Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painted my MYLR calipers and threw on Uberturbines.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked it up last night and got to work. I painted the front and also the rear caliper + rear cover from Tsportline. Its VHT Burnt Copper engine enamel with Spraymax 2k on top…it really pops with the blue. Also put on the stock MYP CF spoiler. Got more to do today!

4A644329-3CEC-4888-9318-7F583739238E.jpeg
E14B32B3-7AB8-443E-A13F-4533C162BCC7.jpeg
5AF3DE6B-ADCC-4F2A-8D51-E05D70337F16.jpeg
9485566A-C255-41B3-A67B-B8469AE1109C.jpeg
08B1C27C-B0E1-49EF-86A3-95DE208DE169.jpeg

The calipers look great. I truly hope the paint holds up for you. Engine paint is rated to 250 degrees and brake paint to 900 degrees so if it discolors, that's what's going on.
Thanks! I’ve used the same vht engine enamel on my track car and after multiple years of track sessions, it barely changed. However this time I used spraymax 2k on top so let’s see how it holds up! I’m hoping the regenerative braking will naturally cause me to use the brakes less.

Very nice! What’s kind (brand and tint) of gold paint is that?
Thanks! It’s VHT engine enamel in Burnt Copper. You need to clear coat (otherwise it’s very matte); I used Spraymax 2k clear glamour. In hindsight I would have done a black undercoat instead of the gray primer first. That would make the color really pop.

We finally got some nice weather in NY today- here are some pics after ceramic coating the car. This blue color really pops in the right light!

84342F8A-C52A-424F-A33A-C4AE6DE82C08.jpeg
CFDD9C8D-1091-4C27-97EF-E37DE7D6CF98.jpeg

Where did you get those decals? Looks great!

I got them here. It’s the only place I could find the smaller dont decals, everybody else sells the huge ones.

I got the rear caliper covers as a set from
Tsportline, it’s the only set I’ve seen where it assembles well. It uses the back of the caliper rather than the part where it can touch the rotor, so it’s much safer and more secure fit. The others always seem flimsy. I was originally trying to find the OEM cover from tesla but it requires drilling into the caliper and it actually looks cheap.

Here are some more pics of my process for the rears.
Did you do a clear coat over the decals to make sure they stick? If so what kind of clear coat did you use?

Thanks! It’s VHT engine enamel in Burnt Copper. You need to clear coat (otherwise it’s very matte); I used Spraymax 2k clear glamour. In hindsight I would have done a black undercoat instead of the gray primer first. That would make the color really pop.

We finally got some nice weather in NY today- here are some pics after ceramic coating the car. This blue color really pops in the right light!

View attachment 914155View attachment 914156
where you go for Ceramic coating? Is it about $1500? Not sure if I should do it.

Did you do a clear coat over the decals to make sure they stick? If so what kind of clear coat did you use?
where you go for Ceramic coating? Is it about $1500? Not sure if I should do it.
I clearcoated over the decals for sure- used Spraymax 2k and applied heat after for curing.

Also I went to a place in Long Island, I think $1500 depends on what they use and how long they guarantee it for. I did it because of the thin paint and also cuz I’m just crazy with keeping stuff nice and clean!

View attachment 914155View attachment 914156

Wow, this really looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the products you used. I appreciate the tip on the base coat well.

Reactions: SteveFromNY
Wow, this really looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the products you used. I appreciate the tip on the base coat well.
welcome! Also, the instructions say to spray the clear coat on within an hour of the last coat of base coat (color) but I didn’t do that. I was worried about the paint solvents escaping through the clear coat if I applied it so soon. Instead, I let it cure by baking them (with two space heaters) for an hour. The temp measured about 150 degrees. I did this after each last coat (primer, base coat, then clear). Here’s the only pic I took but I did this for all 3 layers.

CE7B4CFE-3B52-4C25-AAC1-A2210A677BFB.jpeg

Installed the rear screen last night and I’m trying to it to connect to Wi-Fi so my kids can watch YouTube.

Does anybody know how I can do this? I have the free trial for premium connectivity but I don’t know how to get wifi out of the car to sync with this screen. Any help is appreciated!

The screen itself is good quality. A little laggy, and also the right part of it is not entirely flush, but it’s very minimal. I also installed with new pedal covers and all weather floormats as well. My kids are great at making anything instantly dirty!

4BA1F75F-E48F-427A-BCD5-2DB930668929.jpeg
1728927D-5180-42B3-8572-103C56A0EB4B.jpeg

42BB62BF-2175-4BB0-BFA5-73D7103DABEA.jpeg

I don't think the car's internet/wifi for premium connectivity is accessible to anything other than the tesla system (if that's what you're trying to do). I would assume any aftermarket system would need piggy back off your phone's mobile hotspot for WiFi

Great little touches. We have a model y 7 seater and my wife loves red calipers. I know its a P color but if it makes her happy. I was gonna go for this bronze/gold color but she doesn't care for it. It's also her car. I'm thinking of painting them a more candy apple.

Picked it up last night and got to work. I painted the front and also the rear caliper + rear cover from Tsportline. Its VHT Burnt Copper engine enamel with Spraymax 2k on top…it really pops with the blue. Also put on the stock MYP CF spoiler. Got more to do today!

View attachment 910785View attachment 910786View attachment 910787View attachment 910788View attachment 910789
I was actually planning on doing this same project soon. I'm in the Houston, TX area & quotes ranged from $275-$380. There's no way this small paint job should be that expensive. Thanks for sharing!

I was actually planning on doing this same project soon. I'm in the Houston, TX area & quotes ranged from $275-$380. There's no way this small paint job should be that expensive. Thanks for sharing!
I agree, it’s just labor for yourself but I think if you prep well and be patient with the multiple light coats, you will kick butt.
Great little touches. We have a model y 7 seater and my wife loves red calipers. I know its a P color but if it makes her happy. I was gonna go for this bronze/gold color but she doesn't care for it. It's also her car. I'm thinking of painting them a more candy apple.
Candy apple would be so cool! If you want to get rear covers, i suggest the ones I got from TSportline. I only used the rear ones, but they secure to the caliper from the back, and not the top like all of the others on the market (which is dangerous because if the screw fails, the metal piece is going right into the actual rotor).

Here's a pic of the typical cover. They use thin aluminum pieces that are very close to the rotor and they attach from the top...there are too many moving parts. If the screws loosen over time, you can pull the cover towards you because there’s so much give.

Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 1.44.44 PM.png

Here is the TSportline one. The bracket is nowhere near the rotor and actually attaches in the back so it clamps towards you (front and back) sandwiching it for a better and safer fit..and its thicker and much stronger and it bolts in so there’s no movement at all once installed.

Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 1.46.07 PM.png

I know I didn't have to paint the actually rear caliper assembly, but I'm OCD with this kind of stuff so I just had to do it. But once the wheel is on, you can barely see the back part.

In hindsight, I could have saved a lot of time just by repainting the Tsportline covers gold and then properly baking them in the oven instead of painting the actual calipers on the car. The tsportline ones cover a large part of the calipers so you can’t even see the stock caliper much at all. Here's a pic of the front for reference.

Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 1.57.25 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: nguyentoogood
Reactions: SteveFromNY