Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did the unsuccessful cases work out? They are the ones I'm worried about. ;)

For perpendicular parking, it either works or it doesn't, for the most part. I cannot recall a case when it tried to park my car in a perpendicular space and really messed up. I might quibble with how it spaced the car but no collisions that I recall. More often, it won't try because, as others said, there are no adjacent cars or other obstacles to guide by.
Parallel parking at the curb is a different story. Way back in the early days of AP1, the car struck the curbs twice during parking, and gave two wheels some curb rash. Very unsettling. But I have not had a similar problem in the past 2 or 3 years.
As a retired person, i do not get to use either type of parking very often, so my data set is not very large.

For perpendicular parking, it either works or it doesn't, for the most part. I cannot recall a case when it tried to park my car in a perpendicular space and really messed up. I might quibble with how it spaced the car but no collisions that I recall. More often, it won't try because, as others said, there are no adjacent cars or other obstacles to guide by.
Parallel parking at the curb is a different story. Way back in the early days of AP1, the car struck the curbs twice during parking, and gave two wheels some curb rash. Very unsettling. But I have not had a similar problem in the past 2 or 3 years.
As a retired person, i do not get to use either type of parking very often, so my data set is not very large.

It sounds like you have way more data points than me. :)

I'm so utterly completely crazy jealous of the auto park system and 360 view of the Honda EV.

It sucky sucks not having any form of useful 360 view when parking the Model S. They recently started showing the repeater cameras but as tiny video thumbnails too small to be of actual use.

I really hope they figure out some sort of synthetic 360 view where it shows the curbs and surroundings in 360 view.

Look how helpful the Honda 360 view is for such a tiny car and our much larger Model S has nothing that is helpful for tight parking situations. Even the ultrasonic sensors in the Model S stop counting down after 12 inches so they are of no use when you need them the most.

Honda's auto park interface let's you actually click on the spot you want the car to park in and it parks between the lines with no vehicles needing to be next to you.

I'm also impressed with the XPeng parking system that lets you click on the touch screen which parking space you want the car to park at and look at that awesome 360 view system.

My #1 software wish for Tesla is to prioritize giving us some sort of useful 360 view for tight driving and parking situations.