Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint flaking off underside of spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks: The paint is flaking badly on the underside of the spoiler on my 2017 X. This part is referred to as the "SPOILER LOWER WING PAINTED" part number 1048429-99-C in the Tesla parts catalog. There is no way to repair it without taking it off the car. Has anyone removed the upper wing of the spoiler (normally painted the same color as the car) without damaging it so that it can be reused. I understand that it is secured with 2 sided tape. Then is it a straight forward matter of unscrewing the four screws that secure the lower wing of the spoiler (part 3)? Here is picture from the Tesla parts catalog. Must be some wiring connections to deal with for the third brake light.

1633035723477.png

All responses appreciated.
Bob

Folks: The paint is flaking badly on the underside of the spoiler on my 2017 X. This part is referred to as the "SPOILER LOWER WING PAINTED" part number 1048429-99-C in the Tesla parts catalog. There is no way to repair it without taking it off the car. Has anyone removed the upper wing of the spoiler (normally painted the same color as the car) without damaging it so that it can be reused. I understand that it is secured with 2 sided tape. Then is it a straight forward matter of unscrewing the four screws that secure the lower wing of the spoiler (part 3)? Here is picture from the Tesla parts catalog. Must be some wiring connections to deal with for the third brake light.

View attachment 716406
All responses appreciated.
Bob
Tesla will repair this under corrosion warranty. I’m having mine done right now. They have my new spoiler on order and when it comes in they will paint it and then I bring my vehicle in for 1/2 a day for them to switch it.

Tesla will repair this under corrosion warranty. I’m having mine done right now. They have my new spoiler on order and when it comes in they will paint it and then I bring my vehicle in for 1/2 a day for them to switch it.
Hi may i ask which service center location is doing yours?
I would like to take mine to one that is experienced at doing this procedure.
Thanks

My 2017 fixed spoiler shows serious corrosion on the underside too. I'm not aware of a corrosion warranty. What age is your car, @Jillmark99 and how many years of corrosion warranty does a Model X have? Thanks for your help.

I was able to make an appointment, which they pushed back another week for parts to come in.
So far i have not received any estimate of charges, hoping it is covered. Mine is a 2016 so the comprehensive warranty was over a while ago.
Also hoping not to lose the active spoiler functionality after any repair.