Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painters tape for front end?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a long road trip coming LA to SF. Was wondering if anyone tried covering up the front bumper with painters tape. Does it interfere with EAP?

I did not get a car bra. Or a clear bra. With all the bugs and rocks going up th 5 freeways. Is it ok to use painters tape and not interfere with EAP sensors?

Another option is this...
upload_2018-7-24_16-19-38.jpeg

I did this after a couple of road trips without a clear bra on my old black Honda Civic. Boy did those road trips do a number on my front bumper and hood. I have a black model 3, so I guess when I take my first road trip I’ll be hunting down some black painters tape and avoid placing it over the sensors. Ghetto is the right word but can’t beat $15 protection that works.

I did this after a couple of road trips without a clear bra on my old black Honda Civic. Boy did those road trips do a number on my front bumper and hood. I have a black model 3, so I guess when I take my first road trip I’ll be hunting down some black painters tape and avoid placing it over the sensors. Ghetto is the right word but can’t beat $15 protection that works.

Ya. I’ve done it before in my new (at the time MINI) and it came back pretty beat up from bugs and small stone chips. Since then I’ve only rented cars to do the trip or fly. But i want to take the model 3 on the trip. But don’t want it beat up by bugs and stones.

Heck even the ride on the trailer down from Fremont I can see sooo many left over bugs in between the seals. The service center didn’t do a good job cleaning.

So ya. I think I’ll do the $5 shelf liner trick

Get a roll of Xpel Tracwrap. That's exactly what it's made for.

Tracwrap is a little over $3 per sqft; clear adhesive shelf liner a little under $2; Trakktape a little over $2.

Unless you really want the... lower SES.. look.

ltwd3oJ.png

ETA: you may need to carve out the ultrasonic sensors for any of these solutions. I'm actually REALLY curious whether they interfere to a significant extent. I know XPEL recommends holes, but clearly all the color change wraps don't.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA