Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panel between the Dome Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what's the small mesh panel between the dome lights?

I have recently acquired a dual camera dash cam, and I'd like to install it with as light wiring as possible. It fits over the existing rear view mirror. The power cord is shown in the installation manual as being run up along the inside of the windshield, then down along the posts, across the floorboard, and back up to the 12 volt cigarette charger.

I thought of running a wire to one of the dome lights, but after popping off the cosmetic plastic ring on one, it appears to be a much more complex job. Out of curiosity, I popped open the small mesh panel between the dome lights. I had originally thought that it was a small speaker, but after opening it up, it appears to be some sort of sensor (or 2). There's a yellow sticker on the inside with a date and the word "fog" typed on it. There are 2 connectors and each has 3 wires. One of those wires on each connector is a hot 12 volt.

Does anybody know what this panel is? It doesn't make sense that it's for fog lights, being inside the cabin.

I think that mesh panel houses microphones for voice control and phone calls. But whatever else it contains, look for a third, unused connector with always-on 12V power. It should be in the middle, secured with a piece of tape. I used that extra connector for my dash cam, and didn't have to disturb the other two connectors.

Install of Radar Detector, Dashcam, and Laser Jammer (LONG) includes a photo of the extra connector.

I think that mesh panel houses microphones for voice control and phone calls. But whatever else it contains, look for a third, unused connector with always-on 12V power. It should be in the middle, secured with a piece of tape. I used that extra connector for my dash cam, and didn't have to disturb the other two connectors.

Install of Radar Detector, Dashcam, and Laser Jammer (LONG) includes a photo of the extra connector.

The microphones make sense. I'll just have rto splice into one of those hot wires. Thanks for the swift reply!

Folks recommend to NOT use the hot wire going to the mics. If you have the third middle extra connector (in early and now later cars, but not in some in the middle like mine) then use it. Your other option (that I used) is switched 12V going to the rear view mirror. On my car it was the adjacent red and black wires but use a meter to verify.

I tried the middle extra connector. All voltages were 7.5 volts, not 12. I do not have a set of black/red wires that I can easily locate going to the rear view mirror. I ended up wiring to the 12 volt socket between the seats. More wire to hide, but it also gave me a chance to tear apart my after-market center console to which I added more USB sockets and another 12 volt socket. Now my EV car is much more EV-friendly!

I tried the middle extra connector. All voltages were 7.5 volts, not 12. I do not have a set of black/red wires that I can easily locate going to the rear view mirror. I ended up wiring to the 12 volt socket between the seats. More wire to hide, but it also gave me a chance to tear apart my after-market center console to which I added more USB sockets and another 12 volt socket. Now my EV car is much more EV-friendly!

I just installed a blackvue a few days ago and used that same connector. From the gray to black it was 14v but from the green-red to the black it was something like 10v. Maybe you are measuring that pair? Grey to green-red was 3.4 for me.