Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Correction and Ceramic Coating for 2-3 Yr Old Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CHGolferJim

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2014
Chapel Hill NC
Any folks had this done that are willing to describe their experiences? My Pearl White is still looking good after 38k miles, but I have been mulling this over since purchase, and plan to keep this car for a long time. Would such a treatment cover a small paint chip on the hood? Any vendors used in the NC Triangle? Thank you.

Hi Jim,

Paint correction in traditional terms will not correct rock chips. If you only have a few, someone may be able to fix each individually to a satisfactory state, but if you have pitting(think: road rash from tiny impacts), a repaint would be the right move if you want something done properly.

Rock chips and/or pitting will not stop you from having the paint made glossy through paint correction or a coating. It would be more a matter of if those items happen to bother you and you want them fixed or not. But without paint protection film, the impact damage will return in fairly short order.

I am unsure exactly what the NC Triangle entails but give David at Auto Detailing | Auto Paint Protection | Ceramic Coatings | Charlotte, NC a call. I know him personally and he will definitely hit the mark for you.

Paint Correction, aka polishing will not fix stone chips. Older vehicles get coated every day without problems.

If you have any deep scratches, know it’s best not to remove them completely. A vehicle only has on average 100-120 microns of Primer, Paint and clearcoat. The clearcoat is roughly 1/2 of the total. If you have a scratch that’s 40 microns deep, if the detailer removes it completely, they are also removing that much clearcoat in the area around it.

Getting your Tesla coated is a wise move, it will make it easier to maintain, and keep it looking great for years.

• Informative
Reactions: Mickie
I agree, get it coated. The pearl really looks great with it and it cleans up so much easier. I have to say I enjoy the windshield coating and wheel coating more than the paint coating. I makes wheel clean up so much easier. And yo can drive in the rain without using the windshield wipers.

I agree, get it coated. The pearl really looks great with it and it cleans up so much easier. I have to say I enjoy the windshield coating and wheel coating more than the paint coating. I makes wheel clean up so much easier. And yo can drive in the rain without using the windshield wipers.
Can you even notice it on the white? Which ceramic did you use?

Also note that you will not get as dramatic effect from these treatments on a Pearl White finish as others do on their dark finishes. It just isn't as noticeable, paint protection aside.

That's why I haven't done it yet. I prefer white cars, but the multiple coats sealed the deal when ordering. I haven't looked over every square inch under perfect lighting conditions, but with the naked casual eye I can't see any scratches or swirls anywhere, just the one teeny rock chip. The idea of coating the wheels so they can be easily cleaned of brake dust is quite appealing.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
Hi Jim,

Paint correction in traditional terms will not correct rock chips. If you only have a few, someone may be able to fix each individually to a satisfactory state, but if you have pitting(think: road rash from tiny impacts), a repaint would be the right move if you want something done properly.

Rock chips and/or pitting will not stop you from having the paint made glossy through paint correction or a coating. It would be more a matter of if those items happen to bother you and you want them fixed or not. But without paint protection film, the impact damage will return in fairly short order.

I am unsure exactly what the NC Triangle entails but give David at Auto Detailing | Auto Paint Protection | Ceramic Coatings | Charlotte, NC a call. I know him personally and he will definitely hit the mark for you.

Impressive website for David, thanks. "Triangle" is Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill.

That's why I haven't done it yet. I prefer white cars, but the multiple coats sealed the deal when ordering. I haven't looked over every square inch under perfect lighting conditions, but with the naked casual eye I can't see any scratches or swirls anywhere, just the one teeny rock chip. The idea of coating the wheels so they can be easily cleaned of brake dust is quite appealing.
Oh, there are lots of reasons for coatings! I was just saying that the miracle of paint correction and coating WRT appearance is not as pronounced on a light car. Google "paint correction before after " and look for images. 99% are dark cars, and the pictures that are there of light cars are more "yeah if the light is just right I see a difference if I know to look for it" than the "WOW" that you see on a dark car.

I have a self-applied coating and that works for me. Being able to clean off bugs from the front with a spray bottle of water at Superchargers is wonderful. I have not washed my car with anything but water since application. I'm sure the professional process makes the finish smooth to make it even more easily cleaned.

Oh, there are lots of reasons for coatings! I was just saying that the miracle of paint correction and coating WRT appearance is not as pronounced on a light car. Google "paint correction before after " and look for images. 99% are dark cars, and the pictures that are there of light cars are more "yeah if the light is just right I see a difference if I know to look for it" than the "WOW" that you see on a dark car.

I have a self-applied coating and that works for me. Being able to clean off bugs from the front with a spray bottle of water at Superchargers is wonderful. I have not washed my car with anything but water since application. I'm sure the professional process makes the finish smooth to make it even more easily cleaned.

Thank you, Bert. What's the self-applied product you used? I've long had the thought of using one on the wheels and windshield as a quick way to start.