Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint color discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you also drive the version fixed in second gear? I'd be very interested in your descriptions of the difference in off the line acceleration between the two versions. I know once you've gathered a bit of speed, both versions are fantastic. Thanks

I did drive VP10 locked in 2nd gear last September on Skyline Blvd. It's difficult to compare the two cars since the circumstances were so different. The Skyline drive was my first time at the wheel of the Roadster and with Zak in the passenger seat I didn't push it too hard; I didn't want to be the first to crash a Tesla. Most of the drive was at 50-60mph with the occasional run up to 90ish in the straight sections.

With VP13 I was more aggressive. With more time to get comfortable with the car and with no particular route to follow, I was able to include a variety of driving situations, including a number of 0-60 sprints and passing (WOW). All I can say is the accelerations is immediate and relentless. The regen seemed close to what i remember from VP10, just about right for spirited driving through the twisties.

Looks like someone else liked Martins stripes.
2764073703_19c7783b8c.jpg

2761472091_d6769ab2f3.jpg

Copycat.

I saw this: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/11642-post33.html

and it jogged my brain.

Apparently Tesla's Signature Green is Lotus's Empire Green.

(This picture is Tesla's Racing Green)

I don't doubt that there are similar colors, but I'm pretty sure they specially mixed Signature Green. Otherwise, what's the point.

Here's a demonstration how Signature Green can look purple depending on the angle of the light.

2790253901_15bf502589.jpg2790253785_e090a54bde.jpg

Also don't forget the Dodge Viper.

dodge-viper-srt10-coupe.jpg

In the UK at least, these have become referred to as Viper stripes on any car (even though the GT did it way before).

Hmmm.. those "Viper Stripes" were Chrysler's rendition of what were know by Shelby enthusiasts in the 60's as "Le Mans Stripes" after the Ford GT cars raced by Shelby American. I had them in white on my 67 Candy Apple Red GT-350.

I think they look nice on a Ford GT, Viper, Lotus or Tesla, no matter what you choose to call them!:smile:

I absolutely don't get some of the bland colors that are offerred. What's even worse, is on car dealer lots those bland colored cars. I happened on Platinum Motors in Hollwood (on Melrose Ave) the other day, & look what I found:

Platinum Motors/Hollywood - a set on Flickr

2796585748_14bdeb71ae_o.jpg

If I were a Roadster buyer, it would a no-brainer split-second decision:

candy apple red

Or, lemon-yellow or neon-orange.

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely don't get some of the bland colors that are offerred.
If I were a Roadster buyer, it would a no-brainer split-second decision:

candy apple red

Or, lemon-yellow or neon-orange.
Err.. not to state the obvious, but umm... I think they have the yellow and orange covered. Also, though no car has been made with it yet, I think Fusion Red is pretty close to Ferrari red. Additionally, owners can request pretty much any color they want.

2794209731_934fb7aa20.jpg2637735895_4851fbaece.jpg

Last edited:
Compared to the nasty, gross color palettes a bunch of the mfrs. have gone to (Sea Foam Green? Really? You dropped Forest Green for Sea Foam Green? I'm an S=100% kind of guy... H and B are negotiable...) I think Tesla has done really well, and like Doug said, I think they've got "lemon" yellow and "neon" orange covered. The Very Orange, BTW, looks a lot better in person than in pictures (not enough to change my mind). I haven't seen Fusion Red in person yet, and I know that the colors as they're shown on the owner's site are way off.

It was a long time ago, but I remember Tesla noting that only the Signature 100 got egg kits, the rest of us would get a not-quite-as-fancy color kit, so Dave's picture isn't a surprise.

Interesting email I just received from Tesla:

Graham,

Many of you have asked if the paint samples in the Tesla color selection kit are exact matches with the cars that we have received with these colors. The short answer is no.

Color matching does involve science but at the end of the day there is an art factor involved as well. This is why a body shop will need to match paint with an actual car and then blend the color into the rest of the car when painting a small section, or even an entire panel. Factors such as the mixing process, environmental conditions, and paint spray machinery will all contribute to the final product.

For these reasons please recognize that while the colors in your color selection kit are representative of the colors being painted on cars, there will be slight variances between the colors in the kit and the colors on cars.

Regards,

Customer Relations
Tesla Motors

I wonder what prompted them to send this at this time?