Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Issues during delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was supposed to take delivery on Monday, but they called to let me know that it had been damaged in transit. It looked as though a rock had bounced up and scratched the bumper, headlight, and dented the hood. They spent a day remediating the issues and I took delivery yesterday. I looked over that bumper with a fine tooth comb and absolutely cannot tell where the repairs were done. It was disappointing to hear that delivery was going to be delayed, but I am thankful that they caught and remediated the issues before trying to deliver it to me.

Took delivery of a SR+(white ext, black int, 19" wheels) on 03/23/2019. There were a few scratches on the bumper. Someone has tried to fix the scratches, however they used a different shade of white, which stood out from the car color. Also, the patch work left a bead of paint. We considering rejecting delivery, however since the scratches were minor, we decided to take delivery. I have scheduled a service appointment to get the scratches fixed.

Overall the car is great, which I feel makes up for the pre-sales hassles.

Had a small nick of paint on the passenger door. I could have easily repaired with touch up paint and wouldn’t have been butt hurt about. When I asked for a thing of paint, the delivery guy straight up said, “oh no we’ll fix that for you” and gave me a list of their body shops to goto for a free repair.

There are swirl marks from I assume their 18 year old delivery detail guy...I’ll just polish them out at a later date. I don’t understand why people are so crazy about a perfect car. Drive it and enjoy it. I read a thread where some dude was measuring panel gaps at delivery with a freakin’ tape measure...wtf people. I’ll never understand.

There are swirl marks from I assume their 18 year old delivery detail guy...I’ll just polish them out at a later date. I don’t understand why people are so crazy about a perfect car. Drive it and enjoy it. I read a thread where some dude was measuring panel gaps at delivery with a freakin’ tape measure...wtf people. I’ll never understand.

If I'm buying a used car, sure... whatever. But if I'm buying brand new and it costs significantly more than I'd usually spend, IMHO the paint should be perfect or at least pretty damn good.

Reactions: ricohman
People that bought the car loaded for 80K I would expect to be a little more particular than the guy spending 35k. Even though the 35k car should still be pretty much flawless like plenty of their competitors are. I don't know how Tesla can afford all of the 3rd party body work they pay out for when they could just refine their processes a bit.

People that bought the car loaded for 80K I would expect to be a little more particular than the guy spending 35k. Even though the 35k car should still be pretty much flawless like plenty of their competitors are. I don't know how Tesla can afford all of the 3rd party body work they pay out for when they could just refine their processes a bit.

Tesla paid the approved body shop over $3500 to fix all the paint defects on my car (P3D)...plus the 2 week loaner of a Tesla Model S 100D.

Reactions: dtowntez
Between the body work and additional damages caused to my car by service and the 3rd party body shop, I am positive mine was >10k in parts and labor... Not to mention the 'free' software they had to give me for me to keep the car. Mine is an abnormal case, but still they can't have this stuff going on and stay a float.

Last edited: