Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection on New Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
would be interested in hearing from any forum members who have had a clear bra or paint protection film applied to their expensive new autos - any suggestions? drawbacks? preferred products? I'm thinking that some form of paint protection on the front of the Model S would be desirable....and I know there's products from 3M, Xpel, etc....

XPEL Technologies Corp.: XPEL Clear Bra Paint Protection Products
3M United States: Scotchgard Automotive Protection: Auto Dealerships: Products: Paint Protection Film

Thanks in advance....

I had 3M film applied to the front bumper, front quarter side panels, hood and painted areas on the mirrors of my M5. The film was rolled underneath the edges so that there were no seams or unprotected areas. Really a fantastic job, although after 6 years, the 3M film has begun to develop a yellowish discoloration. 3M warranties the film for life, so it can be replaced, although the application will probably be at my expense. Cost was around $1200 and has definitely been worth it. No scratches, no rock chips, no dings in 6 years. If/when I sell the car, I can simply remove the film and expose the perfectly preserved paint underneath. I was concerned that the paint may be affected over time, but while my film was being applied, another vehicle was having film replaced. This was a black 650i and after the film was removed, the paint underneath was brand new in appearance. I will definitely look into this for the S.

I got the 3M Venture (I think that's what it's called?) film on my 2006 Infiniti G35 and have no regrets. Actually, I have just one: I only did the default installation, which covers the nose of the car and about 25% of the hood. You can't really see the line where the film ends unless you look closely, but my real problem is that I've had MANY rock chips hit further up the hood. Thus, from now on I plan to get the entire hood done. It's well worth the extra cost, IMO.

It looked like it was at least partially powder coated from the oct event. I think they are powder coating the base color or primer and the clear is a water based polymer. At least that's what it looked like to me from the paint train at the oct event. I hope they have an option for clear coat protection. I like the silicon treatment myself

It looked like it was at least partially powder coated from the oct event. I think they are powder coating the base color or primer and the clear is a water based polymer. At least that's what it looked like to me from the paint train at the oct event. I hope they have an option for clear coat protection. I like the silicon treatment myself

What is the benefit of powder coating vs the "normal" painting techniques (though I understand Tesla is using something a bit more high tech than the "usual").

What is the benefit of powder coating vs the "normal" painting techniques (though I understand Tesla is using something a bit more high tech than the "usual").
Powder coating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla is not powdercoating the Model S so I would recommend PPF. On the Roadster I *think* it was ~$1,900 but that is from my foggy memory and may be completely wrong. It covers the nose, 75% of the hood, lights, mirrors, door edges, under the doors, and around the charge port (in case you drop the connector).

1) The factory tour showed traditional paint booths - not powder coating.
2) Pretty much every car uses electrostatic paint these days - either sprayed or dipped - so that is pretty normal.

On careful review from my pictures and video, the paint train is all liquid and water based. I thought I remembered seeing powder coating there, but I guess not.

$1,900 for a PPF coating. That's alot for a coating and doesn't cover the entire hood- I know there's a mark-up, but I may just do it myself

They do put clear coat on which is fairly common these days. This is nothing like the films mentioned, however it is why the films can successfully be removed. No powder coating.

Do you guys know who can do these coatings? Do they use hair dryers to shrink the film and prevent bubbling? I think the nose cone will be problematic to cover. It will be very difficult to keep clean also.

There are plenty of examples on you tube - they seem to be combination of techniques depending on the film used. That's why I was curious if anyone had specific experience with specific products. It does seem to make sense to me and there may be places that are better than the factory -see autosupershield.com

maybe this is less of an issue with the extending handles, but covering the part behind the door handle is key too. If you check under the handle of your car you'd be surprised by how many scratches there are simply from repeated use and fingernails (especially long nails of women) making contact with the door.