Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I’m indeed a pro at AutoPark, given that it has never, not once, worked for me in almost two years. Now on v24.6.1, it still doesn’t. The only time I’ve seen the magic “P” appear is stopped in traffic at a light, but not when trying to park.

In your case, you mention an empty lot. AutoPark will only work (supposedly) for an empty space between two occupied spaces. And empty lot will not work.

You asked for a pro tip: pretend it doesn’t exist. Because it doesn’t. For me anyway.

Yeah, I’m indeed a pro at AutoPark, given that it has never, not once, worked for me in almost two years. Now on v24.6.1, it still doesn’t. The only time I’ve seen the magic “P” appear is stopped in traffic at a light, but not when trying to park.

In your case, you mention an empty lot. AutoPark will only work (supposedly) for an empty space between two occupied spaces. And empty lot will not work.

You asked for a pro tip: pretend it doesn’t exist. Because it doesn’t. For me anyway.
Thanks for the chuckle I needed it. Where does the magic ‘P’ appear in the event it works once? ,the dash display or center?

I also very much try to park away from everyone else and in a traditional parking lot it is very rare that I park next to everyone. For parallel parking, I have had the car do this 2 or 3 times, but usually the curbside parking spot is large enough to drive into, or if not I am feeling pressured by traffic behind me to park quickly. The Tesla parking process for parallel takes a moment to engage and observe.

2015 S70D

Parking assist will NOT work in an empty parking lot. It needs a gap between cars to focus...it doesn't use the parking spot lines but rather the images/ultrasonic returns from the cars on either side of the spot. To get it to key (perpendicular parking), you need to drive down the lane about 3-6 feet from the parked cars doing UNDER 3 mph. Once the rear of your car gets about 2-3 feet past the empty parking spot, the P will appear. Same goes for parallel parking. My experience is that those who don't see the P are driving too fast.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot and Zer0t
parking assistant to activate.

No, no.... the parking assistant you need to bring with you for parking assist mode. Your wife / husband / SO has to jump out and make sure the car doesn't hit anything.

Typical scenario:

IMAG8170.jpg

I gave up after the car twice got me really stuck between rows of parked cars then just threw in the towel and told me it couldn't cope!

So to @Zer0t, AutoPark works flawlessly for at least one person, not at all for at least another person, and works “sorta” for others and works but too slowly for others yet. I believe that pretty much covers the entire gamut of possibilities. Clearly the answer to the question about “does AutoPark work?” is: “it might!” Be happy and enjoy.

Reactions: Zer0t
So to @Zer0t, AutoPark works flawlessly for at least one person, not at all for at least another person, and works “sorta” for others and works but too slowly for others yet. I believe that pretty much covers the entire gamut of possibilities. Clearly the answer to the question about “does AutoPark work?” is: “it might!” Be happy and enjoy.
Great post—and it’s accurate.

I would like it to sense a spot when you are travelling faster than a snail's pace (which provides honks from behind) and much slower when it parks (I've never had it complete the park because it reverses so fast that I chicken out when I see the rear camera showing parked cars approaching too fast!)

I knew you had to have cars parked on both sides for the parking assist to activate. Don't try it with a single space with walls on a side as opposed to a car. I tried it and the wall on the sides has a curb that would keep you away from hitting the wall but the Tesla Parking assist doesn't see that curb. So I scraped the curb with my left rear wheel backing in and now my rim has some scratches right where the rim and rubber meet. It's not bad but no longer like new. I may try to polish out the scratches with a Dremel buffer.

The only time I would like to use this is at a Tesla Supercharger as so many of them are tight and when crowded, difficult to line up and back in straight while other cars are trying to get by you. Two of out local Superchargers are right off busy thoroughfares. Every time I have to pull forward to line up cars will beep their horns impatiently waiting for me to back in.

When its not crowded at a Supercharger, if Parking Assist would see those white lines, I'd love it.

I find it works flawlessly if you use it according to the manual and it's capabilities. It needs cars or on either side of the parking space to work!

With AP1, in my experience it will also work (at least sometimes) if you have a car on one side and a post or pillar, as you might find in a parking garage, on the other side -- something large enough to be clearly seen by the ultrasonic sensors. I also had at least one successful parking experience when I wanted to park in the very last space in a row, with a solid granite curb on one side of the space and a car on the other. I must add that both of these situations were experienced many moons ago, and many software updates have happened since either one, so no guarantees the system would work the same today.