ago. We were rushed out in 15 minutes which was disappointing so didn't have chance to check anything in detail at all.

Overall the car is excellent and we love it. However, now we've had chance to clean and inspect it properly, we see thin paint on the door jambs (where they attach to the front part of the car) - I think jambs is the correct term, but not sure. Also at the base of the boot hinges. In both cases we see what looks like a sandy coloured primer or similar. This is not extensive but top coat is definitely missing in places. We've seen other poor souls with top coat missing externally and visible - not great! Our is not like that fortunately.

The rest of the car is fine other than some greasy finger marks inside which we can sort ourselves.

None of the "thin"/missing top coat is visible and I'm guessing the primer we see is sufficient to prevent rust? I also see other threads with similar comments and some suggestions that this is "normal" and not just a Tesla issue.

Is it really normal and should we stop worrying? If it's not then we'll have to get Tesla to fix it. If it is "normal" and not potentially a problem down the track, then we'll forget about it and move on. Just need a definitive answer really!

Cheers
Spon

Yes, the primer is enough to prevent rust (and pitting, on aluminium). That's its primary function (together with making ther base coat adhere well to the panel). Even "naked" steel panels are galvanised these days which provides some rust protection, though that is not enough to protect from rust in some environmental conditions that beat up the exterior (in particular, when salt and aggressive particulate matter suspended in the air are involved).

Whether it's acceptable for the base coat to be missing is another matter, of course.

My Kona had this too, under the bonnet and under the hatchback lid. It was no concern to me.

The Kona did however also have numerous small paint defects when I picked it up. It spent a week in the body shop having it all corrected at Hyundai’s expense.

As said above, a large part of the car is aluminium, so rust isn't really going to be an issue, but I did hear of some else who pointed this out on his and Tesla did say they would rectify it to them.

Seen numerous examples of this on youtube, generally in the areas you highlighted and also mostly reported on black cars as far as I have seen e.g.

you might be able to compare yours, I'd be worried about long term risk of surface rust when the roads get salted. Give Tesla a shout and see what they say. Good luck :)

• Informative
Reactions: anon37485
Hi folks and thanks for the fast responses. Our issues are very minor compared to those poor Finnish chaps and I suspect would probably be OK. However, I think we'll register it with Tesla just in case there is an issue down the track. If they knock back a repair, then at least we have a reference point. Bit pants that these types of issues take the shine off what is otherwise an exceptional vehicle!

Reactions: Roy W.
Bit pants that these types of issues take the shine off what is otherwise an exceptional vehicle!
Tell me about it. I’ve had nothing but issue after issue with the Kona in the 11 months I’ve had it.

It’s been back to the dealer a total of 16 times, totalling 28 days.

I’m hoping for a better experience with my Tesla.

Even "naked" steel panels are galvanised these days which provides some rust protection
Whether it's acceptable for the base coat to be missing is another matter, of course.

Have you seen any evidence that Tesla use galvanised steel? I've looked but never found evidence.
A quick outing with a magnet reveals that doors and frunk lid are aluminium, but other exterior panels are only mild steel, which will rust.
I'd love to be proved wrong.

Electrek have some nice diagrams - Tesla Model 3: here's the alloy mix of the Model 3 body - Electrek

That
Have you seen any evidence that Tesla use galvanised steel? I've looked but never found evidence.
A quick outing with a magnet reveals that doors and frunk lid are aluminium, but other exterior panels are only mild steel, which will rust.
I'd love to be proved wrong.

Electrek have some nice diagrams - Tesla Model 3: here's the alloy mix of the Model 3 body - Electrek
Ah, very useful, thanks. The "thin" coverage (albeit primed) on ours is on mild steel areas so not ideal. I'll drop Tesla a line if I can find out which address to use! It's not too bad at all but I'd rather get a formal response from them just in case.

Reactions: ElectricJoules
We see thin paint on the door jambs (where they attach to the front part of the car) - I think jambs is the correct term, but not sure. Also at the base of the boot hinges. In both cases we see what looks like a sandy coloured primer or similar. This is not extensive but top coat is definitely missing in places. We've seen other poor souls with top coat missing externally and visible - not great! Our is not like that fortunately.

Spon

I asked our delivery guy at Dartford about that missing paint. He told me they are all like that, and that Tesla will not do anything about it.

Here is a picture of mine -
Lack of paint.png

Maybe if Tesla will do nothing it is worth having a think about some Waxoyl or Dinitrol treatment in certain areas.

I asked our delivery guy at Dartford about that missing paint. He told me they are all like that, and that Tesla will not do anything about it.

Here is a picture of mine -
View attachment 445140

Maybe if Tesla will do nothing it is worth having a think about some Waxoyl or Dinitrol treatment in certain areas.
Yes, that's the one. Ours isn't as sparse as that but that's the main position. Also a little bare at the base of the boot hinges. Was he adamant that it's OK? It's not sealed from the outside as such so could be subject to weathering over time maybe?

As a former Landrover owner, I hope that Tesla do a better job of isolating the steel from the aluminium than LR did. And whilst aluminium does not rust, it does corrode.
My thoughts exactly! Dissimilar metal corrosion can be a major problem if the joints are not well protected and isolated. Well known in the aircraft industry. Looking at the Electrek diagrams there seem to be lots of opportunity for this. FWIW 'high strength' steel is more corrosion resistant than mild steel.

Yes, that's the one. Ours isn't as sparse as that but that's the main position. Also a little bare at the base of the boot hinges. Was he adamant that it's OK? It's not sealed from the outside as such so could be subject to weathering over time maybe?

No,no,no. He said Tesla would not do anything about it. Nobody said it was OK. Tesla is a young cutting edge company, you can not expect the quality and precision of the German auto makers. What you get is awesome technology in a medium quality package. I'm not worried, the main metal protection is present, and I'll probably spray some Waxoyl or similar around the dodgy areas. In a couple of years I'll clean it of, check and reapply.

Yes, the primer is enough to prevent rust (and pitting, on aluminium). That's its primary function (together with making ther base coat adhere well to the panel). Even "naked" steel panels are galvanised these days which provides some rust protection, though that is not enough to protect from rust in some environmental conditions that beat up the exterior (in particular, when salt and aggressive particulate matter suspended in the air are involved).

It is hightly likely the aluminium panels will have had a surface conversion coating (non chromate alochrom equivalent) applied as this is needed for a paint key.
Salt spray tests on aly with this surface treatment shows it is inferior to anodised or painted surfaces.
I believe Aluminium surfaces require a sealed coating (paint) to prevent corrosion.
Cheers S.

No,no,no. He said Tesla would not do anything about it. Nobody said it was OK. Tesla is a young cutting edge company, you can not expect the quality and precision of the German auto makers. What you get is awesome technology in a medium quality package. I'm not worried, the main metal protection is present, and I'll probably spray some Waxoyl or similar around the dodgy areas. In a couple of years I'll clean it of, check and reapply.
Ah Ok, I'll likely do similar or as a minimum keep a close eye on it.

Correct (and I have to touch up some small scratches from when someone broke my side window, or they might be susceptible to pitting). But the primer is the primary sealant, not the base coat.

Primer is usually porous so it makes a key to the topcoat.
Historically you had a limited time to apply paint over primer as the steel surfaces underneath would rust. I have seen quite a few cars rusting through the primer as dudes drove their cars while waiting the get the topcoat done.
Cheers S.

Seen numerous examples of this on youtube, generally in the areas you highlighted and also mostly reported on black cars as far as I have seen e.g.

you might be able to compare yours, I'd be worried about long term risk of surface rust when the roads get salted. Give Tesla a shout and see what they say. Good luck :)
I genuinely don’t understand how a car can leave the factory with paintwork this bad. Does Tesla have any quality checks built into the production process at all?